U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 21,018 times

Advertisements

I have been considering a move to Washington County which is just northeast of the Capital District. The county is picturesque...lovely.

Greenwich has a nice community feel, but when you drive off the main streets, it can feel a bit neglected and gray.
I think Cambridge and Salem are also lovely small communities, surrounded by hilly, rural areas with great views, farms and private homesteads. BUT THE TAXES !!!!!

Is it true that most jobs require a commute to the adjoining counties of Saratoga, Albany or Rensselaer ?

What's up ?
New York's Governor and State Legislature just enacted a new gun law without any public input that has responsible gun owners and free citizens around the nation worried about their rights.

The Governor also just released a State Budget of over $142 billion ! That is larger than what some of the world's countries need to operate.

And I am told that it does not include what is going to be spent on things that the state has to pay for that are called "off budget" items.

I guess the counties and towns in NYS are worried about providing vital services such as keeping up the roadways, etc., and there is a feeling that local real property taxes and school taxes will be increased again. Does it ever go down?

New York State has some 18-19 million residents. Most live in NYC, downstate, LI and in old cities like Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Troy, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie and others that have lost their "city centers" to higher crime rates and poor housing. Gloversville is now one of the country's poorest places. huh?

Upstate used to have vibrant cities and communities that mostly supported themselves.
Do you think this will change ?
Can it change?
Or will the downstaters just keep moving northward and transform the region into a burb of NY/NJ ?
And, with 18-19 million people....can NYS withstand another economic downturn?
what do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 AM

247 posts, read 495,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstaters View Post
I think Cambridge and Salem are also lovely small communities, surrounded by hilly, rural areas with great views, farms and private homesteads. BUT THE TAXES !!!!!
New York has some of the highest taxes in the country, no question.

Quote:
Is it true that most jobs require a commute to the adjoining counties of Saratoga, Albany or Rensselaer ?
Yes.

Quote:
New York's Governor and State Legislature just enacted a new gun law without any public input that has responsible gun owners and free citizens around the nation worried about their rights.
Our governor wants to be the first Italian president, and will stomp on anyone with zero regard for consequences, if it gets him closer to that goal.

Quote:
I guess the counties and towns in NYS are worried about providing vital services such as keeping up the roadways, etc., and there is a feeling that local real property taxes and school taxes will be increased again. Does it ever go down?
I think I can recall Colonie taxes going down a little once, but no, they almost always go up.

Quote:
Upstate used to have vibrant cities and communities that mostly supported themselves.
Do you think this will change ?
Can it change?
I'm not betting on it. Upstate NY was a major center of manufacturing during the country's "golden age" (roughly 1945–1980). We are now witnessing a cancer-like "rotting within," or a painful adjustment if you will, to some sort of new economy. Many young families, especially white ones, move to suburbs if they view city schools as undesirable. This has been going on for decades. The cities then become full of poor people, it's simple math. Their tax base dwindles, further exacerbating the problem, sometimes into a death spiral.

Myself, I'm moving to the desert southwest as soon as I can. California might not be much better economically, but at least the weather's better and property taxes are actually lower.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM

well...i suppose it won't be changing anytime soon which is too bad for Upstate NY. It sure it beautiful geographically and rich in history, but as long as folks keep feeling the pinch and losing their family members to other locales, they may HAVE to consider moving if their not seeing improvements. By improvements, I am not talking about more taxpayer funded programs. I am referring to quality of life issues that support a more attractive, comfortable community.

I spent time in SoCal and Arizona. Ah, the sunshine. However, they are having problems with water quality and weather changes so keep that in mind. It can get HOT and dry, but that hasn't stopped places like Scottsdale from coming back.

Since I enjoy the landscape, lakes, gardening and the change of seasons I may opt for another state.

Again, it is too bad that the cities of Albany, Troy and Schenectady, among others haven't been able to move forward. When I drive around, I see a past that had a future.
Today, I see broken down buildings, empty downtowns (esp at night), terrible roads and....well....a sense of happiness.

As for the rural areas, it is a way of life for many, while for others it looks like they are surviving, not thriving.

Hey....NY !!!!!!! http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo..._web_large.png

NUMBER 50?! What's with that?!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM

I meant a sense of unhappiness.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM

77,836 posts, read 105,856,346 times
What is the point of this thread again?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM

2,333 posts, read 4,358,475 times
Quote:
well...i suppose it won't be changing anytime soon which is too bad for Upstate NY. It sure it beautiful geographically and rich in history, but as long as folks keep feeling the pinch and losing their family members to other locales, they may HAVE to consider moving if their not seeing improvements. By improvements, I am not talking about more taxpayer funded programs. I am referring to quality of life issues that support a more attractive, comfortable community.

I spent time in SoCal and Arizona. Ah, the sunshine. However, they are having problems with water quality and weather changes so keep that in mind. It can get HOT and dry, but that hasn't stopped places like Scottsdale from coming back.

