U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Florida
11,669 posts, read 16,763,468 times
Reputation: 8211

Advertisements

I have spent the last 5 weeks traveling the entire nation, visiting various places so that I can make the best decision possible with regard to moving to somewhere new. I have no job, but I do have a master's in accounting with 5 yrs of experience, and plenty of cash savings in the bank. I'm 28 years old, gay and from the Hartford, CT area.

Based on all of my travels, I came to the realization that I would ONLY consider living in Florida or the Northeast. To me, the rest of the country is just bit too foreign, culturally. Everything revolves around religion, conservatism (no offense) and being 100% Italian, I felt like an oddball.

So, I've decided that if I am to settle in Florida, it will be in the southeastern region of the state. But for some reason, my intuition is curious about the cities along the upstate NY Thruway. I visited most of them over the summer and was actually intrigued, fascinated and in some ways impressed. But I'm not sure if it's deceiving or what.

I generally like southeast FL for many reasons, but my hesitations are the lack of seasons and extreme urbanization and overdevelopment. Contrast that to upstate NY, where the zoning is more natural, traffic congestion is minimal, and you have seasonal changes (although colder and snowier than I'd prefer). But are the winters really THAT bad, coming from central CT?

My main curious question is this: Are Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse more Midwestern feeling than New England, and to what extent? Would it be culture shock coming from CT? Are they much slower paced? Based on my research it seems that the Rochester area would be best to move to with no job, since housing is cheap, and the economy seems to be fair enough there, as well as a substantial gay population. Just for reference, I personally cannot STAND the Midwest or Midwestern culture in general. And to me, Pennsylvania is too Midwestern for me, and "hickish." I could never live there...not even Pittsburgh.

I guess one of the main differences between those cities and southern New England is that they are very isolated from each other, with no sprawl in between.

Do people up there say "y'all?" If so, I can't stand that lol.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
 
3,234 posts, read 8,315,045 times
Reputation: 2773
Having traveled to the midwest and Ct extensively for work, upstate is not midwestern at all. Coming from CT, there will not be much of a culture shock. You will see much more snow, but snow removal is pretty good in all upstate cities.
They are more midwestern feeling than New England, but with that said, they are not midwestern in any significant manner. I have spent time in Hartford and Eastern CT and find the people to be similar to where I am in the Rochester area. Upstate cities do not have a Boston or NYC pace of life, but have a faster pace of life than midwestern cities of their size.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Florida
11,669 posts, read 16,763,468 times
Reputation: 8211
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Having traveled to the midwest and Ct extensively for work, upstate is not midwestern at all. Coming from CT, there will not be much of a culture shock. You will see much more snow, but snow removal is pretty good in all upstate cities.
They are more midwestern feeling than New England, but with that said, they are not midwestern in any significant manner. I have spent time in Hartford and Eastern CT and find the people to be similar to where I am in the Rochester area. Upstate cities do not have a Boston or NYC pace of life, but have a faster pace of life than midwestern cities of their size.
Well that sounds good. I mean, I'm sure that no two places are 100% alike, but I just feel like I don't fit into the Midwest at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
 
78,224 posts, read 106,167,665 times
Reputation: 16751
Being Italian, you may like places or parts of places like Gates, Frankfort, Seneca Falls, Rotterdam, Lyncourt, Solvay(Inc. Lakeland), Canastota and East Rochester, among others. All have some of the highest percentages in terms of Italians in the country. Frankfort is second only behind Johnston RI, which has the highest percentage of Italian makeup of a community. It is just east of Utica. If you have more questions, just ask.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Florida
11,669 posts, read 16,763,468 times
Reputation: 8211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Being Italian, you may like places or parts of places like Gates, Frankfort, Seneca Falls, Rotterdam, Lyncourt, Solvay(Inc. Lakeland), Canastota and East Rochester, among others. All have some of the highest percentages in terms of Italians in the country. Frankfort is second only behind Johnston RI, which has the highest percentage of Italian makeup of a community. It is just east of Utica. If you have more questions, just ask.
Well I mean, it's not that critical to me lol. I have never been to Italy, nor do I speak any Italian. I also hate cooking and dislike most Italian food. I'm more concerned about the way I look. You know, black hair, brown eyes, short/small build, etc. What I didn't like about San Diego and most other parts of the country was that I stuck out like a sore thumb in that regard. But as far as living goes...no, I don't care about living in an Italian neighborhood. I just want to be able to see other people that resemble me when I'm out and about in public or at work. That's all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM
 
78,224 posts, read 106,167,665 times
Reputation: 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well I mean, it's not that critical to me lol. I have never been to Italy, nor do I speak any Italian. I also hate cooking and dislike most Italian food. I'm more concerned about the way I look. You know, black hair, brown eyes, short/small build, etc. What I didn't like about San Diego and most other parts of the country was that I stuck out like a sore thumb in that regard. But as far as living goes...no, I don't care about living in an Italian neighborhood. I just want to be able to see other people that resemble me when I'm out and about in public or at work. That's all.
I don't see any issue here, but considering the features, you didn't see that in San Diego?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Florida
11,669 posts, read 16,763,468 times
Reputation: 8211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't see any issue here, but considering the features, you didn't see that in San Diego?
There are barely any Italian people in the San Diego area. Everyone was super tall and it made me feel very very strange, everywhere I went. In the 5 days I was there, I literally saw nobody who was white and as short as me. Not one person. And I went out and about to malls, restaurants, parks, etc. I need to feel comfortable in a place to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Deep in the Woods
2,956 posts, read 3,420,088 times
Reputation: 4045
I think upstate NY is the antithesis of southeastern Florida. I'm short, stocky, and Italian and never felt out of place in most places around the USA. Exceptions being rural Georgia, rural Utah, and most of WV. Also, I think being unique looking might benefit you in a lot of ways. Nothing wrong with it.

I've spent a lot of time in CA and never felt out of place, in fact, blondes are probably more out of place in a lot of CA. Mexican and Central Americans people are not known for having light hair or being particularly tall

Check out Sacramento, SF, Seattle, and Denver. No accents, and very accepting population. I don't think you'd have an issue Upstate either. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 AM
 
78,224 posts, read 106,167,665 times
Reputation: 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There are barely any Italian people in the San Diego area. Everyone was super tall and it made me feel very very strange, everywhere I went. In the 5 days I was there, I literally saw nobody who was white and as short as me. Not one person. And I went out and about to malls, restaurants, parks, etc. I need to feel comfortable in a place to live.
I was thinking in terms of physical features, not ethnicity. There are Italian communities in places that many people wouldn't think of like Independence LA, which has a high percentage of Italians(Sicilians). Some towns in WV do because many worked in the coal mines. Clarksburg comes to mind. Same with some towns in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, but it was, as due to other forms of mining. Iron Mountain comes to mind there. St. Louis has the Hill neighborhood and there are communities in Kansas City, Denver, San Francisco/Bay Area, College Station TX, New Orleans, some Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas Gulf towns and Seattle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top