Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 PM

25 posts, read 160,255 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to New York soon because I am going to be working full time at West Point! I have been all over the Hudson Valley area and the town I like the best (by far) is New Paltz. New Paltz also offers me a more affordable, comfortable living option compared to the alternatives, like Beacon.

Just as a note, I really don't need to hear from anyone who thinks I am crazy for considering this commute. I know it's a little bit long. I am really just looking for some useful information.

I get commuter reimbursement if I take the Shortline from Newburgh to West Point each morning (and West Point to Newburgh in the afternoon). What I am thinking of doing is driving from New Paltz to the Newburgh bus station each morning, then taking the 6:50 a.m. Shortline bus to West Point. I would then take the 4:30/4:45 bus back to Newburgh from West Point and drive home from Newburgh.

Does anyone do this, or know any West Point employees who do this? The transportation person told me that many people commute to WP from White Plains (a similar distance) but did not mention anyone who comes down from New Paltz. If you know of anyone who does this, perhaps we could carpool or set up a WP shuttle if there are enough employees.

Do you think my plan sounds feasible?

I have used Google Maps, but does anyone know how long it takes (in real time) to get from New Paltz to Newburgh on I-87 around 6 a.m., and then back around 5:15 p.m.?

Any thoughtful information/discussion is helpful!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
Shouldn't be too bad of a commute. I'm sure there is at least a handful of people that commute from New Paltz to New York City every day, that's a crazy commute!

The trip from New Paltz to Newburgh is quick -- probably about 30 minutes each way, depending on where you live in New Paltz.

I'd imagine the Newburgh - West Point bus takes another 30 minutes or so. So your total travel time is probably no more than 75 minutes each way.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM

45 posts, read 72,274 times
Warning: This doesn't address your question about commuting for work. Just in regard to New Paltz in terms of getting around in general and living here. What makes it unique for this rural area (besides being a college town) there is pretty good public transportation in and around New Paltz locally. Trailways that can take you to Port Authority NYC, or Long Island, and other destinations. There's also a Park and Ride on the north side of the village, which is also a bus stop.
Also on a very local note, the back roads have a lot of people on bikes. And best of all, the Rail Trail that runs through New Paltz provides a wonderful way to get from the south side to the north side on foot, or by bike. It's like walking in a forest, with lots of people walking their dogs and a great way to strike up conversations. Be aware that if you are thinking of buying, the property taxes are ridiculously high.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Transportation

Thank you! We actually have a big dog so it sounds like a perfect place to be able to take him out. I grew up in the northeast so I do know about the taxes - whew! I don't think I will be buying anytime soon.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Dreamshot & Commutes

Also thank you Dreamshot. I know it is a little long but I think it will be worth it to improve my quality of life. And I guess if it's just too much then I can always move closer after a year.

Also, just FYI to anyone who is considering a long-ish commute to West Point, transportation said that they know of people who commute all the way to West Point from Pennsylvania 1.5 hours each way. So, these commutes can be done and some are even longer than this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York