Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,039,080 times

Advertisements

I'm watching the "Sunday Morning" show and they just talked about "The Borscht Belt" up in the mountains of NY. I am surprised that all of those hotels are closed now and just empty land. I was up there once at "The Concord" and saw a gr-reat show~! Any of you all here been there~? When did all of this close down~? I was there like in the 1980's sometime. What are your memories~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 22 days ago)

43,548 posts, read 44,272,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I'm watching the "Sunday Morning" show and they just talked about "The Borscht Belt" up in the mountains of NY. I am surprised that all of those hotels are closed now and just empty land. I was up there once at "The Concord" and saw a gr-reat show~! Any of you all here been there~? When did all of this close down~? I was there like in the 1980's sometime. What are your memories~?
I too saw "The Borscht Belt" segment and was also surprised to hear those hotels are closed. I know that my great-aunt who died in 2001 went up to the Catskills during the summers of the 1990s.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,039,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I too saw "The Borscht Belt" segment and was also surprised to hear those hotels are closed. I know that my great-aunt who died in 2001 went up to the Catskills during the summers of the 1990s.
I won't forget because I had a great week up there. They had a singles weekend, but since it is so far from Kentucky, I went for the week. I forgot who the comedian was, but Andrew "Dice" Clay was there a week before him. I'd love to see him.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM

402 posts, read 810,457 times
One of those nice resort place's is now a retirement home (not nursing, pretty elegant actually, forget what they are called)... and the summer the area is full of vacationing hasidics, who stay at bungalow colonies scattered through the area. On Saturday nights, I believe many gather at Wal-Mart in Monticello and "party". Quite a site all the garbage they leave.. I believe the population of Sullivan county is roughly 70 K and swell's to 250 k during the summer.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,265,042 times
While not part of the "belt", Sharon Springs is very similar. I'm from up the road abit and have been to see the old hotels many times.

That area must have been really something back in the day. Some of the hotels in Sharon are VERY large.

I have heard that area is having a small revival of sorts but haven't been over that way in a number of years.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,682,225 times
They all started to die and go out of business when air travel became common place and more affordable to the NY City folks.Now the native folks have lost a large tax base and pay high taxes on their land.Sullivan county is a prime example around the Monticello area.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 AM

19,221 posts, read 17,043,822 times
Most pin the end of the Borscht Belt as starting in the mid 60's. As the above mentioned as air travel became common and social norms changed younger people wanted to travel elswhere. Grossingers closed in the mid 80's and the Concord somewhat later, but it has been leveled. This link is for part 1 of 4 on a tv series called Memories of the Catskills
Memories of The Catskills -- Part 1 of 4 - YouTube , if you search on You Tube for "memories of the Catskills" you will get a lot of returns with movies that explain what/when happened pretty good. Today several of the large hotels cater to the Hassidic/Orthodox communities. Some like Homawack & The Nevele are there but closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: