Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
OK, it took me a while to have a dedicated block to read through this post...phew..

I think our problems have been compunded by an "ineffciient bureaucracy and goverment mismanagement" but where is the citizens responsibility. All I hear is the goverment but how many even bother to vote and of those who do how many actually look/get informed on the issues. Most people don't ever attend town meetings or anything but when something happens "the goverment is at fault" .

What makes us different than other countries is we have always had a belief in a democratic system where all men are created equal. We haven't always functioned as such but we strive towards this ideal. For many other countries democracy is just the latest goverment form and not always in the best way. I searved in the Navy 20 years and had the opportunity to see alot of countries.

What do you mean by CHeney? I don't argue hand guns are the previlent model in crimes but what purpose do people need with high capacity assault rifles? All I hear is the NRA lines over and over. As for NYS Goverment you are not going to get an argument from me. Goverment pensions are a travisty and you as every citizen needs to put some thought behind their vote and get involved.

I am glad to read India wants a self produced tablet for school use now can they focus on the quality of life most of their people have. I will take written text books over dung hut walls anyday.. As for their education it is good but they are coming here because there are no jobs at home. The mayoral candidate has yet to deal with the city unions, that will be an eye opener..

I don't fear tyranny the way you and others do, I will concede you present a afar better argument than some the "rantings" on these boards recently. Sandy showed that once again we are human and the first problem was ever one had their hand out. ...

Town meetings should be changed a bit to fit the times. Its hard for many ppl to attend. You are correct, if citizens more informed and took an active interest things might be better. Local gov'ts could start an online forum for meetings. We need to adapt better to the times. Tech can be our friend if utilized properly. All issues, pro's and con's, possible solutions, etc. could be be within the reach of every citizen. Kids need to be thought the importance and practice of Democracy in school sinece parents may not be aware. We practice Democracy but we need to infuse more tech into it. Im asking for low cost options that would refine the process, not expensive solution. I sure Google would love to reform our democracy in a creative, free, efficient manner.

The reason I brought up education is that even though we are decent, we can go a lot higher. Our citizens are not informed properly, you have certain parties trying to cut educational funding while others try to prop up an inefficient system that wastes lots of money. Again use tech to trim the fat and streamline efficiency. If people can;t read, write or calculate....how can we expect them to make rational sane decsions?

India is a ****hole for a variety of reasons including democracy. Their professionals coming here has more to do with salary then jobs. Also, almost every G8 country goes there with headhunters looking for their best and brightest and enticing them with salares that cannot be matched.

I agree city Unions are a problem to a degree especially the Teacher's Union.

I pointed out Cheney and tyranny because at one point, our gov't was willing to let him and Bush do anything they please. There was no checks and balances. Cheney thru Halliburton was charging our military 4x the norm for basic supplies. Nobody questioned it and some even defended the practice, saying they are the elite suck it up. Now fast forward to 2013 and The Republicans crib about every penny. Where were they before? I don;t think tyranny will happen anytime soon but if the situation was just right, it could. Like you said we are humans, we are emotional beings and react with our hearts not our minds at times. If such a situation ever occurred, we could be like the Iraqi's under Saddam but who are we going to beg for help? China? Russia? I agree the need for such guns is questionable in this day and age but I fear how gov;t always wants more control. It never stops and leaves things as such. The fear of one person dying from different ways has resulted in numerous laws that has stifled what we can and cannot do. Im saying enforce and create more laws on how govt and politicans do their job. I was annoyed because when laws involving guns are debated we how efficient NY lawmakers can be. They should be like this 24-7 on every matter big or small. Instead of focusing on the banning of such weapons why hasn;t any politicans throughout the country passed legialtion that ush for harsh penalties/prison terms. Why not give ppl who engage in gun violence, the supply of illegal guns or possession of illeal guns life or death? I don;t think you would hear a peep from law abiding NRA members.

I don;t even own firearms btw but like to know I could if there was a need and to play devil's advocate hehe.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

Last edited by Mistertee; 01-17-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
Come down here, you can hold an AK in one hand and a 32 oz glass of Coke in the other!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
I just re read what I wrote. Plz excuse the grammar and spelling errors.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
Someone is always unhappy about something.
And your point?

It is 2 links. Personally, I find it interesting that the lawyers are ramping up against the law.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 AM

341 posts, read 683,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Guns can stolen from a variety not just citizens. But I agree you should make a point to secure your firearms. But why the need to criminalize?
Because if there is no penalty, what is the motivation? For example, I recently saw a picture of a person who owned at least 6 guns, all just hung in a rack on the wall, no lock in site.

The guns weren't unsecured just for the photo, it was a picture of the person's dog. People don't bother doing things that aren't required, as a general rule.

But, where else do stolen guns come from?

