Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I havw to agree. NY is just an illusion. Taxes are killing families. Housing sucks. Quality of life is not great due to the high cost of living.
Cost of living does vary within the state and it is the same with other states, as COL varies. I think you should have taken the Upstate Medical position instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Moving costs $5000 cross country generally speaking through United Van Lines for an average amount of stuff for them to load. Depends on weight to determine price . Way better than renting a Penske and paying gas every 50 miles considering it's such a gas guzzler.

Plenty of solid states with nicer weather and tax breaks than NY State. It's an absolute joke that NY justifies almost 7% in income taxes. For what ? Where is it going ? California which I love for vacations has even higher income taxes than NY. However, property taxes are lower in 48 of the 50 states per value of one's home. Only state with worse property taxes is New Jersey which is dead last for taxes/value of home ratio. California atleast can justify their taxes for year around beaches to swim in and umpteen geographical and climate zones to make everyone's hobbies happy. NY. Deciduous trees, beaches in LI for a few months and some modest mountains. Wow. NY City is cool to visit and grow up around (lived an hour away as a kid). However, you couldn't pay me to live there as a taxpaying adult.Upstate is just old decaying relics stuck in the 1970's. Buffalo, Rochester,Syracuse, Utica, Albany, you name it. Rust Belt towns with aging architecture that is just uncool and unclean. I suppose if you are some stubborn baby boomer, you'll be in denial until you die that Upstate is acceptable. The Gen Xers with a brain have said goodbye. Sick of your taxes and lousy weather !
I don't see how 113 degrees with 13% humidity in AZ is nicer than 50-60 degree weather than NY.

Sure complain all you want about NY state taxes, but remember low tax states like AZ get more back from the federal government than what they pay into it. I.e., AZ is basically getting a welfare check from NY, NJ, CA, and MA. Totally cool, NOT!
Republican states generally pay less in federal taxes than they get back in federal spending – Applesauce - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star

Most Red States Take More Money From Washington Than They Put In | Mother Jones

America's fiscal union: The red and the black | The Economist

Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM

While I'm not happy with NY taxes, I can't help but comment that many low tax states get more money back from the federal government than they put in.

So basically Alabama indirectly is getting a welfare check from New York, NBD ya know.

Let poorer states pay for their own problems, and stop leeching off of New York and California.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,715,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
I don't see how 113 degrees with 13% humidity in AZ is nicer than 50-60 degree weather than NY.

Sure complain all you want about NY state taxes, but remember low tax states like AZ get more back from the federal government than what they pay into it. I.e., AZ is basically getting a welfare check from NY, NJ, CA, and MA. Totally cool, NOT!
Republican states generally pay less in federal taxes than they get back in federal spending – Applesauce - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star

Most Red States Take More Money From Washington Than They Put In | Mother Jones

America's fiscal union: The red and the black | The Economist
What state's have you resided in besides NY ? The temps you get in the summer we get from October through May. A lot of 60's 70's and 80's. June through September is the only stretch with consistent temps above 100. October through April absolutely is deplorable in NY. Snow and gloom. To go along with your decaying architecture in the Upstate Rust Belt towns. Enjoy the 30 and snow you are dealing with as I type this.

We've discussed ad nauseum the fact that NY and CA give more entitlements out to their own residents than states such as AZ. Have you ever been to Arizona ? Way more to this state than Phoenix as far as recreation and diverse geographic and climate zones. Arizona unemployment benefits caps at $240/week so those who lose a job cannot sit back on $450 or whatever NY maxes out at each week for unenjoyment. Again, entitlements. Breeds laziness and makes those who are hardworking and honest leave NY. No regrets. My only regret was wasting many years convincing my wife to join me which held up my job transfer.

You want to really impress me genius ? Since you aren't a fan of the state you reside in, do something about it and leave.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
What state's have you resided in besides NY ? The temps you get in the summer we get from October through May. A lot of 60's 70's and 80's. June through September is the only stretch with consistent temps above 100. October through April absolutely is deplorable in NY. Snow and gloom. To go along with your decaying architecture in the Upstate Rust Belt towns. Enjoy the 30 and snow you are dealing with as I type this.

We've discussed ad nauseum the fact that NY and CA give more entitlements out to their own residents than states such as AZ. Have you ever been to Arizona ? Way more to this state than Phoenix as far as recreation and diverse geographic and climate zones. Arizona unemployment benefits caps at $240/week so those who lose a job cannot sit back on $450 or whatever NY maxes out at each week for unenjoyment. Again, entitlements. Breeds laziness and makes those who are hardworking and honest leave NY. No regrets. My only regret was wasting many years convincing my wife to join me which held up my job transfer.

You want to really impress me genius ? Since you aren't a fan of the state you reside in, do something about it and leave.
I've lived CO, CA, FL, DC and NY..probably more states than you have. I didn't say NY had better weather, but it's not like AZ has the perfect climate all year. Also, as we discussed some people like the change in seasons which AZ lacks. Colorado is a much better choice for more interesting weather if you're going to live out west.

So if you're in AZ why do you keep coming to NY forums? You must be bored out there. Yea ok, NY and CA have more handouts but just remember AZ is in the same boat as states like MS and AL where they get back more money than they put in..aka indirectly leeching off of states like NY and CA.

Ironic though. AZ gives less welfare and more "take care of yourself attitude" yet AZ also has a higher teen pregnancy rate, meth usage rate, car-theft rate, murder rate, and overall poverty rate than that awful, ugly NY.

