Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 AM

206 posts, read 570,574 times

Advertisements

I do wish you all would stop painting states/areas with such a broad brush.

I'll comment on weather, as I am now in "upstate" NY, having arrived from almost a decade in Arizona.

Most of Arizona does not have the 100+ degree temps of flat Phoenix.

Go to the other extreme of northern Flagstaff and now you have weather such as I'm experiencing right now in NY.

So, start at Tucson/Phoenix and work your way north to find your comfort zone.

I'll throw in a note on taxes.

Property taxes so low, it will bring tears to your eyes.

But, sales taxes were 13% where I was at. Local can add on to state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Take any job. Or any several jobs. Life is hard. Suck it up cupcake. If it takes two years to find and job that person isn't looking very hard.

If the state lowers what they will pay fir rent the slumlords will take less. They will have no choice. Half beats none.

Job training?? Why whatever they want of coarse. Lotta people take on student loans to better themselves. Just cause ya stayed at the buggy whip plant until the end doesn't mean the state owes you a free ride.

What's the other way?? Keep chasing working people out of state and going into debt??

Start taxing everyone also. Every dollar. Once people start feeling what these programs cost they will start voting different and the improments will start snowballing. Take away all the loop holes.

If people continue to want a high benifit state they can pay the high taxes. No one should be living in NY and saying the taxes aren't to bad. It's ok to want to pay the high rates but people saying they like the benefits and the taxes aren't bad are sitting in the cart whipping the cart pullers.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Take any job. Or any several jobs. Life is hard. Suck it up cupcake. If it takes two years to find and job that person isn't looking very hard.

If the state lowers what they will pay fir rent the slumlords will take less. They will have no choice. Half beats none.

Job training?? Why whatever they want of coarse. Lotta people take on student loans to better themselves. Just cause ya stayed at the buggy whip plant until the end doesn't mean the state owes you a free ride.

What's the other way?? Keep chasing working people out of state and going into debt??

Start taxing everyone also. Every dollar. Once people start feeling what these programs cost they will start voting different and the improments will start snowballing. Take away all the loop holes.

If people continue to want a high benifit state they can pay the high taxes. No one should be living in NY and saying the taxes aren't to bad. It's ok to want to pay the high rates but people saying they like the benefits and the taxes aren't bad are sitting in the cart whipping the cart pullers.
So, what about the job creation question?

Also, so should we get rid of subsidies, tax breaks, etc. even for corporations? Should we get rid of things like the tax exemption for veterans?

Do you have any information in regards to taking 2 years for people to find a job? What about the "working poor"?

What about improving education or making it cost effective in terms of tax burden, as well as higher education?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
I do wish you all would stop painting states/areas with such a broad brush.

I'll comment on weather, as I am now in "upstate" NY, having arrived from almost a decade in Arizona.

Most of Arizona does not have the 100+ degree temps of flat Phoenix.

Go to the other extreme of northern Flagstaff and now you have weather such as I'm experiencing right now in NY.

So, start at Tucson/Phoenix and work your way north to find your comfort zone.

I'll throw in a note on taxes.

Property taxes so low, it will bring tears to your eyes.

But, sales taxes were 13% where I was at. Local can add on to state.
What do you mean by the property tax comment and was this the sales tax situation in AZ? Just curious.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM

Many jobs that are simple to do are gone. If you opened a sock mill here you couldn't get any workers. Welfare is to easy. But end welfare and a sock mill will open and people will work there or watch there children starve.

Many of them will think what a crap way to live. And they will better themselves.

Many more will keep plugging away at the sock mill but be all over there children saying " you do your homework or you'll be stuck at the sock mill"

HUD will be gone. Apartments that now cost 800 will cost 300.

They will need transportation. Bus lines will be put in place. First a system of gypsies with vans followed by other systems.

All government meddling will be gone. Right now the state picks the winners based on who pays the most goodies in Albany. In the future the free market would decide.

Veterans would be the only group I'd allow personally but it may get lost in the process. I don't veterans currently get much of a break now on NY's big two taxes anyway, income and school.

I'm not sure what you mean by working poor?? Some jobs pay more then others. The dean of SU makes more then me. I can live with that. A machine operator at a sock mill is gonna make a lot less. It's your skill set that should determine your income not "fairness".

Again I ask what is the other way?? Right now we are taxing everything that moves, subsidizing everything that doesn't and borrowing like crazy. Do you see this model working moving forward??

Last edited by Sean®; 01-31-2013 at 09:39 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Many jobs that are simple to do are gone. If you opened a sock mill here you couldn't get any workers. Welfare is to easy. But end welfare and a sock mill will open and people will work there or watch there children starve.

