Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joysey77 View Post
My family is from NYC , my husband works in NYC and we live in NJ. We plan on after he retires moving to upstate NY. Im a conservative ( yes, I know a rarity in NY and NJ) anyhow, its always seemed to me that the politics of the 5 boroughs dictates the political enviroment over all of the state. I understand its because most of the population is in NYC. But to me, it seems, whats good for the city, spreads like wild fire through the state. I cant say for sure though being I never lived in the state. Is this true? Can a conservative live in NY ? Ive seen demographics for many towns and counties that are red. But Im wondering if regradless of what you vote, as a whole, the liberalism of NYC controls the whole state? What do you think? I personally hate NJ views so Im assuming NY is the same but Im hoping there is more room for conservatives because the state is so much bigger.
I can't find map, but I do know in one election (post 2000), New York was largely "red". Upstate & Westchester. Probably changed by now.

Politics don't care too much for, but it's simple and wouldn't be surprised if it's still like that today.
Republican is presideant, wealthy keep their money. Anytime a democrat is president wealthy loose their money.

For example, people in the FED/ White House actually thought of taxing the rich 70-80% lol. Romney didn't think taxes would fix deficit. Nuff said. Think someone posted article about it on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM

66 posts, read 119,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
I can't find map, but I do know in one election (post 2000), New York was largely "red". Upstate & Westchester. Probably changed by now.

Politics don't care too much for, but it's simple and wouldn't be surprised if it's still like that today.
Republican is presideant, wealthy keep their money. Anytime a democrat is president wealthy loose their money.

For example, people in the FED/ White House actually thought of taxing the rich 70-80% lol. Romney didn't think taxes would fix deficit. Nuff said. Think someone posted article about it on here.
Put a demoCRAP in charge and they take all the money and give it to welfare. Hate that!! Welfare was meant to be temporary , not a career choice!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
As long as NYC is part of the state, it "looks" blue. So do all the cities, because that is where you get the high concentration of Dems. However, Most of western NY is fairly red - outside of the cities. I am in a red district, so is most of the southern tier. It is also highly. All is relevant to the specific area.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Wrong.....mostly red with pockets of blue (the upstate inner cities)
The same upstate cities that contain most of the population.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
What some people fail to realize is that these large red areas don't have that many people. If you look where the people are, it's blue in much of the area

Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 AM

341 posts, read 684,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joysey77 View Post
Put a demoCRAP in charge and they take all the money and give it to welfare. Hate that!! Welfare was meant to be temporary , not a career choice!
Welfare is temporary. Mean time collecting TANF is only 18 months.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:02 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times
NY is actually a greenish-orange shade, particularly in November. There's enough cross-influence in this state where the one thing that is not welcome are inflexible idiots belonging to the establishment of either party that think ideology trumps facts. We signed the Constitution here, and fought at the side of George Washington, we know the value of freedom and liberty. As the home of Lady Liberty we swim in the value of diverse cultures from all over the world. We're also the fiscal capital of the world, so if some goofball thinks they can balance the budget only through taxes, or only through little nickel-and-dime spending cuts, we've got the math to prove them wrong.

But more important than anything else, NY State is united in wanting the New England Patriots to lose, and lose badly.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:03 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
But more important than anything else, NY State is united in wanting the New England Patriots to lose, and lose badly.
Hey, speak for yourself. I no longer live in NY State but I am still a huge Giants fan, but the Patriots are my AFC team and I know of quite a few people that still live in NY that will be rooting for the Patriots to win. The only time I root against the Patriots is when they play the Giants.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
Hey, speak for yourself. I no longer live in NY State but I am still a huge Giants fan, but the Patriots are my AFC team and I know of quite a few people that still live in NY that will be rooting for the Patriots to win. The only time I root against the Patriots is when they play the Giants.
Hmm, don't mind the black van that just pulled up nearby, nothing to worry about, bwa ha ha.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 PM

149 posts, read 303,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't go that far, as Upstate NY is way more urban that Downstate Illinois.
I'm from Western NY/the Southern Tier, and I've driven cross-country....I actually think where I'm from is pretty comparable to southern IL. Sparsely populated, a smattering of farms, lots of small towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
As long as NYC is part of the state, it "looks" blue. So do all the cities, because that is where you get the high concentration of Dems. However, Most of western NY is fairly red - outside of the cities. I am in a red district, so is most of the southern tier. It is also highly. All is relevant to the specific area.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York