Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM

65 posts, read 248,516 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about apartments in the Hudson Valley (there is no section for HV - hopefully this will work - I also posted in the Westchester forum). I'm looking to move to either Orange, Dutchess, Putnam or upper Westchester county in June. I notice that rents are rather high in the towns I'm pursuing (Beacon, Cornwall, Cold Spring). Up $1200 for a decent 2 bdrm - yikes!

What are some other towns that are worth looking into for more affordable prices? The furthest North I'm willing to go is Poughkeepsie. I used to live in the city of Newburgh and I'd like to avoid that. I know it's cheaper, but it's also pretty ghetto these days.

About me: single, professional, female in my mid 30s, two cats, no kids. Work from home (commuting is not a factor). I prefer a friendly neighborhood where I can take walks without being on edge. I like going to pubs, cafes, live music, etc… I enjoy outdoor activities; hiking, biking, skiing, etc… It would be nice to be near the river, but not vital to my choice. I detest apt complexes or high rises. I really prefer a house setting; possibly a duplex/triplex, upstairs or down. Must have laundry (or hook-ups) onsite.

Also, can someone give me some feedback on average utility costs? Heat (gas or electric?), hot water, electricity…. Is the provider Central Hudson for all of this? I've seen some craigslist apt ads that state tenants pay an average of $80-100 per month for all of these combined. That sounds too cheap and good to be true. I come from upstate where our heat is gas and it can be reeeeally expensive in the winter (true, it's much colder up here).

Is craigslist the best place for apt hunting in the Hudson Valley?
Any advise or tips is much appreciated!!
Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,102 times
Unfortunately there's always been a shortage of rental units in the area, so the ones that do exist go for a relatively high price. I'd stay away from Poughkeepsie and look in the Wappingers/Fishkill area. Hopewell, LaGrangeville, and Pleasant Valley are decent too, but off the beaten path some. Unfortunately, you will be mostly looking at complexes but you might find a few rentals like you're looking for. If you're telecommuting, make sure you can get Verizon FIOS wherever you end up. Cablevision is pretty hit or miss in a lot of places, FIOS works much better but isn't available everywhere, and some rental places won't let them come in and wire for it.

I would actually search both Craigslist and apartments.com, but there's also no substitute for driving around looking for "For Rent" signs sometimes.

$80-$100 a month sounds a little low unless you're in a place where you get free heat and hot water, like they do in apartment complexes. I own an 800 sq foot condo, and I'm paying between $200 and $350 every two months (Central Hudson bills every two months), depending on whether it's summer or winter. I have electric heat and hot water and live alone.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 AM

npaladin2000, thanks so much for the feedback. i appreciate the info. i plan to come down and do some drive-arounds once winter ends, and hopefully i will find something. also, from what i understand the west side of the river tends to rent a little lower than the east? i lived in the HV about 12 years ago and i don't remember it being this expensive.

i've heard mixed reviews on poughkeepsie. i've spent a little time there, but not a lot, and it was many years ago. is it really as bad as people say it is? i don't mind urban, just not into a ghetto atmosphere. what about middletown?

thanks!!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv.ny View Post
npaladin2000, thanks so much for the feedback. i appreciate the info. i plan to come down and do some drive-arounds once winter ends, and hopefully i will find something. also, from what i understand the west side of the river tends to rent a little lower than the east? i lived in the HV about 12 years ago and i don't remember it being this expensive.

i've heard mixed reviews on poughkeepsie. i've spent a little time there, but not a lot, and it was many years ago. is it really as bad as people say it is? i don't mind urban, just not into a ghetto atmosphere. what about middletown?

thanks!!
Middletown is pretty good, better than Newburgh. I hate Newburgh but New Windsor is OK. Most of the "stuff" on that side of the river is in Middletown and Newburgh, whereas there's a lot more on the east side of the river, I think that's why prices are a little higher.

I've noticed gas is cheaper on that side of the river too.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM

I've seen some nice looking apartments in Poughkeepsie; big Victorians with hardwood floors (NO wall-wall carpeting), high ceilings, claw-foot tubs and porches. Exactly what I like (and what I'm used to). Many of these are around Vassar. What are you reasons for avoiding Poughkeepsie? Is it ghetto? Is the Vassar area okay? Is that considered town or city of Poughkeepsie?

Thanks again :-)

Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,345 times
A lot has changed in this area in the last 12 years! The counties you named have grown a lot and many commute down to the city for work; thus, prices have risen substantially.

To answer your Vassar question, Vassar is located in the Town of Poughkeepsie.

Some of the places that are worth your time, based on your preferences:

Orange County: Washingtonville, Cornwall, Pine Bush, Montgomery, Chester, Goshen, Town of Wallkill (Middletown)

Dutchess County: Beacon, Wappingers, Fishkill, Town of Poughkeepsie

Putnam County: Cold Spring, Brewster

Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv.ny View Post
I've seen some nice looking apartments in Poughkeepsie; big Victorians with hardwood floors (NO wall-wall carpeting), high ceilings, claw-foot tubs and porches. Exactly what I like (and what I'm used to). Many of these are around Vassar. What are you reasons for avoiding Poughkeepsie? Is it ghetto? Is the Vassar area okay? Is that considered town or city of Poughkeepsie?

Thanks again :-)
Because the City of Poughkeepsie outside of the area around Vassar College is very ghetto, yes. Going there answers the question of why people want to buy semi-auto assault rifles with high capacity magazines (because the criminals there have belt-fed full-auto ones, cue laughter).

Town of Poughkeepsie is generally a little better, but I just consider most of the other towns in the vicinity as more desirable areas. But definitely stay clear of the City of Poughkeepsie.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM

Haha, understood :-)
I'm really interested in pursuing Beacon. Such a beautiful town.
Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM

thanks jen! i've been to warwick a few times (many years ago) and i remember it being beautiful and feeling very comfortable. i'm having a difficult time finding rentals that are not in a complex, or apt building. i much prefer a house setting, or even a townhouse... i've had my fill of shoebox apts in a complex. :-)

Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM

32 posts, read 57,204 times
Hello kv.ny, have you considered the New Paltz area. Quite a few decent pubs, cafes and live music in town. And the surrounding area has some great hiking — especially within the Shawangunk mountains. You can take a bus from New Paltz and be in Manhattan in about 90 minutes or so— nice for weekend trips. Rents in the town of New Paltz may be a bit higher than the surrounding areas.

Beacon seems like a good choice and worth pursuing if you can find a rental in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York