Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:04 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
Not all the time! Guards on the Rainbow Bridge in Niagra Falls do not always check because they know you are just walking across for a few Hours. Although They do check if you coming in by Vehicle or plan to stay overnight with luggage. Also if you have a Local address in Buffalo or the Falls sometimes the Board Guards on both sides are less strict towards you.

If anybody is at risk you go to the Canadian Consulate in downtown Buffalo and ask for permission! Especially if they have a valid US passport! The Consulate can issue them a document granting temporary permission to visit Canada.

Even if you have a valid Passport you can still be denied entry into Canada! Thats because the Passport number gives the Guards direct access to government databases and everything else about you that a birth certicate and Drivers license will not give them! My advise to you is don't go around saying that one!!
Dee -- Re: quotes you use itn the above post:
How are you mixing my info w/others? Makes it sound like I use my birth certificate to "get around" having a passport for illegal reasons... I just never felt the need to have one, as the crossing was never a pain until recently.
Found it odd you mixed me w/others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 05:10 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen824 View Post
Sorry, I am a little confused...if my family and I (we live in Rochester) decide to take a trip up to Canada, and we all bring our passports (we all have them, including the kids), do we need to bring birth certificates too? That would seem like overkill to me, but these days, who knows?
Also, coming from Rochester, is there a less-busy place to cross the border to Canada, that wouldn't be too far out of the way? We'd probably be going to London, Ontario.
Thanks!
Karen, up until the 1st of the year, you can use birth certificates if you are driving. After that, you need passports and kids need their own. Added item w/kids: my friend's daughter was crossing w/her child and they asked for proof of marriage. They want to make sure no kid is taken out fo the country by a non-custodial parent. ( she has a passport, only now she carries her marriage license as well as the baby's birth cert.; she is waiting for the baby's passport!)

Do you know where the Lewiston Queenston bridge is? I know commercial traffic and holders of the frequent crossers pass can use it; I imagine people can. You should check. It is less crowded.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:21 PM

131 posts, read 742,038 times
No, no - the Queenston/Lewiston bridge is the MOST crowded. I cross the border at least once or twice a week, and we avoid this bridge at peak times - particularly on the weekends and Thursday and Friday evenings. On weekends you can expect a 2+ hour wait - Canadian shoppers taking advantage of the strong dollar. The same is true at the Peace bridge at Buffalo/Fort Erie.

The Nexus pass is NOT valid at the Q/L bridge. You can use it at the Peace Bridge or the Whirlpool Bridge at Niagara Falls.

The best bridge to cross at peak times is the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls. When the Q/L bridge is packed, there may only be a 15 minute wait at the Rainbow.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
I'm from Buffalo..Can I use my birth cerfificate, social security or Id to cross to canada and come back to the us?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori99 View Post
I'm from Buffalo..Can I use my birth cerfificate, social security or Id to cross to canada and come back to the us?
Not anymore. You will need either a US Passport or an Enhanced NY State drivers license to get back into the US.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
Not all the time! Guards on the Rainbow Bridge in Niagra Falls do not always check because they know you are just walking across for a few Hours. Although They do check if you coming in by Vehicle or plan to stay overnight with luggage. Also if you have a Local address in Buffalo or the Falls sometimes the Board Guards on both sides are less strict towards you.

If anybody is at risk you go to the Canadian Consulate in downtown Buffalo and ask for permission! Especially if they have a valid US passport! The Consulate can issue them a document granting temporary permission to visit Canada.
They don't check everyone for a criminal record, its very random. Its also my understanding that if your crime is over 10 years old you may qualify for "deemed rehabilitated" which means that the border guards can let you in at their own discretion.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:55 AM

32 posts, read 104,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Not anymore. You will need either a US Passport or an Enhanced NY State drivers license to get back into the US.
Or a passport card would work too, and I think enhanced driver's licenses from other states, like Washington or Michigan.

FYI: a regular passport is necessary for travel by air from Canada (or anywhere else) to NY, and not just a passport card or enhanced driver's license. But the others can be used in (most of?) the western hemisphere for travel by land or sea.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:59 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
I always bring my birth certificate and driver's license. That's usually enough. If you're a NY resident you can get the enhanced license for a $50 fee (or something like that) and it acts as a passport to Canada and Mexico. I assume other states such as yours have similar programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York