Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times

Advertisements

I love renting a cottage each summer on Keuka Lake. Also enjoy spending time on Skaneateles at a friend's lake house. I bring my dogs with me on these little Finger Lakes vacations and so far have not had any problems with ticks, although it's said they are moving into the area more and more. Do you Finger Lakes area dog owners find them on your pups in the summertime?

And a bonus question: are you bothered by lots of mosquitoes at any point in the year? Again, in my summer trips to the Finger Lakes I've not had a problem with them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Best thing you can do is have them on flea/tick prevention meds. Most times you won't ever see a tick on your furballs. One of mine is a carrier of Lyme disease and has been since she was a puppy. We never saw the tick or the bite. She's been on antibiotics to fight it on and off a few times.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM

308 posts, read 467,398 times
My pup is a carrier too. We remove a tick about every two weeks for my dog (in CA). Hoping my move to the Finger Lakes will see a reduction in ticks.

There is a separate section on this forum for pets. You might get more response.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
I'm in Rochester and never had ticks until this past summer. I found one on my dog. I've also found that this past summer a lot of other owners who had no problems before, found ticks on their pets.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM

35 posts, read 53,803 times
This year has been notoriously bad around the area and we have 5 dogs . Despite tick prevention treatments, one of our dogs did develop
a Positive Lymes titre and thus became clinical w joint synovitis and lameness. Questioning the vets.. its the worst year they have seen in a long time. The dog was put on doxycycline for over a month and became much less symptomatic w joint swelling and limited ambulation after about 2wks but it is recommended to do 4wks minimum. As tick season approaches, I would highly advise you inspect your dogs daily especially if your dogs like to run/walk the trails. The deer run rampant here . And to tell you the truth be cautious about tick bites to humans as well.

As for mosquitos and biting gnats.. the summer is the worst. Most repellants works well but on some days/nights , mosquito netting around your lake side camp fire is not out of the question. Good luck.. love the lakes...!!!! And don't forget the wines....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York