Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,667,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
I don't often research what I know to be true but I'm willing to help the needy from time to time.
Truly, thanks. My SD has used "binding arbitration" as a reason why they do not negotiate less beneficial teacher contracts. They have stated it is not worth the effort because the arbitrator will most probably side with the teacher's union if the dispute went to arbitration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 02:21 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times

pay that man his money - YouTube

If Cuomo could put this through, that would be impressive. But I think it would take the second coming of Jesus Christ to achieve something like this. Either way they'll find a way around it.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

pay that man his money - YouTube

If Cuomo could put this through, that would be impressive. But I think it would take the second coming of Jesus Christ to achieve something like this. Either way they'll find a way around it.
I hear Malkovich's surly Russian accent without even playing the vid! Good link, Pequa.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM

57,320 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Teachers do not qualify for binding arbitration so this will not apply if approved by the state legislature. However, it could spell the end of Nassau and Suffolk PD piggybacking off of each other. I'm very pro union but even I will admit that they (NCPD,SCPD) have no one to blame but themselves and the county execs that purposely refused to negotiate and went to arbitration.
I am sure some exec's have gone to binding arbitration in the past to save themselves the problem of alienating union backing, far easier to throw up your hands and blame a lousy system.

The problem with Cuomo's proposal is that it only applies to the municipalities that are either the top 25% in terms of property taxes or have reserves less than 5% below the general fund, it should apply to all arbitration awards.

The arbitration system is not working, neither is the PERB. Ruling from back in 2009 by the PERB when the economy was a disaster, the school district wasn't asking for a freeze, just a reduced COL, also they already received close to 5% step increases, why even bother.

Quote:
Page 40-41

Regarding annual wage increases, giving due consideration to the evidence of comparables, weighted in the context of the current and projected economic conditions, the Fact Finder recommends these increases in salary: July 1, 2008: 3.0 percent; July 1, 2009: 3.4 percent; July 1,
2010: 3.9 percent; and, July 1, 2011: 3.9 percent

http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.ed...ntext=perbfact

Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Ha. Been trying it in town of hempstead for oh, 100 years or so. No luck so far but we keep trying!

I'm already great. I believe my kid's 1st grade teacher will be equally as good at $95k/yr with beau coup benefits as she is at $125k. Maybe lighting a fire under her keister will help her proof read the stuff she sends home.
'Proof read' or proofread?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM

592 posts, read 920,318 times
Everyone knows Cuomo is an all hat no cattle phoney. Look at his Sandy response and his non-existent LIPA reforms.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Everyone knows Cuomo is an all hat no cattle phoney. Look at his Sandy response and his non-existent LIPA reforms.
And the mythical 2% property tax cap. Tell Nassau County residents about 2%.

A cap is not a cap when it has more holes than swiss cheese.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
Like most of Cuomo's policies, it is a nice sound byte but it does nothing in reality.

Not to mention they are using a sledge hammer instead of a scalpel. Why do we need 2% caps instead of just going by-contract. Instead of folding like a wet noodle, counties should stand up for their taxpayers.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
'Proof read' or proofread?
I'd give her the benefit of typos if she were typing her notices on a cell phone like my post.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 AM

57,320 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
And the mythical 2% property tax cap. Tell Nassau County residents about 2%.

A cap is not a cap when it has more holes than swiss cheese.
The tax cap has worked to a certain extent, the largest issue is that many districts are borrowing either because they cannot cut anymore due to existing contracts. DiNapoli came up with a method for schools to borrow against the pension fund, right after Cuomo announced the tax cap. This makes no sense and actually makes the financial situation worse because it masks the problems giving taxpayers a false sens of security and pushes the problem into the future. Cuomo and DiNapoli will be long gone and the budget problems will be worse than today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York