Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,124 times

Advertisements

We are driving from Philly to Toronto this summer for a relative's wedding. We have two young ones (ages 2 and 4) and would like to break up the trip by stopping somewhere in the middle for 2 days. The Finger Lakes area is just about in the middle of the trip and would be a perfect stopping point.

We are looking for a town by a kid friendly lake, preferably with beaches and possibly an easy hiking trail (we won't be bringing a stroller, but we can wear the 2 year old if necessary). I think we'd like to visit the Corning Museum of Glass as well, so nearby that would be a plus. We don't plan on visiting any wineries. Basically, a low key, couple of days at the lake with a trip to the museum.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:57 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,505,727 times
Watkins Glen would be my choice. There's a state park smack in the middle of it - Watkins Glen State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Also lots of cool little shops and such, boat marinas, etc. I've never gone there for beaches so not sure if there are any. It's also about a half hour from Corning

Old 04-15-2013, 04:04 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,505,727 times
Here's the chamber - Watkins Glen - Finger Lakes NY

Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 PM

92,325 posts, read 122,573,532 times
^ This or this: Hammondsport Chamber of Commerce

Keuka Lake State Park Amenities & Activities- NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Here's a pretty good website: Things to Do - Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-15-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,335,108 times
If you want to stay right on the lake, finding accommodations for only a 2 night stay in the summer might be challenging. There are a few B&B's, but the finger lakes region has almost no hotels right on the water. If you are willing to stay off-lake, more hotel options are available. Plenty of vacation rentals on-lake, but these often have minimum stay requirements during peak season.

The one hotel I can highly recommend if you're looking to be right on the water in the Finger Lakes is Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel Watkins Glen New York This is on Seneca Lake, and would be convenient to the Corning Museum of Glass. The kids will enjoy Seneca Lake State Park: Seneca Lake State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation If stairs aren't a problem, check out Watkins Glen Watkins Glen State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation It is beautiful.

For the record my favorite is Keuka Lake. Excellent swimming in crystal clear, clean water. If you stayed in or around Hammondsport, you'd only be a half hour from the glass museum, and you'd be right near the swimming beach at the southern tip of the lake.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM

149 posts, read 301,568 times
I live in the area, and have a 3 year old. Quite honestly, with a 2 and 4 year old, I don't know if the Corning Glass Museum would be worth the cost of admission. We went with our daughter last summer, so she was about 2.5....barely made it through the hot glass show before she was bored and wanted to run. And in a museum full of glass.....well, you get the idea! Just walking through the gift shop made me cringe, since there was so much gorgeous and expensive stuff at way too tempting a height for her.

I'd recommend Ithaca, personally. The Sciencenter is awesome for kids! There are 2 state parks (Treman and Buttermilk Falls) with beach/swimming areas, lots of hiking trails, and a great pedestrian mall shopping area. The Ithaca Commons is lots of fun, neat shops and eateries. And quite frequently there are local weekend festivals - music, arts, one year we went to the Banana Festival.... LOL

Here is a link to the visitor's bureau - on the right side of the page are other links to some of the things I mentioned.
Ithaca, NY - Visitors

As far as hotels go, I know there are several chains in Ithaca. Beyond that, I'd have to check around a bit more, since I live about 45 minutes away I don't usually pay much attention to the hotels!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 AM

14 posts, read 30,712 times
I would recommend Watkins Glen. It is right on the lake, and the state park is very nice. I haven't been to Hammondsport, but have heard it is a very nice town.

If the Glass Museum wasn't on your agenda, I would recommend Skaneteales. Beautiful little town right on the lake.

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles

Old 04-19-2013, 02:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,157,075 times
Yeah - two routes would work out well - you can cut underneath or above the finger lakes ....... I know much more about the southern towns, but the area on the north is also very nice ..... in fact, I'm probably spending a night or two in skaneateles this summer

On the southern end I'd look into Ithaca, Watkins Glen, Hammondsport

Tough age for kids activities in the area though .... I love CMoG, but I will not be taking my 2 & 3 year old there this summer when I come home - they do have some good exhibits and some interactive stuff, but may not grip the attention at that age

Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport may be interesting though
Glenn H. Curtiss Aviation Museum - Aviation History / Naval Aviation / Early Aviation

While you could probably get in the water on the southern park of Keuka Lake, I would definitely recommend Keuka State Park on the northern end - not a bad beach for a lake, a bit larger and better organized

Keuka Lake State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Watkins Glen is very nice for a park - I'll also mention Stony Brook
Stony Brook State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Depending on how the water is moving, you could probably even swim in a couple of the stream fed pools with you kiddos - I know when there were budget issues a lot of the smaller parks like this one had some issues as far as staying open, i'd probably give a call before heading over though or committing to the area

If you end up on the other side over by Cayuga Lake then this park could be worth checking out as it also has a stream fed swimming pool (plus in Ithaca you can see a lot of other nice parks that may be more visuals) - it's a little over a half hour from Ithaca

Fillmore Glen State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York