Quote:
Of course, DWI laws will reduce DWI;s, that a no brainer. Again we are quick to criminalize yet we don;t try any other options. How about differientating a DWI that causes no harm versus one that causes harm? How about allowing for a way for ppl convicted with a DWI without harm/injury to others to be given a chance to clean or expunge their record? DWI's cause more damage than good. Why is President Bush able to expunge and clean his DWI in Texas back then and now you cannot do that? Why is that Liberal NYS is more strict than Conservative Texas with regard to this? As for gun stats, why don;t you delve deeper and examine what were the type of guns used? Handguns, shotguns, Assualt weapons,etc? Then take look were they legal or illegal?
Oh, I've done the research. The most commonly used gun was a handgun, not an assault rifle (Which is another reason I think the assault rifle ban is silly). And, most guns used in homicides were legally obtained, believe it or not.

Quote:
Again your vote doesn;t mean much. Voting for either party is voting for any side of the same coin. They all have the same agenda.
Hardly, at the federal level. Below the federal level? I don't vote for a party, I vote for a person. This past election, I voted for all Dem's, short of one GOP. The election prior? About split. All that matters to me is the individual platform, not the letter after their name.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
And your point?

It is 2 links. Personally, I find it interesting that the lawyers are ramping up against the law.
Lawyers will do anything to make money. Sure, the one lawyer from WNY says he's doing it "pro-bono", but he's got a money-making scheme out of it, to be sure. I mean, I bet the gun lobbyists wont be filling his wallet during the time he's working on the case.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
I must admit, I miss NY state. But after living in Louisiana and collecting firearms; I'm afraid to move back. :/

Maybe Pennsylvania instead?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Because if there is no penalty, what is the motivation? For example, I recently saw a picture of a person who owned at least 6 guns, all just hung in a rack on the wall, no lock in site.

The guns weren't unsecured just for the photo, it was a picture of the person's dog. People don't bother doing things that aren't required, as a general rule.
I could keep our guns spread out on the floor of my children's rooms. They won't be fired because there are locks on them and we have the keys. There are all kinds of locks at all different price points. Some are obvious and some leave the gun looking like it's not locked at all, if you took a picture.

Besides that, they aren't loaded and the action is disengaged. They are locked WHILE disengaged. The ammunition is locked up too.

"But, where else do stolen guns come from?"

Ask criminals. I'm sure they'd be very forthcoming. They're not worried about any gun laws... they didn't follow them anyway. And now, they're looking forward to all the now-illegal firearms that will now flood the black market. You know, because arms dealers and manufacturers will be "robbed."

Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I could keep our guns spread out on the floor of my children's rooms. They won't be fired because there are locks on them and we have the keys. There are all kinds of locks at all different price points. Some are obvious and some leave the gun looking like it's not locked at all, if you took a picture.
And, short of a mounted safe, none of those methods prevent the weapons from being stolen, where a whole bunch of time can be spent removing the lock.

Quote:
Besides that, they aren't loaded and the action is disengaged. They are locked WHILE disengaged. The ammunition is locked up too.
And, short of being in a mounted safe, it can be stolen.

Quote:
"But, where else do stolen guns come from?"

Ask criminals. I'm sure they'd be very forthcoming. They're not worried about any gun laws... they didn't follow them anyway. And now, they're looking forward to all the now-illegal firearms that will now flood the black market. You know, because arms dealers and manufacturers will be "robbed."
Oh, I know exactly where they come from. Two places, generally:

1) Weapons not in a safe, or in an easily removed safe, which are stolen
2) Private party sales

As for the criminals not following the law, well, duh. That's the definition of a criminal. It doesn't mean we shouldn't make laws.

I mean, hell. Should we just remove all laws from the books, because criminals don't follow them anyways?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
And, short of a mounted safe, none of those methods prevent the weapons from being stolen, where a whole bunch of time can be spent removing the lock.

And, short of being in a mounted safe, it can be stolen.

Oh, I know exactly where they come from. Two places, generally:

1) Weapons not in a safe, or in an easily removed safe, which are stolen
2) Private party sales

As for the criminals not following the law, well, duh. That's the definition of a criminal. It doesn't mean we shouldn't make laws.

I mean, hell. Should we just remove all laws from the books, because criminals don't follow them anyways?
Things get stolen. And? Criminals just.don't.follow.laws.

Again, legal and right aren't synonyms. Illegal and wrong aren't synonyms.

I think we shouldn't have national laws, besides the founding documents with a few changes. It IS a living document... and power hungry men and women have gone hog-wild on it. The federal government is supposed to be small. The states can make laws, from the input of the people. As small a government as possible is where laws should start, not the other way around.

Somewhat off-topic, but related: What do you think about gay marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York