Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
 
1,347 posts, read 1,687,347 times
Reputation: 1249

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Teachers do not qualify for binding arbitration so this will not apply if approved by the state legislature.
Why do you state this.? Are not NYS teachers unions covered by section 209 of the Taylor Law. I thought it applied to all unions of NYS public employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 AM
 
1,609 posts, read 4,695,684 times
Reputation: 722
NY Needs to become a right to work state and save us all a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM
 
1,347 posts, read 1,687,347 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
With teachers the largest workforce on Long Island don't expect any change. !
How are teachers the largest workforce on LI? There are 127 SDs and approx 35000 teachers. There are over 1 million private sector jobs. Propagating this myth communicates the notion "that nothing can be done".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
22,711 posts, read 36,909,494 times
Reputation: 19976
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
How are teachers the largest workforce on LI? There are 127 SDs and approx 35000 teachers. There are over 1 million private sector jobs. Propagating this myth communicates the notion "that nothing can be done".
Data: Teachers form LI's largest workforce; more than 88 percent are white

Those 1 million jobs are all in different occupations, are they not? It's not like there are a million doctors or insurance adjusters or plumbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Smithtown, NY
1,726 posts, read 4,047,661 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Why do you state this.? Are not NYS teachers unions covered by section 209 of the Taylor Law. I thought it applied to all unions of NYS public employees.
They are carved out of the binding arbitration process. Sub (f) paragraph 3.
Perb will assign a fact finding board but it's findings are not binding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
 
1,347 posts, read 1,687,347 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Data: Teachers form LI's largest workforce; more than 88 percent are white

Those 1 million jobs are all in different occupations, are they not? It's not like there are a million doctors or insurance adjusters or plumbers.
The word "workforce" should be replaced with "occupation" for the link to be clear. I understand that as a voting bloc they are to be reckoned with but I believe with a small amount of organization and communication all of us private job holders could easily negate their political power. 36000 teachers should not be feared.

Last edited by kmrlongisland; 02-01-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
 
1,347 posts, read 1,687,347 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
They are carved out of the binding arbitration process. Sub (f) paragraph 3.
Perb will assign a fact finding board but it's findings are not binding.
That section you referred only applies to the parties to the dispute responses to the fact-finding report . For teacher contract disputes the legislative body or authorized committee will not conduct a public hearing where the responses will be heard but the PERB will provide a private meeting to hear the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 09:52 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
22,711 posts, read 36,909,494 times
Reputation: 19976
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
The word "workforce" should be replaced with "occupation" for the link to be clear. I understand that as a voting bloc they are to be reckoned with but I believe with a small amount of organization and communication all of us private job holders could easily negate their political power. 36000 teachers should not be feared.
Hey, you don't need to convince me. But when they live and work in the communities they serve, and get out their vote while most people can't be bothered but sit around crying over their property tax bill, they need to be reckoned with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Smithtown, NY
1,726 posts, read 4,047,661 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
That section you referred only applies to the parties to the dispute responses to the fact-finding report . For teacher contract disputes the legislative body or authorized committee will not conduct a public hearing where the responses will be heard but the PERB will provide a private meeting to hear the responses.
I may have referenced the wrong section but they still are not entitled to BINDING arbitration. They are not listed with the other employee organizations.

Last edited by nassau2suffolk; 02-01-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Smithtown, NY
1,726 posts, read 4,047,661 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
The word "workforce" should be replaced with "occupation" for the link to be clear. I understand that as a voting bloc they are to be reckoned with but I believe with a small amount of organization and communication all of us private job holders could easily negate their political power. 36000 teachers should not be feared.
After you "organize" will you be proactive in trying to better yourself or just continue to bemoan those that still have good pay and benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top