U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM

63,458 posts, read 88,936,888 times

Advertisements

Innovation Trail
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 AM

97 posts, read 170,963 times
I'm Gen Y and I agree totally. We're attracted to urban living because of the benefits in walkability, diversity, and character but don't tend to have a lot of money to live well in NYC. Upstate cities like Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse are great options.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,726,083 times
Not Gen X not have I or my parents lived in a city so its just in general that ill answer.

People fled the cities for some very good reasons. I remember the cities in the 70's and people were scaried for good reason.

Now all the cities are basically ghost towns and are safe enough.

But I can't help but wonder that if enough people move back in the old conditions won't start back up again. Right now lack of victims is keeping cities safe.

Something tells me that if the grand kids of those who fled the cities move back in large enough numbers the old problems will return.

Along the lines of if we don't learn from our past we are doomed to repeat it.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Not Gen X not have I or my parents lived in a city so its just in general that ill answer.

People fled the cities for some very good reasons. I remember the cities in the 70's and people were scaried for good reason.

But I can't help but wonder that if enough people move back in the old conditions won't start back up again. Right now lack of victims is keeping cities safe.

Something tells me that if the grand kids of those who fled the cities move back in large enough numbers the old problems will return.

Along the lines of if we don't learn from our past we are doomed to repeat it.
It wasn't necessarily that people were scared of the cities. Multiple factors like urban renewal, increased suburbanization, real or assumed better schools and some wanting more space, among other reasons, caused some to leave the cities. I wouldn't call them ghost towns, but the infrastructure can or could hold more people than there are currently living there. Even now, you are seeing demand for housing in urban Downtown districts increase in some Upstate cities, slowly, but steadily. Given other factors like gas prices and wanting to live closer to where the action is, for a couple of examples, I wouldn't be surprised if the interest of moving into cities increase.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:39 AM

When the hippsters babies hit about the 3rd grade they will realize there mistake.

Hard to put an exact date on it, impossible actually, but my wild guess is we are 5-10 years from another wave of pulling out of the cities.

Smaller of coarse because not many are there this time.

Everything is fun when its lets get wasted every night but when the reality of those schools hit them its off to Clay and Fayetteville or wherever.

That moment when we realize our parents were pretty smart after all hits most about 30.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
When the hippsters babies hit about the 3rd grade they will realize there mistake.

Hard to put an exact date on it, impossible actually, but my wild guess is we are 5-10 years from another wave of pulling out of the cities.

Smaller of coarse because not many are there this time.

Everything is fun when its lets get wasted every night but when the reality of those schools hit them its off to Clay and Fayetteville or wherever.

That moment when we realize our parents were pretty smart after all hits most about 30.
You would be surprised by how many people stick with urban schools, because they realize that education is a personal responsibility and not necessarily a matter of location. You also have many people that opt for private or charter schools. So, there are educational options that can exercised.

Actually, people leaving city limits in Upstate cities has slowed down or have even increased in recent years. So, the trend is showing otherwise.

City neighborhoods vary. So, you can't put whole cities in a vacuum.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM

Like I said, never lived in a city and never will. Also don't have anymore kids.

I think the cities have been drained of victims so they "appear" safe.

So its fun for the hipsters to play little games when young but when the rabbit dies that cute little house in the burbs with great schools is gonna look awful nice.

The ones gonna be left holding the bag are the ones without kids. People will move back in, crime will raise and schools will still suck. The younger ones will move to the burbs leaving the older ones with abit of a problem.

But like I said, if I'm right its years away. Not enough victims have even moved back in to restart the cycle so the are still shouting "the waters fine".

Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 AM

97 posts, read 170,963 times
Quote:

Oh for God's sake, how many cities have you been in? Rochester's South Wedge is said to be the fastest-growing urban neighborhood in the state outside New York City. Park Avenue, Swillburg, Highland Park, Upper Mount Hope, Upper Monroe, Monroe Village, North Winton Village, the East End, Wadsworth Square, and the Neighborhood of the Arts are all thriving urban neighborhoods. Downtown Rochester has also seen a boom in luxury lofts. Population there has finally rebounded enough that we may be getting a downtown grocery store again. JOSANA, Plymouth-Exchange, the Susan B. Anthony Neighborhood, and the 19th Ward are also making huge strides towards neighborhood revival. Again, this is just Rochester I'm talking about but I've heard similar stories from other cities in upstate NY.

Believe it or not, you can get a one-family house with a yard in the city. You can find them in all the places I named above. You can find good schools in the city too - private schools, charter schools, and even some good public schools. You also have more walkability and less car dependency. You have cultural diversity and neighborhoods with historic character. Urban living has many, many advantages that more and more people are coming to appreciate.

Again, I ask, how many cities have you actually spent time in? Because everything you posted has been incredibly ignorant.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM

As I stated above I have never lived in a city and never will.

Just taking my best wild guess on the innerweb.

If you have actual facts about what the future bring can I please have next weeks powerball number??

Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
As I stated above I have never lived in a city and never will.

Just taking my best wild guess on the innerweb.

If you have actual facts about what the future bring can I please have next weeks powerball number??
So, you are admitting that you don't have any idea about the subject? This is something that is occurring throughout the country. Just take a look at other forums and cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or