Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,995 times

Advertisements

I've searched these threads and most people talk about taking public transportation. Well I've been doing that for 2 years now and I'm sick of it (NJ Transit from hamilton to NYP, then MTA up to midtown east, etc). I have a 2.5 hour commute right now (each way) from south jersey to midtown east (around bottom right of central park). I'm also an *early bird*. I've driven a few times and noticed if I get to the Lincoln Tunnel before 6:30am its not that bad.

So I'm looking to move from waay down in South Jersey to Monroe NY and I'm wondering what the traffic is like at the butt crack of dawn. If I leave at 6:00am is the traffic that bad either 1) down 87, across the tappan zee, then down and hook onto FDR OR 2) down 87 and down 17 across the GW then down FDR?

I assume that if I leave early enough that drive could be done under an hour by beating the traffic. Does anyone do this and can confirm this?

However I would then assume going home leaving work around 3-4pm is gonna be pretty bad. If I leave early enough again I would think it would make this drive bearable but I'm looking to get some opinions from people that actually do this drive and NOT take any public transportation into the city. Your opinions are much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 PM

402 posts, read 811,246 times
Monroe to Midtown- with no traffic you can pull it off, more likely than not your going to take maybe hour and five or ten minutes... Might want to try Route 6 down to Palisades to George washington bridge...

Old 12-24-2012, 10:37 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Monroe to midtown isn't bad at all. We make it from new Windsor in about an hour. But 32 can be slow depending on I'd you need to take it or not.

Coming home it may be an issue BUT 3-4 is MUCH better than 5-6, should take you 1hr 15 minutes at most. If you lived closer to 9w that's a great way to go, there's never any traffic (on the palisades or rt 6)

Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 AM

I disagaree, As many days I leave Westchester at 3 and I encounter a decent ammount of traffic on 9W in Haverstraw, usually holds me up 10 minutes or so, as opposed to when there is no traffic.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 AM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
I disagaree, As many days I leave Westchester at 3 and I encounter a decent ammount of traffic on 9W in Haverstraw, usually holds me up 10 minutes or so, as opposed to when there is no traffic.
Do you mean before 9w (the curvy part) starts? Where the limit is like 30? That's the only place there's ever been traffic- but never 10 minutes

Old 12-26-2012, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,928 times
YOU CAN DO IT!!! I live up in Goshen (next town over next to Monroe) and I travel to Downtown Brooklyn for work. From the times I leave (5am) and usually return on a good day (3pm) or if not after 8pm... my travel time is usually an hour and 35 and the times I have traveled to midtown.. its usually an hour and some change. The thruway is usually clear and you may only hit traffic in the City but its usually not that bad!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 PM

9W, you will always hit traffic in Haverstraw anytime after 3

Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM

211 posts, read 430,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citycopper View Post
YOU CAN DO IT!!! I live up in Goshen (next town over next to Monroe) and I travel to Downtown Brooklyn for work. From the times I leave (5am) and usually return on a good day (3pm) or if not after 8pm... my travel time is usually an hour and 35 and the times I have traveled to midtown.. its usually an hour and some change. The thruway is usually clear and you may only hit traffic in the City but its usually not that bad!

Umm what about Blooming Grove, Chester, Sugar Loaf, Washingtonville, Campbell Hall, Warwick, Florida depending on which way you go are between Monroe and Goshen. How can you forget these fine towns

Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 PM

Those places should only take on a few minutes as they are only a few minutes from 17 in most cases depending on each respective location in the town, and only a few miles up on 17 so take on 10-20 minutes 1st, no traffic should be on 17 until at least 7- 7:30 in AM. I'll estimate the times departing Monroe to entering the city (at GWB not 87 FROM TZ ROUTE) by hour, this is time leaving your house in Monroe via Motor Vehicle.
Any off hour time- 6:00 AM- Approx 1 Hour
7:00 Approx 1:20 Min
8:00 Approx 1:40 Minutes
9:00 Approx 1:40 Mins
One positive about living in that area is that you have 4 different routes which can be change on efficiency depending on circumstances for that particular day. (I 87- to 17 In NJ to GWB. I 87- All the way,ROute 6- Palisades, and I 87-to 208), and with modern tech. you can check on traffic before making the turns, etc as to what would be most sufficient, IE: on my phone I would just say Navigate to : XXXX and the best route considering current traffic reports would direct me.. But Monroe to Midtown for 9AM start time at if that is your start time can be problematic.. But either way, Transit on the West Side of the Hudson in general is less efficient then driving into the city. (Atleast I think so )... From experience, the thruway, and especially the TZ Bridge and Palisades are clear until 6:30-7:00 AM...

Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM

35 posts, read 126,926 times
I commuted from Monroe, NY to Gramercy Park for 5 years. It depends on how fast you drive and what time of day. I will admit that I've done the drive in 45 minutes! But, it also depends on what part of Monroe you're in. I would say that it is safely 1 hour to 1 hour 15 min if you don't hit traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York