Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM

449 posts, read 877,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It went into effect the moment Gov. Cuomo signed it, shortly after 5pm last night. He "waived" the usual three-day waiting period on new legislation, as if it was some kind of gift. It took effect immediately.
That is what you would call, ''IN A NEW YORK MINUTE.''
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You really need to come up for air when reading you propoganda. Even with the new laws in effect there are more weapons in private hands than most small countries have. I don't know why you perceive a tyranical plot is occuring, I would be more worried about religious leaders who get involved with politics than the yokels in office.

I hope you vote, it's rather embarassing those who complain but won't take the time to participate in the process....

Look at how the govt officials live? Look at most of us? Our problems today are soley because of inefficient bureaucracy and government mismanagement ove the decades. I never stated there is a tyrannical plot occurring. I said it could happen. If it ever occurred, I want to be armed. I am not delusional, depressed or suffer any other mental disease. I don;t hate people. I work a 9-5, pay taxes, and enjoy the liberties most of us take for granted. Some may mock any arguements that deal with Tyranny but have you seriously taken the time to think about it? What makes us so different from any other country in the world?

You point out religious leaders which is a point I agree with but what about ppl like Cheney? I mean if you took the time to read the stats, most of these crimes occur with illegal handguns, not legal assualt weapons. So, why are law abiding citizens punished for the actions of so few? Why can't we restrict hate from our freedom of speech? Brazil does it. Im sure it would stop some ppl from resorting to crimes that involve guns. Has there been any research on that? I doubt it. The NYS gov;t was so efficient and quick to pass this gun law, yet they are painfully slow on other numerous important issues. Why is that? Why can;t they work like this EVERYDAY? I am starting to loose my faith in Democracy. At least with a King, if he is corrupt or a tyrannt you can take him out. What about a corrupt, tyrannical body of elected officials? YOu forget these scumbags never even had a law governing insider trading pertaining to them yet we the people do? Its funny that Obama was the first person to take the intiative to stop that. They have life long pensions after only one term, yet we all have to work yrs if we are lucky.

The problem is we elect lawyers to political positions when other fast growing economies are led by distinguished leaders in finance or engineering. China;s Politburo consists of about 13 officials who were all engineers by profession. Engineers by profession are taught to analyze all sorts of informaton before coming to a decision. In their case, they have 13. India's PM is an Oxford educated finance guru. India is developing a low cost tablet for school children to use, elimnate costly textbooks, set higher educational standards, etc. The only reason they haven;t done it yet, is because they want to lower costs by making all the components domestically without having to import foreign parts. This move alone would help create a new industry. Where is our gov't? NYC Mayoral Candiate Christine Quinn has proposed a similiar tablet to eliminate textbooks but I'm asking you she only thought about this in 2013? I have thought about this 18 yrs ago. I am not belittling her (at least she put it out there) but where is the vision in this country?

Now back to Tyranny or other crazy scenarios. Its crazy how we are so quick to forget our own history of protests and rioting. Hurricane Sandy revealed an ugly side to humanity in NY. Look at how ppl were acting over food and gas. This was just a Hurricane, just imagine if it's something worse? How about deny us our pensions? What you think that's not possible?

Well here read up the links that state how NY politicans are working behind the scenes to find a way to have NYS declare bankruptcy so they can get out of their penison obligations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/bu...nted=all&_r=1&

Report: State budget on 'unsustainable course' - The Insider | Crain's New York Business

New York public pensions - Sunshine Review

Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM

341 posts, read 684,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
There was/is reason to wait indefinitely.
What is the reason? The SCOTUS most recent ruling on the second amendment clearly states the states are authorized to regulate the types of guns for sale in their state, who can carry, and where they can carry.

So, what reason can you provide for waiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I agree. Why does NY have to pass legislation before Connecticut? The arguement for banning guns is stupid. I don;t trust our elected officials. They only look out for themselves. Who will protect us when tyranny falls upon us? The cops will become a powerful entity due to their access to weapons. Im not saying it's going to happen but it's all about checks and balances. We have nothing to check our gov;t if things hit the roof.
I agree. Banning guns is pretty stupid, about as effective as breed bans for dogs. However, the law passed does more than just ban guns. It creates a central registry of deadly weapons used for mass killing, requires re-certification of licensees, provides a system to prevent mentally ill individuals from getting/using guns, along with a few other items.

If you are so worried about tyranny, why don't you just start voting for representatives who promise to slash the DoD's budget? An unfunded military is a military we don't need to fear.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
With Executive Orders being used every convenient moment, ALL of our representatives could vote No and it still wouldn't matter.

The reason? The 2nd Amendment is for the common man to be able to defend himself from tyranny. ^Increasingly tyrannical behavior.^ King George, anyone? The Greatest Thomas Jefferson quotes

When tyranny is made legal, it is not made RIGHT. When good actions are illegal, it is not made WRONG. Every despot makes his future crimes legal before he does them.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
What is the reason? The SCOTUS most recent ruling on the second amendment clearly states the states are authorized to regulate the types of guns for sale in their state, who can carry, and where they can carry.