Since I enjoy the landscape, lakes, gardening and the change of seasons I may opt for another state.

Again, it is too bad that the cities of Albany, Troy and Schenectady, among others haven't been able to move forward. When I drive around, I see a past that had a future.
Today, I see broken down buildings, empty downtowns (esp at night), terrible roads and....well....a sense of happiness.

As for the rural areas, it is a way of life for many, while for others it looks like they are surviving, not thriving.

Hey....NY !!!!!!! http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo..._web_large.png

NUMBER 50?! What's with that?!
I live in Tempe and there is no water concerns anytime soon. The SRP Lakes play a large role in assuring atleast a 100 year water supply. I had one week this summer where the heat tested me a bit in August. PHX set a record for 8 consecutive days above 110. Outside of that week, the other 51 have been perfect. Highs between 55 and 110 year around. PERFECT ! Far more favorable taxes and amenities that make the East Coast look so behind the times. San Diego and Mexican resorts blow anything from Florida to Maine away for ocean amenities and it's a 4-5 hour drive to get to these places for me.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
People voting with their feet and leaving Upstate NY. Why don't you run for Governor in 2016 after Cuomo runs for President ? "I Love New York". You sound like a politician pimping up one of the dying regions of the US. You've been doing that for years on this forum. Enjoy your 120 inches of snow in Syracuse !
You posted this all the way from Arizona. What's crazy is that the Buffalo area has a higher educational attainment percentage for people with a Bachelor's degree or higher than Phoenix does. To top it all off, the Buffalo metro is 4th out of the major Upstate NY metros. Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Also, 3 out of 4 of those metros added people between 2000-2010. Some of the smaller metros lost people and some added folks. So, things vary in regards to people leaving.

Lastly, two out of the previous 3 winters in the Syracuse area have been quite mild with 60 inches of snow for 09-10 and about 40 inches last winter. This winter, except for a recent cold snap, has followed suit. An example of this is the forecasted high of 55 on Wednesday. Keep in mind that the figure you mentioned is for the metro area and varies, depending on the location. So, Oswego County, which is in the metro area, gets more than Onondaga County and it varies within those counties as well. Same for the Buffalo area, as the Southtowns gets more than Niagara County, on average.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You posted this all the way from Arizona. What's crazy is that the Buffalo area has a higher educational attainment percentage for people with a Bachelor's degree or higher than Phoenix does. To top it all off, the Buffalo metro is 4th out of the major Upstate NY metros. Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Also, 3 out of 4 of those metros added people between 2000-2010. Some of the smaller metros lost people and some added folks. So, things vary in regards to people leaving.

Lastly, two out of the previous 3 winters in the Syracuse area have been quite mild with 60 inches of snow for 09-10 and about 40 inches last winter. This winter, except for a recent cold snap, has followed suit. An example of this is the forecasted high of 55 on Wednesday. Keep in mind that the figure you mentioned is for the metro area and varies, depending on the location. So, Oswego County, which is in the metro area, gets more than Onondaga County and it varies within those counties as well. Same for the Buffalo area, as the Southtowns gets more than Niagara County, on average.
As a UB Alum, I can tell you that most students who attend UB from anywhere in NY State leave for greener pastures at some point. Check the pop growth of Phoenix and compare to any old tired Upstate NY City and see which has a better future. Better taxes, better weather and more majestic amenities within a days drive. The only thing I will give NY is a better educational system than AZ and that is it. However, most Phoenicians are not natives and took their education from the Midwest, Northeast and So Cal to take advantage of the amenities and favorable taxes.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
As a UB Alum, I can tell you that most students who attend UB from anywhere in NY State leave for greener pastures at some point. Check the pop growth of Phoenix and compare to any old tired Upstate NY City and see which has a better future. Better taxes, better weather and more majestic amenities within a days drive. The only thing I will give NY is a better educational system than AZ and that is it. However, most Phoenicians are not natives and took their education from the Midwest, Northeast and So Cal to take advantage of the amenities and favorable taxes.
It doesn't seem like enough of those types are making their way over there, as that is a current list. Phoenix is growing, but a lot of retirees move there. I still find it fascinating that the Buffalo area still has a higher educational attainment than the Phoenix area at this time.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It doesn't seem like enough of those types are making their way over there, as that is a current list. Phoenix is growing, but a lot of retirees move there. I still find it fascinating that the Buffalo area still has a higher educational attainment than the Phoenix area at this time.
And many who obtain advanced levels of education in Upstate NY leave Upstate NY for Greener Pastures. I am sure there are more HS Grads in Suburban Buffalo than the City of PHX. However, wealthier suburbs such as Scottsdale and Gilbert have extremely highly educated demographics. And a whole lot more money than Williamsville,NY and Dewitt,NY residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York