Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM

25 posts, read 160,311 times

Advertisements

Hi! I just moved from out west to the Hudson Valley and I am having a really hard time finding affordable, good produce and meat near Highland/New Paltz. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have only been here a week or so so it's possible I missed something, but the grocery stores nearby are pretty steep.

I am totally open to farmers markets, pick-your-own, regular grocery stores - any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 04:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celinea View Post
Hi! I just moved from out west to the Hudson Valley and I am having a really hard time finding affordable, good produce and meat near Highland/New Paltz. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have only been here a week or so so it's possible I missed something, but the grocery stores nearby are pretty steep.

I am totally open to farmers markets, pick-your-own, regular grocery stores - any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!
there is a new aldi in poughkeepsie (http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/a...chess-shoppers). aldi is a discount supermarket chain owned by the same people who own trader joes (though this is much cheaper than trader joes). everything, like trader joes, is under the aldi private label. it is across the bridge, so you have to pay toll. it is 10-15 min drive from highland.

there is a hannaford in highland, but it is a little expensive. you could also look at associated foods, a popular low-cost nyc area chain. i've never been to this one before, it's in poughkeepsie. or, go to shoprite, generally a low cost chain. there is one in new paltz, and one in poughkeepsie town.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:02 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,821 times
Adam's Fairacre Farms

YELP

Locations in Poughkeepsie, Kingston, and more.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,189 times
I think sometimes the misconception that small scale farmers (god bless them) can compete with large factory farms, and somehow because there is a farmer "down-the-road" equals cheap food.

With fuel costs and the general overall high costs of producing local organic produce and meat you would think that paying perhaps a little more to support your local farmer would pay dividends by knowing where your food comes from.

No offense the to poster, but if you knew the time, blood, sweat and tears that go into food in general then supporting your neighbor, even if it costs a bit more, can do a lot towards a different way of looking at food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York