Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 01:41 PM

93,341 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Actually, I spent some time in MI and GA, as well as having siblings that live in VA and NC. My parents are from the South too. So, I have some examples to go by.

Also, my point wasn't about taxes being neutralized, but about overall cost of living. You can find calculators that factor in some taxes as well. There are other factors to consider like housing prices, in which Maricopa County is about 20-25,000 higher than many Upstate NY counties(median home cost is $142,500 in Maricopa County). That is something that I'm getting at and this is something I'm going to leave here, as it has been mentioned plenty of times.

I'll ask what things do you think need to occur in order for Upstate NY to improve? What would you do to lower taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, I spent some time in MI and GA, as well as having siblings that live in VA and NC. My parents are from the South too. So, I have some examples to go by.

Also, my point wasn't about taxes being neutralized, but about overall cost of living. You can find calculators that factor in some taxes as well. There are other factors to consider like housing prices, in which Maricopa County is about 20-25,000 higher than many Upstate NY counties(median home cost is $142,500 in Maricopa County). That is something that I'm getting at and this is something I'm going to leave here, as it has been mentioned plenty of times.

I'll ask what things do you think need to occur in order for Upstate NY to improve? What would you do to lower taxes?
You sound like a Politician deflecting firsthand breakdowns that I expressed. Especially the intangibles I mentioned in great detail. Two other posters here have more favorable experiences of living in AZ than Upstate NY as well.

With 4.5 million people in PHX area with thousands of million dollar homes in North Scottsdale, Paradise Valley and Eastern Mesa, it will skew the average cost of a home in Maricopa. This is just the East Valley of PHX. Come visit and see for yourself in the aforementioned areas. Your upstate metro areas are so bush leagued. Buffalo has Clarence. Rochester has Fairport. Syracuse has DeWitt. WOW !!!! Scottsdale is world known as an upscale area. Something no suburb in Upstate has any status with.

OK. Say a home is 120K in Tempe as opposed to some place in Upstate for 100K at a 5% APR for 30 years. If you need all 30 years, the home costs 300K in Tempe. In Upstate, it costs 250K. Given that property taxes are $1000 instead of $3000 (typical of 100K home in Upstate (sometimes way more)), I save $60000 in property taxes over 30 years.Also more home expenses in lousy climates like NY that I do not contend with out here. So take your COL caca and stuff it !

Now NY State tax lowering. Same as before. Cut entitlements. That should be your first order of business when you replace Cuomo in the next election Mr Chamber of Commerce.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
You sound like a Politician deflecting firsthand breakdowns that I expressed. Especially the intangibles I mentioned in great detail. Two other posters here have more favorable experiences of living in AZ than Upstate NY as well.

With 4.5 million people in PHX area with thousands of million dollar homes in North Scottsdale, Paradise Valley and Eastern Mesa, it will skew the average cost of a home in Maricopa. This is just the East Valley of PHX. Come visit and see for yourself in the aforementioned areas. Your upstate metro areas are so bush leagued. Buffalo has Clarence. Rochester has Fairport. Syracuse has DeWitt. WOW !!!! Scottsdale is world known as an upscale area. Something no suburb in Upstate has any status with.

OK. Say a home is 120K in Tempe as opposed to some place in Upstate for 100K at a 5% APR for 30 years. If you need all 30 years, the home costs 300K in Tempe. In Upstate, it costs 250K. Given that property taxes are $1000 instead of $3000 (typical of 100K home in Upstate (sometimes way more)), I save $60000 in property taxes over 30 years.Also more home expenses in lousy climates like NY that I do not contend with out here. So take your COL caca and stuff it !

Now NY State tax lowering. Same as before. Cut entitlements. That should be your first order of business when you replace Cuomo in the next election Mr Chamber of Commerce.
What posters? No, I'm just interpreting information. Actually, the average is 2.5% per 100000: Property taxes in New York state | Mobile

Also, the Phoenix area boomed and busted in terms of the housing bubble. For instance, according to this website, the median house price in Maricopa County in 2009 was $203,800. Now it is just over $145,000. So, you may pay more that it is worth.

I'm not a politician nor do I work for a Chamber of Commerce. I actually thought that you may have some actual input that
could help Upstate NY in certain aspects, but maybe I'm wrong. Just saying cut entitlements doesn't answer cure much in
the way that Upstate NY needs it and in fact, it may be ironic given what has helped to ignite growth in many "Sun Belt" states.