So, what reason can you provide for waiting?

I agree. Banning guns is pretty stupid, about as effective as breed bans for dogs. However, the law passed does more than just ban guns. It creates a central registry of deadly weapons used for mass killing, requires re-certification of licensees, provides a system to prevent mentally ill individuals from getting/using guns, along with a few other items.

If you are so worried about tyranny, why don't you just start voting for representatives who promise to slash the DoD's budget? An unfunded military is a military we don't need to fear.

If we you truly analyze the political system, our votes don;t mean much at all. The politicians listen to the lobbyists more than the ppl. All I see with this law are more ways to make more money of us. If they were so interested in safety, they would place more emphasis on the source of illegal guns because the majority of crimes are committed by such weapons. Now mentally ill are the new boogeymen? If we were so concerned and passionate, why are we cutting the operating expenses of psych hospitals?

DWI's were raised on an issue of safety and has now become an issue of making money for local PD's and towns/cities. Even as the debate of marijuana legalization takes place, there are already calls as to how to determine what limits for DWI's involving weed. Everything has to do with fleecing more money of us, nothing to do with safety.

Gun owners are scared and should be, because this is just another step towards a goal of making America Gun free. We used so many incidents to justify stricter gun laws. Yet, we do very little about gov't corruption and mismanagement. We are so quick to pass gun laws yet take yrs to come to the table on other pressing issues. Why is that? Knives and fists kill more ppl than guns in America.

You can vote for anyone you like, you are not getting anything different. Its the same old crap with the same old folks. Our vote has become a symbol nothing more.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Look at how the govt officials live? Look at most of us? Our problems today are soley because of inefficient bureaucracy and government mismanagement ove the decades. I never stated there is a tyrannical plot occurring. I said it could happen. If it ever occurred, I want to be armed. I am not delusional, depressed or suffer any other mental disease. I don;t hate people. I work a 9-5, pay taxes, and enjoy the liberties most of us take for granted. Some may mock any arguements that deal with Tyranny but have you seriously taken the time to think about it? What makes us so different from any other country in the world?
You point out religious leaders which is a point I agree with but what about ppl like Cheney? I mean if you took the time to read the stats, most of these crimes occur with illegal handguns, not legal assualt weapons. So, why are law abiding citizens punished for the actions of so few? Why can't we restrict hate from our freedom of speech? Brazil does it. Im sure it would stop some ppl from resorting to crimes that involve guns. Has there been any research on that? I doubt it. The NYS gov;t was so efficient and quick to pass this gun law, yet they are painfully slow on other numerous important issues. Why is that? Why can;t they work like this EVERYDAY? I am starting to loose my faith in Democracy. At least with a King, if he is corrupt or a tyrannt you can take him out. What about a corrupt, tyrannical body of elected officials? YOu forget these scumbags never even had a law governing insider trading pertaining to them yet we the people do? Its funny that Obama was the first person to take the intiative to stop that. They have life long pensions after only one term, yet we all have to work yrs if we are lucky.

The problem is we elect lawyers to political positions when other fast growing economies are led by distinguished leaders in finance or engineering. China;s Politburo consists of about 13 officials who were all engineers by profession. Engineers by profession are taught to analyze all sorts of informaton before coming to a decision. In their case, they have 13. India's PM is an Oxford educated finance guru. India is developing a low cost tablet for school children to use, elimnate costly textbooks, set higher educational standards, etc. The only reason they haven;t done it yet, is because they want to lower costs by making all the components domestically without having to import foreign parts. This move alone would help create a new industry. Where is our gov't? NYC Mayoral Candiate Christine Quinn has proposed a similiar tablet to eliminate textbooks but I'm asking you she only thought about this in 2013? I have thought about this 18 yrs ago. I am not belittling her (at least she put it out there) but where is the vision in this country?

Now back to Tyranny or other crazy scenarios. Its crazy how we are so quick to forget our own history of protests and rioting. Hurricane Sandy revealed an ugly side to humanity in NY. Look at how ppl were acting over food and gas. This was just a Hurricane, just imagine if it's something worse? How about deny us our pensions? What you think that's not possible?

Well here read up the links that state how NY politicans are working behind the scenes to find a way to have NYS declare bankruptcy so they can get out of their penison obligations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/bu...nted=all&_r=1&

Report: State budget on 'unsustainable course' - The Insider | Crain's New York Business

New York public pensions - Sunshine Review
OK, it took me a while to have a dedicated block to read through this post...phew..

I think our problems have been compunded by an "ineffciient bureaucracy and goverment mismanagement" but where is the citizens responsibility. All I hear is the goverment but how many even bother to vote and of those who do how many actually look/get informed on the issues. Most people don't ever attend town meetings or anything but when something happens "the goverment is at fault" .

What makes us different than other countries is we have always had a belief in a democratic system where all men are created equal. We haven't always functioned as such but we strive towards this ideal. For many other countries democracy is just the latest goverment form and not always in the best way. I searved in the Navy 20 years and had the opportunity to see alot of countries.