While you're outside in the 60 degree AZ weather remember you're getting a welfare check from NY..but wait apparently you're not outside enjoying the amazing AZ weather, but rather bashing NY and CA on an internet forum instead. LAME.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 03-19-2013 at 10:25 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,715,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
I've lived CO, CA, FL, DC and NY..probably more states than you have. I didn't say NY had better weather, but it's not like AZ has the perfect climate all year. Also, as we discussed some people like the change in seasons which AZ lacks. Colorado is a much better choice for more interesting weather if you're going to live out west.

So if you're in AZ why do you keep coming to NY forums? You must be bored out there. Yea ok, NY and CA have more handouts but just remember AZ is in the same boat as states like MS and AL where they get back more money than they put in..aka indirectly leeching off of states like NY and CA.

Ironic though. AZ gives less welfare and more "take care of yourself attitude" yet AZ also has a higher teen pregnancy rate, meth usage rate, car-theft rate, murder rate, and overall poverty rate than that awful, ugly NY.

While you're outside in the 60 degree AZ weather remember you're getting a welfare check from NY..but wait apparently you're not outside enjoying the amazing AZ weather, but rather bashing NY and CA on an internet forum instead. LAME.
You damn right Arizona is a "Take Care of Yourself" state amongst those who work full time. If you look at my posts, I post on occasion in the evening after my work and errands are done. I don't like people BSing potential NY residents on Upstate in particular. I don't want to see people set up for misery.

In 14 months, I've taken advantage of recreation and scenic spots throughout CA, NM and Mexico in addition to Arizona. If anything, my coworkers tell me I am too much of a nature freak that burns a ton of gas in my downtime trying to cram in all the sites in the SW. It's rejuvenating which is something Upstate is not.

Examples:

1) Too hot in PHX ? Take a two hour drive to Flagstaff at 7000 feet and have NY summer temps.
2) Wants 4 seasons without much snow ? Spend a winter weekend in Prescott or Sedona.
3) Want year around hiking ? PHX outside of the summer months (Camelback Mt, Picketpost Mt near Superior).

Freezing at 30 degrees in NY right now ? Pay hundreds upon hundreds to fly south. No climatic or ecological diversity over short distances is a recipe for boredom and that's what NY offers outside of a few months in the summer for swimming. Skiing ? Wow. You have some 4000 foot peaks in the Catskills and Adirondacks. Mt Lemmon near Tucson is 9000 and San Francisco Mts near Flagstaff are 12000.

Last edited by magnum0417; 03-19-2013 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
You damn right Arizona is a "Take Care of Yourself" state amongst those who work full time. If you look at my posts, I post on occasion in the evening after my work and errands are done. I don't like people BSing potential NY residents on Upstate in particular. I don't want to see people set up for misery.

In 14 months, I've taken advantage of recreation and scenic spots throughout CA, NM and Mexico in addition to Arizona. If anything, my coworkers tell me I am too much of a nature freak that burns a ton of gas in my downtime trying to cram in all the sites in the SW. It's rejuvenating which is something Upstate is not.

Examples:

1) Too hot in PHX ? Take a two hour drive to Flagstaff at 7000 feet and have NY summer temps.
2) Wants 4 seasons without much snow ? Spend a winter weekend in Prescott or Sedona.
3) Want year around hiking ? PHX outside of the summer months (Camelback Mt, Picketpost Mt near Superior).

Freezing at 30 degrees in NY right now ? Pay hundreds upon hundreds to fly south. No climatic or ecological diversity over short distances is a recipe for boredom and that's what NY offers outside of a few months in the summer for swimming. Skiing ? Wow. You have some 4000 foot peaks in the Catskills and Adirondacks. Mt Lemmon near Tucson is 9000 and San Francisco Mts near Flagstaff are 12000.
So, I guess the 1000 Islands, the Finger Lakes, Letchworth State Park, the Catskills and the many waterways, among other things, are just slouches. With all of that driving, maybe the savings even out or aren't as great as we think when you add it all up.

States out West are huge. So, to compare Arizona(6th in land size) to the state that is 30th in land size isn't a reasonable comparison. Basically, you could probably add PA and NJ to NY's land size and it still may not be enough. States - Ranked by Size & Population - ipl2 Stately Knowledge: Facts about the United States

Given NY's size, it actually packs quite a bit in a relatively small land area.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,882 times
I think his point is that 99% of the people only go to those places in June July and August while AZ has year around options.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Examples:

Yea explorining microclimates are nice...when you have time. Like the average family with kids who are involved with activities and other family/friends events has time to explore the microclimates of the west every weekend.

I like how you emphasize driving two hours to these temperatures, when during summer and fall we don't have to drive anywhere in NY to find better weather, right at our footstep.

Skiing in San Franscisco? I didn't realize Pheonix and San Fransicaco were only two hours away by car.

Pay thousands to fly south during the winter...well yea we all know the lush Florida beaches are way better than SoCal beaches. You can't pay me to take a trip to freezing SoCal beaches during the winter with that cold front. So yea I'll pay "thousands" to go to Florida for top US beaches than some hiking in AZ or mediocre SoCal beach.

And if AZ is so much better off than NY, then please explain why AZ has a higher teen pregnancy rate, higher murder rate, high car-theft rate, higher meth usage rate, and overall higher poverty rate than NY? Looks like the "do it yourself" attitude is working out very well there.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I think his point is that 99% of the people only go to those places in June July and August while AZ has year around options.
You can go to the mountains year around as well. You have plenty of parks that are open year around and you have more than just 3 months to many other things, if you so desire. It is just that the activities may be different depending on the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York