BTW- Williamsville, Skaneateles, Brighton, Clinton, New Hartford, Vestal, Fayetteville, Manlius, Pittsford, Penfield, Lewiston, Webster, Cazenovia, Cayuga Heights, Delmar, Loudonville, Niskayuna and Snyder, among some others, aren't too bad either

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-09-2013 at 05:50 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
What posters? No, I'm just interpreting information. Actually, the average is 2.5% per 100000: Property taxes in New York state | Mobile

Also, the Phoenix area boomed and busted in terms of the housing bubble. For instance, according to this website, the median house price in Maricopa County in 2009 was $203,800. Now it is just over $145,000. So, you may pay more that it is worth.

I'm not a politician nor do I work for a Chamber of Commerce. I actually thought that you may have some actual input that
could help Upstate NY in certain aspects, but maybe I'm wrong. Just saying cut entitlements doesn't answer cure much in
the way that Upstate NY needs it and in fact, it may be ironic given what has helped to ignite growth in many "Sun Belt" states.

BTW- Williamsville, Skaneateles, Brighton, Clinton, New Hartford, Vestal, Fayetteville, Manlius, Pittsford, Penfield, Lewiston, Webster, Cazenovia, Cayuga Heights, Delmar, Loudonville, Niskayuna and Snyder, among some others, aren't too bad either
Go back 5 or 6 pages. One of the posters admitted property taxes here in AZ are greatly missed. The gentleman in the last day or so lived in AZ and OR.

Home prices have risen again in PHX. They will never be what they were prior to 2008 but the worst is over. Construction growth has slowed down and I believe mistakes from the past have been learned. I will tell you there is far greater chance to profit on real estate here than in a decaying outdated town typical of upstate NY.Californians and Midwesterners coming here still in droves. $2500 is very low end/$100000 in Upstate and do not agree with that at all. Suburbs I am familiar with in Upstate have between $3000 and $4500 (Buffalo Northtowns, Catskills, Binghamton Area) for a 100K home. Towns without infrastructure in the sticks may have lower property taxes. However, I can tell you those with development are well over the ratio you are suggesting.

You need to tell NY leaches to toughen up and earn their keep like normal taxpayers. I will say it again. States with less entitlements don't have the debt states with entitlements have. We discussed this pages back.

Last edited by magnum0417; 02-09-2013 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:

That 2.5% represents the percentage that taxes as a percentage of home value. Look at the following http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...v-20100225.pdf, based on three years average NY counties have 22 of the top 25 spots in the country for taxes as a percentage of home value, not something to brag about. The US average is %.96.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
That 2.5% represents the percentage that taxes as a percentage of home value. Look at the following http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...v-20100225.pdf, based on three years average NY counties have 22 of the top 25 spots in the country for taxes as a percentage of home value, not something to brag about. The US average is %.96.
Great link. Onondaga County is high on that list too. Funny how Orleans County is so high. A bunch of jugwater towns like Medina and paying an average of $2600 on a home worth less than $90000. Niagara #2. Hilarious !

Last edited by magnum0417; 02-09-2013 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Its only February and already 3155 (58% 0utbound of a 5441 total) NYers haven't seen the light that its super cheap to live in NY.

The States People Are Fleeing In 2013 - Yahoo! Finance

Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Its only February and already 3155 (58% 0utbound of a 5441 total) NYers haven't seen the light that its super cheap to live in NY.

People leave for various reasons and I don't recall anyone saying NY was super cheap. NY varies in many ways. So, who knows? Like I said, Tennessee could be the move for those that want the lowest tax burden.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

Another great link to drive the point home on NY lacking bang for buck. I was surprised recently to hear of so many people migrating from New Mexico. However, that is to Texas and to a lesser degree Arizona. NM is right behind NY at #5 on Sean's list. I personally am a big fan of ABQ and hope they can turn it around there.

I do recommend United Van Lines. They gave me a fixed rate for all the estimated costs to ship my stuff from NY to AZ. Their flat fee for everything totalled about $5200 . For a 2500 mile trip, pretty fair. Had I rented a Penske to truck, it would if been a nightmare. Yes, penske rents you their truck for $1800 to go across country. However, getting maybe 10 miles/gallon and paying your own gas, do the math. Plus having to load and unload everything yourself. No way Jose !

Love that stupid promo that originated some 30 years back. "I Love NY" Guess what ? I hate NY and all the taxes that went towards enabling the lazy and brutal winters have all been left behind. Burn in hell Albany !

Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Innovation Trail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York