What do you mean by CHeney? I don't argue hand guns are the previlent model in crimes but what purpose do people need with high capacity assault rifles? All I hear is the NRA lines over and over. As for NYS Goverment you are not going to get an argument from me. Goverment pensions are a travisty and you as every citizen needs to put some thought behind their vote and get involved.

I am glad to read India wants a self produced tablet for school use now can they focus on the quality of life most of their people have. I will take written text books over dung hut walls anyday.. As for their education it is good but they are coming here because there are no jobs at home. The mayoral candidate has yet to deal with the city unions, that will be an eye opener..

I don't fear tyranny the way you and others do, I will concede you present a afar better argument than some the "rantings" on these boards recently. Sandy showed that once again we are human and the first problem was ever one had their hand out. ...

Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
If we you truly analyze the political system, our votes don;t mean much at all. The politicians listen to the lobbyists more than the ppl. All I see with this law are more ways to make more money of us. If they were so interested in safety, they would place more emphasis on the source of illegal guns because the majority of crimes are committed by such weapons. Now mentally ill are the new boogeymen? If we were so concerned and passionate, why are we cutting the operating expenses of psych hospitals?
I agree. We should look at the source of the guns used in crime: The gun industry. Which is why a good first step is repealing the "Protection of Lawful Commerce Act", which shields dealers and manufacturers from liability suits, above and beyond any other industry in the US.

We also need to look at criminalizing failure to secure your weapons. Guns can only get stolen, if they are not secured.

Quote:
DWI's were raised on an issue of safety and has now become an issue of making money for local PD's and towns/cities. Even as the debate of marijuana legalization takes place, there are already calls as to how to determine what limits for DWI's involving weed. Everything has to do with fleecing more money of us, nothing to do with safety.
Again, I agree, to a point. DWI's are liable to get you jail time. And, our DWI laws have in fact, reduced DWI's over the years.

Quote:
Gun owners are scared and should be, because this is just another step towards a goal of making America Gun free. We used so many incidents to justify stricter gun laws. Yet, we do very little about gov't corruption and mismanagement. We are so quick to pass gun laws yet take yrs to come to the table on other pressing issues. Why is that? Knives and fists kill more ppl than guns in America.
It's always this slippery slope I hear. Even with the "draconian gun laws" in NYS, you can STILL go to a gun store, buy a rifle, and be back home in an hour.

Now, about the "knives and fists kill more people", that's not really true. Guns were used in 67% of homicides according to the most recent data I could find (Murder Weapon Statistics | Statistic Brain).

Quote:
You can vote for anyone you like, you are not getting anything different. Its the same old crap with the same old folks. Our vote has become a symbol nothing more.
That's just not really true, otherwise, people wouldn't be so upset about Obama winning the recent election

Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Hamburg attorney part of pending suit against Cuomo gun law - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Gun rights rally to be held Saturday - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Hope the links work. Buffalo & Western NY law-abiding gun owners are NOT happy. I find the 1st more significant.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Hamburg attorney part of pending suit against Cuomo gun law - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Gun rights rally to be held Saturday - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Hope the links work. Buffalo & Western NY law-abiding gun owners are NOT happy. I find the 1st more significant.
Someone is always unhappy about something.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
I agree. We should look at the source of the guns used in crime: The gun industry. Which is why a good first step is repealing the "Protection of Lawful Commerce Act", which shields dealers and manufacturers from liability suits, above and beyond any other industry in the US.

We also need to look at criminalizing failure to secure your weapons. Guns can only get stolen, if they are not secured.

Again, I agree, to a point. DWI's are liable to get you jail time. And, our DWI laws have in fact, reduced DWI's over the years.

It's always this slippery slope I hear. Even with the "draconian gun laws" in NYS, you can STILL go to a gun store, buy a rifle, and be back home in an hour.

Now, about the "knives and fists kill more people", that's not really true. Guns were used in 67% of homicides according to the most recent data I could find (Murder Weapon Statistics | Statistic Brain).

That's just not really true, otherwise, people wouldn't be so upset about Obama winning the recent election

Guns can stolen from a variety not just citizens. But I agree you should make a point to secure your firearms. But why the need to criminalize?

Of course, DWI laws will reduce DWI;s, that a no brainer. Again we are quick to criminalize yet we don;t try any other options. How about differientating a DWI that causes no harm versus one that causes harm? How about allowing for a way for ppl convicted with a DWI without harm/injury to others to be given a chance to clean or expunge their record? DWI's cause more damage than good. Why is President Bush able to expunge and clean his DWI in Texas back then and now you cannot do that? Why is that Liberal NYS is more strict than Conservative Texas with regard to this? As for gun stats, why don;t you delve deeper and examine what were the type of guns used? Handguns, shotguns, Assualt weapons,etc? Then take look were they legal or illegal?

Again your vote doesn;t mean much. Voting for either party is voting for any side of the same coin. They all have the same agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York