Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 03:57 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

https://www.retirementliving.com/tax...yoming#NEWYORK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
/\

Seems to reinforce what ever other poster has said.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times
Can't believe CKH Data forums is continually beating a dead horse with what 99.9% of all current and former NY residents agree upon. NY is overtaxed for their level of income regardless of the amount of income. People who are taxpayers as myself and others have shown the benefits ad nauseum through factual number crunching of living in the Sun Belt. Yet, that 0.1% are blinded by that cheesy "I Love NY" chamber of commerce caca that started over 30 years ago with that annoying state song along with the t shirts. I will say something positive. LETS GO ORANGE ! Hope a repeat of 2003 is in the cards again !

Last edited by magnum0417; 04-06-2013 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM

79 posts, read 226,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Can't believe CKH Data forums is continually beating a dead horse with what 99.9% of all current and former NY residents agree upon. NY is overtaxed for their level of income regardless of the amount of income. People who are taxpayers as myself and others have shown the benefits ad nauseum through factual number crunching of living in the Sun Belt. Yet, that 0.1% are blinded by that cheesy "I Love NY" chamber of commerce caca that started over 30 years ago with that annoying state song along with the t shirts. I will say something positive. LETS GO ORANGE ! Hope a repeat of 2003 is in the cards again !
The only reason those don't seems to grasp the idea of high tax in New York are the same ones enjoying handouts, food stamps and welfares.

I think ckhthankgod jinxed the Syracuse game last night.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
Just found this thread today and it seems like a good place for me to vent. We live in upstate, near Canton NY. Very rural. My daughter's school has 300 students in grades k-12. We have nothing but the basics for services, which we expect living in a rural area. This year the school is cutting absolutely everything for extra curricular except 3 varsity sports. Its definitely bared bones. And the night I got home from the board meeting discussing the nixing of our school extras I found out that our property had been reassessed this year from 120k to 200k. Apparently because of equalization a majority of folks had their assessments raised.

So my new yearly property tax bill is $6000. And that is based on the rates from last year, but I know the school is seeking the maximum tax increase this year, so that number will be higher.

So for fun I decided to check the taxes if I lived in someplace warm and sunny like myrtle beach. If I lived in the city there my taxes for the same property value (200K) would be $1000. That's 5k cheaper!!! That's a family vaca every year.

$6000 a year means that even if I own my house I will forever have to pay $500 a year to keep it. Which will of course go up every year.

And 200k value is hysterical as the average time on market for a home here is measured in years not days.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Just found this thread today and it seems like a good place for me to vent. We live in upstate, near Canton NY. Very rural. My daughter's school has 300 students in grades k-12. We have nothing but the basics for services, which we expect living in a rural area. This year the school is cutting absolutely everything for extra curricular except 3 varsity sports. Its definitely bared bones. And the night I got home from the board meeting discussing the nixing of our school extras I found out that our property had been reassessed this year from 120k to 200k. Apparently because of equalization a majority of folks had their assessments raised.

So my new yearly property tax bill is $6000. And that is based on the rates from last year, but I know the school is seeking the maximum tax increase this year, so that number will be higher.

So for fun I decided to check the taxes if I lived in someplace warm and sunny like myrtle beach. If I lived in the city there my taxes for the same property value (200K) would be $1000. That's 5k cheaper!!! That's a family vaca every year.

$6000 a year means that even if I own my house I will forever have to pay $500 a year to keep it. Which will of course go up every year.

And 200k value is hysterical as the average time on market for a home here is measured in years not days.
Avoid reading any more of the older posts or you will just get agravated. There are those who post that would say well just put in for star and that levels everthing. No the reality is that the average tax burden in a NY community is 3x or more than most locals in the south with less services and features provided. I know my tax burden on 200K would be $1740 ($8.70 x # thousands/assessed value).

Old 04-07-2013, 02:27 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Living in NY is like that anti cocaine ad from the 80's, I do more work do I can buy more coke so I can do more work so I can buy more coke.

In NY you do more work so you can pay more taxes.

Property taxes go up so I have to hustle more work. But then my state and Federal income taxes go up so I have to work twice as had to get the money to pay the property taxes.

On the surface my income is pretty impressive. But in terms of actual cash people making half what I do have more actual cash.

That's the most comman theme of every single person I know who's left NY, and its getting to be a lot of folks, is you just can't believe how much easier life is when the tax man ain't breathing down your neck.

And like Naley says ill never be able to afford to retire in NY. No possible way I can keep up with these taxes. In just 11 years my property taxes have equaled what was my entire payment with escrow.

Even if NY started cutting taxes today it's too late. And they are still going up so its not like the theory of saving NY is relevant.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Seems to reinforce what ever other poster has said.
It was for another post and my point has been made. Taxes are one aspect of costs.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:08 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
Yeah with this current increase even Dad is thinking of moving for the first time ever. He has always been a staunch supporter of our town and school, he was not happy when we moved two hours away. Yet he's even starting to say it might be cheaper elsewhere. Grandma and Grandpa and one of my uncles live near Myrtle Beach and we are always blown away by the cheaper cost of living there.

And that argument of get a cheaper place doesn't make sense. The whole point is I can afford a nice a place in another area, the only reason I cannot afford one here is taxes. My taxes have more than doubled in the last 6-7 years yet my services from those taxes have DRASTICALLY decreased. Not only am I getting less for my money, I am getting substantially less for substantially more money. I graduated from my daughters school and I am appalled by the changes there, the lack of opportunities she has.

I spent the day researching cost comparisons between here and Myrtle Beach. For 150-200K I could have a beautiful brand new home within 4-5 miles of the ocean. The current cost of gas in Myrtle is 3.30 a gallon (I called Grandpa) vs 3.88 a gallon here. SC income taxes would be about $60 a year cheaper (negligible difference). Groceries are much cheaper, produce options superior.

However, there is the car tax, which is something irksome to take into consideration. But I think it'd be worth it for the blue sky and sunshine.

NY state just doesn't seem to understand what is happening. People cannot afford to live here so they leave. That leaves the same (or higher) costs to support the state with less people to pay it. Therefore the people left have to pay more. So they leave. Its a cycle that can only be fixed by making it cheaper to live in NY state. Instead the powers that be are making it more costly to live in NY state, which will only increase the rate at which people leave.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
My mother and youngest daughter are actually in Myrtle Beach right now. I been getting pictures all day. It's pretty cold there by SC standards but is gonna get better as the week goes on. Here its gonna be gloomy everyday except Monday with temps in the low 30' by the weekend and most likely snow.

Ya you should definety pay extra to love in a place that gets snow in the middle of April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York