Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,000,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
but I believe with a small amount of organization and communication all of us private job holders could easily negate their political power.
Ha. Been trying it in town of hempstead for oh, 100 years or so. No luck so far but we keep trying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
After you "organize" will you be proactive in trying to better yourself or just continue to bemoan those that still have good pay and benefits?
I'm already great. I believe my kid's 1st grade teacher will be equally as good at $95k/yr with beau coup benefits as she is at $125k. Maybe lighting a fire under her keister will help her proof read the stuff she sends home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,669,515 times
Quote:
I may have referenced the wrong section but they still are not entitled to BINDING arbitration. They are not listed with the other employee organizations.
I don't think you know what you are talking about. You think by restating your statement and using capital letters it will become true? Maybe you should try to "better yourself" by going back to school and learn the definition of bemoan.

Last edited by kmrlongisland; 02-01-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Cuomo trying to force public unions into 2% cap. Go , man, go. I hate to bust unions but we know LI teacher and cop unions have pillaged the place long enough. They should (should) take the deal. If they could strike (I don't know who's under Taylor law or not, too complicated for me) and Newsday posts teacher and cop salaries, public sentiment should (should, but probably won't) crush them. Not to worry though, the politicians in the union's pockets are already mobilizing to avoid any such rational policy.

Besides, the major voting bloc IS public employees and their dependents so the Ponzi is in full effect. Tough for the taxpayers to get out from under the elephant sitting on their chest.

OK, start the flame war.........3...2....1.......go

A lot of the people on here have a brain.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,040,765 times
Teachers cannot go to PERB for binding arbitration, research it yourself.

be·moan(b-mn)
tr.v. be·moaned, be·moan·ing, be·moans 1. To express grief over; lament.
2. To express disapproval of or regret for; deplore

be·moan

/bɪˈmoʊn/ Show Spelled [bih-mohn] Show IPA verb (used with object) 1. to express distress or grief over; lament: to bemoan one's fate.

2. to regard with regret or disapproval.

Definition of BEMOAN

: to express deep grief or distress over

: to regard with displeasure, disapproval, or regret

Take yourself back to school.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,000,510 times
Quote:

be·moan(b-mn)

be·moan

/bɪˈmoʊn/ Show Spelled [bih-mohn] Show IPA verb (used with object) 1. to express distress or grief over; lament: to bemoan one's fate.

Definition of BEMOAN

I'm a bemoaner and an A-moaner (poetic license). I don't bemoan good wages and benefits, I bemoan getting my leg wizzed on and being told it's raining.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:

be·moan(b-mn)

be·moan

Definition of BEMOAN

So lets recap for all of our disinterested readers:
Make a statement in a public forum.
Have a forum member ask where the information was taken from.
Provide an incorrect source for the original statement.
Have a forum member explain the meaning of the provided source.
Re-state the statement as if restatement is all that is needed to prove it's validity.
Unprovoked, criticise a forum member referencing a tangential subject, at the same time incorrectly using his/her list of SAT vocabulary.
Tell the forum member "go look it up yourself" when unable to provide a correct source for original statement.

I think that's pretty close.

Try harder you make this too easy.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM

NYS PERB IMPASSE PROCEDURES

Impasse Procedures

The Director fulfills the obligation to assist in the resolution of disputes by:
  1. reviewing Declarations of Impasse between public employers and the unions representing their employees;
  2. determining if impasse exists in the negotiations;
  3. discerning the appropriate impasse resolution procedure applicable to the negotiations:
    • for units of employees in educational institutions, the procedure calls for mediation, fact-finding and continued negotiations until the parties reach agreement;
    • for police, fire fighters, some transit, and certain other units, mediation is followed by interest arbitration;
    • all other public employee units are provided with mediation and fact-finding, which may be succeeded by a legislative determination of employment terms, if no agreement is reached;
    • in some instances, after mediation and fact-finding have been unsuccessful, the Director may determine that additional assistance should be provided to the parties, in which case a conciliator is assigned.
  4. choosing between staff and per diem panel neutrals when making mediator, fact finder and conciliator assignments;
  5. ensuring that a panel of qualified labor relations neutrals is available to provide mediation, factfinding, conciliation and interest arbitration services on a per diem basis.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
NYS PERB IMPASSE PROCEDURES

Impasse Procedures

The Director fulfills the obligation to assist in the resolution of disputes by:
  1. reviewing Declarations of Impasse between public employers and the unions representing their employees;
  2. determining if impasse exists in the negotiations;
  3. discerning the appropriate impasse resolution procedure applicable to the negotiations:
    • for units of employees in educational institutions, the procedure calls for mediation, fact-finding and continued negotiations until the parties reach agreement;
    • for police, fire fighters, some transit, and certain other units, mediation is followed by interest arbitration;
    • all other public employee units are provided with mediation and fact-finding, which may be succeeded by a legislative determination of employment terms, if no agreement is reached;
    • in some instances, after mediation and fact-finding have been unsuccessful, the Director may determine that additional assistance should be provided to the parties, in which case a conciliator is assigned.
  4. choosing between staff and per diem panel neutrals when making mediator, fact finder and conciliator assignments;
  5. ensuring that a panel of qualified labor relations neutrals is available to provide mediation, factfinding, conciliation and interest arbitration services on a per diem basis.
See, that didn't hurt did it?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
See, that didn't hurt did it?
I don't often research what I know to be true but I'm willing to help the needy from time to time.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times
Quote:
I don't often research what I know to be true but I'm willing to help the needy from time to time.
We need all the help we can get on here. Seriously! Any bona fide information is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York