Many of them will think what a crap way to live. And they will better themselves.

Many more will keep plugging away at the sock mill but be all over there children saying " you do your homework or you'll be stuck at the sock mill"

HUD will be gone. Apartments that now cost 800 will cost 300.

They will need transportation. Bus lines will be put in place. First a system of gypsies with vans followed by other systems.

All government meddling will be gone. Right now the state picks the winners based on who pays the most goodies in Albany. In the future the free market would decide.

Veterans would be the only group I'd allow personally but it may get lost in the process. I don't veterans currently get much of a break now on NY's big two taxes anyway, income and school.

I'm not sure what you mean by working poor?? Some jobs pay more then others. The dean of SU makes more then me. I can live with that. A machine operator at a sock mill is gonna make a lot less. It's your skill set that should determine your income not "fairness".

Again I ask what is the other way?? Right now we are taxing everything that moves, subsidizing everything that doesn't and borrowing like crazy. Do you see this model working moving forward??
So, no more tax breaks to corporations? How would we get companies to come here? Are we going to create any jobs organically at all?

How exactly is the rent going to be reduced to that level?

How are we going to pay for this bus/van system(s) that would be created?

What I meant by working poor is that some people may work, but don't make enough to get above the poverty line. So, it
doesn't have anything to do with "fairness".

What about the potential crime increase threat due to eliminating social services like welfare completely? How does eliminating welfare add jobs to the economy?

Anything in regards to schools/education? What about consolidation of any kind?

As for what I think, I've posted many ideas throughout the time I've been on here. So, it isn't a topic I haven't offered potential solutions or ideas to. I'm just trying to get input from others as to thoughtful ideas.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM

255 posts, read 487,735 times
Eliminating things like welfare, tax breaks and HUD only means that the government has more money, which would mean tax breaks. But seeing as how the wealthy pay most of the taxes, they would be the ones benefitting from tax breaks.

So basically what you're saying is we need to take money from poor people (welfare, tax incentives, low-income housing) and give the money to the rich (in the form of tax breaks). Great plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, no more tax breaks to corporations? How would we get companies to come here? Are we going to create any jobs organically at all?

How exactly is the rent going to be reduced to that level?

How are we going to pay for this bus/van system(s) that would be created?

What I meant by working poor is that some people may work, but don't make enough to get above the poverty line. So, it
doesn't have anything to do with "fairness".

What about the potential crime increase threat due to eliminating social services like welfare completely? How does eliminating welfare add jobs to the economy?

Anything in regards to schools/education? What about consolidation of any kind?

As for what I think, I've posted many ideas throughout the time I've been on here. So, it isn't a topic I haven't offered potential solutions or ideas to. I'm just trying to get input from others as to thoughtful ideas.
You keep saying organicly. Thats what I'm talking about but you try to get the government in which will kill it dead.

Business will come. People will start them. On a larger scale you can see it now. Build a rich suburb and Wegmans will come. Let an area die and Price Chopper or Shoprite will come.

How about welfare ends and no more swipe the EBT card. Guy has a cousin with a farm. Starts selling out of his truck, then in an abandoned building. Then a nicer place and so on. People will see a need and ask themselves how can I fill it?? You'll see guying fixing cars in a snowbank at first. Then in a crappy garage and so on.

"We" won't have anything to do with the bus system. At first some guy will buy a crappy old van and take 12 people back and forth for a dollar or whatever. Then a newer van, then an old school bus.

Schools will be fixed by the families of those attending them. Parents will want better for there kids and will be all up in there business making them do better. High welfare numbers and bad schools go together hand in hand. End the welfare and people will push back.

I guess if anyone thinks the current system works both now and moving forward then they can sit back and enjoy. But if people think the current system is broken (and broke) then we need to try something

Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
Eliminating things like welfare, tax breaks and HUD only means that the government has more money, which would mean tax breaks. But seeing as how the wealthy pay most of the taxes, they would be the ones benefitting from tax breaks.

So basically what you're saying is we need to take money from poor people (welfare, tax incentives, low-income housing) and give the money to the rich (in the form of tax breaks). Great plan!

You will never have any trouble fitting in anywhere in NY.

Keep smoking that bathtub Kool-Aid Albany's been pushing.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM

255 posts, read 487,735 times
Quote:
You will never have any trouble fitting in anywhere in NY.

Keep smoking that bathtub Kool-Aid Albany's been pushing.

Thanks. You keep thinking the government (made up of people we voted for) is the cause of all problems ever experienced in New York or the country as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York