Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times

Advertisements

Ok, we agree to disagree.

Now for the people who think everything isn't balloons and bunny rabbits lets get back to maybe fixing some problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM

93,327 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
You keep saying organicly. Thats what I'm talking about but you try to get the government in which will kill it dead.

Business will come. People will start them. On a larger scale you can see it now. Build a rich suburb and Wegmans will come. Let an area die and Price Chopper or Shoprite will come.

How about welfare ends and no more swipe the EBT card. Guy has a cousin with a farm. Starts selling out of his truck, then in an abandoned building. Then a nicer place and so on. People will see a need and ask themselves how can I fill it?? You'll see guying fixing cars in a snowbank at first. Then in a crappy garage and so on.

"We" won't have anything to do with the bus system. At first some guy will buy a crappy old van and take 12 people back and forth for a dollar or whatever. Then a newer van, then an old school bus.

Schools will be fixed by the families of those attending them. Parents will want better for there kids and will be all up in there business making them do better. High welfare numbers and bad schools go together hand in hand. End the welfare and people will push back.

I guess if anyone thinks the current system works both now and moving forward then they can sit back and enjoy. But if people think the current system is broken (and broke) then we need to try something
No, I never mentioned the government. I'm trying to get thoughtful answers in terms of what Upstate NY can do to improve. I don't know if welfare is the only or main reason for Upstate NY not reaching its full potential though. How does this Guy's van system pay for itself given other costs? How are parents empowered to fix their schools, especially immigrant/refugee families? Same with starting a farm, especially if you take subsidies away and don't have that background?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What do you mean by the property tax comment and was this the sales tax situation in AZ? Just curious.
gggfg, I think this may have answered these questions: //www.city-data.com/forum/27927246-post33.html

Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM

I got the bus idea watching a show on Port AU Prince after the earthquake

Plenty of land in NY for farms. Current farming would stay misty the same. Life wouldn't change much in the suburbs. Due to having more money they may switch to more organic stuff. I don't think anything here has hit the support price in years so no real changes. As far as knowledge goes if the money is right people might step up. I'd go back to farming if I could make a living.

Schools allow what the people of the area will put up with. If FM started graduating 32% do you think parents would just say TFB and let it continue?? If all they see is a further of welfare then what's the point in school?? Give them hope and they will make it happen. I have faith. But it will be on them.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I got the bus idea watching a show on Port AU Prince after the earthquake

Plenty of land in NY for farms. Current farming would stay misty the same. Life wouldn't change much in the suburbs. Due to having more money they may switch to more organic stuff. I don't think anything here has hit the support price in years so no real changes. As far as knowledge goes if the money is right people might step up. I'd go back to farming if I could make a living.

Schools allow what the people of the area will put up with. If FM started graduating 32% do you think parents would just say TFB and let it continue?? If all they see is a further of welfare then what's the point in school?? Give them hope and they will make it happen. I have faith. But it will be on them.
I think you are giving welfare too much power and play here in regards to improving Upstate NY, as it is more of a symptom of a more complex situation.

So, if there is a need for public transportation, how does the community that uses it make sure that it will continue to be available, whether it is run by a public or private entity?

As for schools, each school has different challenges. Some may be empowered to face them proper, some may not. That is why I asked how do we empower schools with a high percentage of immigrants/refugees, ESL students, etc. F-M doesn't have to deal with that while an urban school like Fowler, Monroe, Grover Cleveland and Proctor may have to at least a substantial degree. So, how do we tackle that issue?

Suburbs vary as well and aren't the same. So, one may have needs that another doesn't.

While there is land to farm, how do we get people back on farms if they want to do so? What about places like the North Country region, where there is land, but much of it is mountainous? How do we improve the economy in that part of Upstate NY?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM

255 posts, read 488,153 times
ckhthankgod: All your questions can be answered with two words: Invisible hand.

If you keep bringing "facts" and "reasonableness" into this conversation Sean is going to have to slap you.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM

The bus's being there will be like your favorite brand of ice cream. If you and enough other people use/buy it then it will be there. If not then it will be gone. Where there is a need there will be a product/service.

It has long been my understanding that children of immigrants do well in school. Is this not true?? If it is true then I don't think its fair to blame them.

I would not be even a little surprised to see that if welfare was ended and the cities started to have a "rebirth" that many of those people would move to the suburbs and others from the 'burbs moved into the cities. NY might look very different in a generation.

The North Country will find its own way in the post nanny state. Or else it won't. If someone wants to live somewhere but is broke then that someone may just have to move.

In the real World if you wanna live here but the jobs are there then you pack up and move not apply for foodies.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
ckhthankgod: All your questions can be answered with two words: Invisible hand.

If you keep bringing "facts" and "reasonableness" into this conversation Sean is going to have to slap you.
You libs are unbelievably bitter considering you control the entire state of NY and most of the country.

I get it already, you like high taxes and massive debt. Your side is winning. Taxes will be raised more and more debt will be taken on.

What more do you want??

Some people like me and CK think we face some problems. You think everything is fine.

Guess what?? Your winning. Relax. Don't be so angry. You've won. Let other people speak, its just for fun, your side has all the power.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Its a complex problem and its impossible to point to one thing, like welfare, and think it will be fixed. If I had to point to one singular thing, it would be education. And a very, very close second would be mass media, which celebrates laziness, immoral behavior, and the ramifications our society is reaping from this can't really be calculated. And therefore, its a country-wide problem, definitely not isolated to Upstate. If anything, Upstate is faring better than many other places in the US.

Was in the Delmarva peninsula last week. Nothing but poor people and chicken processing plants. Right on down the road, one plant after another, one busload of poor people after another. Your choice for work is chicken slaughterhouses or working in fast food. The bottom line is $$, and capitalism ensures that the goal is the most production from the least pay. Most of the people looked unbathed, broke, unhealthy, and are likely working 60 hours a week for minimum wage and no overtime pay or healthcare. Its been documented that Walmart, the Republican's wet dream, literally hands its employees government paperwork on how they can get free gov healthcare, because their wages are so low as to necessitate this. My biggest issue with Repubs is that they tend to privatize the profits and socialize the costs, I tend to agree with them on most social issues. One thing I will agree with ckhthankgod on is this: red states take more than blue states from the federal government- that's a fact and shouldn't be overlooked.

Corporations and businesses are not looking out for people, either. Nor is government, but government is a little better at keeping an eye out for the little guy. Of course, some of the little guys will take advantage of it too, and stay on welfare longer than they need to. On the flip side, unions are also good, if you recall the working conditions that started unions in the first place. I agree though, that some unions are actually destroying jobs in 2013. Like I said, the problem is very complex.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 PM

206 posts, read 570,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
gggfg, I think this may have answered these questions: //www.city-data.com/forum/27927246-post33.html
Sorry for the delay but I have more enjoyable things to do than sit at a computer 24/7

Yes, thank you, that linked post sums it up very accurately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York