Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaberry View Post
It is that bad? I really did not know too much before! You get the point!
No, it's not that bad and it has it's good and bad parts of town. It has great scenery in the area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,588 times
I live in one of the small towns/suburbs of Utica and things are not as bad as your experience was. Like any city you have some rough parts, but you also have the suburbs and the malls and the parks. You also have a small quaint zoo, a ski slope right in town, a great theatre with national acts and musicals, wonderful organizations and people, nearby lakes and resorts, good schools and small colleges, and all of this is easily accessible on the Thruway. We go to NYC, Boston, Philly, and DC if we want the big city museums and clubs within a seven hour ride. What we don't have is gridlocks even during "rush" hour, homes are still affordable and nice for about 100 to 150k, taxes are only OK but they are like that in all of NY state (far worse downstate). I've been at dozens of cities and Utica has the same stuff. Home Depot, Lowes, Macys, what else do you want?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:09 PM

Don't forget the 4 area colleges, the ballet, symphony, museums and Varick St.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 12,733 times
I am a resident of Utica. I moved here when I was 3 years old from Puerto Rico. Growing up I detested it, mainly because all of my family lived in Orlando. And everytime I went to visit them, they always had something fun planned, and all I could do was my ride my bike around the neighborhood I lived in. As time passed my parents made the decesion to move to Orlando, and really that was like the root of all evil, the life there is so full of choices, of which my parents made all the wrong ones; they forgot about family value, and forgot how to keep a family together. Before there seperation we came back to Utica but by them it was to late, I finished High school locally, even though they seperated they both maintained residency here. Now that I am older, married, with a child I realize the importance of the culture that Utica has implemented in my family. Although I am from Puerto Rico, the culture around here seems to be more Italian based, the foods are delicious, the people in all- BLACK, WHITE, HISPANIC or ASIAN are friendly. I've adapted alot of the local culture, I attend all local events, teaching my child family values, learning to embrace life. Yes, Utica has its moments, the State needs to do more to help the appearance of the city in some areas. I for one, live on James St., blocks away from the heart of the city, of which many crimes are committed, but it is getting better. They have added a new Public Saftey center in the middle of James St., the people are friendly in my neighborhood, i have really nice neighboors, and I have a really beautiful house and a great job. Utica needs some TLC, the "Pot Hole Killer" is not doing enough, but please do not bash a City that you apparently are not from, being here 3/4 years or a "semester" of school is not enough to say your from Utica; there is crime all over the world there are places much more condemmed. I LOVE UTICA this will be my home forever!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:01 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
I really hope Utica turns around.

I love going to Utica and hearing all the people speaking different languages.

Utica is actually growing. In Upstate!!! Its a flicker of hope but still hope. A city in NY GROWING.

Go Utica!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

Utica is actually growing. In Upstate!!! Its a flicker of hope but still hope. A city in NY GROWING.

Go Utica!!!!!!!!!
Actually, Plattsburgh, Watertown, Saratoga Springs, Glens Falls and some other cities grew or held steady in population. So, there are some other examples in Upstate NY.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Just the biggies Upstate so to speak, Albany (which I did not check), Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo and Binghamton.

I just checked, Albany grew also. Not sure if thats a good thing.

Utica could be a nice city. Downtown could use alittle sprucing up.

Binghamton actually had 0%. Which is ok. Before growth the slide has to stop and they have got that. Now they can work on growth.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 AM

144 posts, read 638,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

Go Utica!!!!!!!!!
Roefaro is out of office soon, that's the greatest hope going for Utica.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 AM

37 posts, read 86,917 times
Ithaca, Oneonta, Corning, somewhere in the Catskills? Its going to be hard to escape collapsing infrastructure but everything will come around and every city has its good and bad.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
We have a discussion and a poll going on in the NYC forum entitled "ending the high cost of living in NYC". Would be great if some of you stop by and share your thoughts about possible future development in the upstate NY region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York