Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:19 PM

403 posts, read 771,165 times

Advertisements

Are there areas of the finger lakes that get milder winters than others? I love the area, but hubby doesn't want horrible snowfall and freezing cold. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 03:37 PM

93,283 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Are there areas of the finger lakes that get milder winters than others? I love the area, but hubby doesn't want horrible snowfall and freezing cold. Thanks!
I'd assume that south of Seneca Lake would be a good area to look due to being deep and less likely to freeze.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
There is a snowfall minimum in the Finger Lakes/Genesee Valley Region of NYS.

To further combat the snow threat, you could look in areas directly south or east of the Finger Lakes. Watkins Glen and Aurora come to mind.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
As shown in post #3 Corning/Elmira/Watkins Glen are in a bit of a snow shadow but only relative to the rest of upstate. Ithaca and Binghamton get less snow than Cortland which gets less than Syracuse. If the wind is coming from straight north then it's possible to get lake effect off the Finger Lakes themselves but that's relatively rare.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
what is mild?

what is horrible snowfall or freezing cold?

That can mean much different things to different people ...... the map does a good job at fairly portraying some of the snowfall differences .... make no doubt about it though, you'll still get a lot of snow and a fairly long winter anywhere in the state ..... there will be a couple of big storms a year, some really cold stretches and times when it's not all that bad as well ..... so much will be on your tolerance

The area does well in managing snowfall and depending on what type of property you own it can usually be pretty easy to get around (although there was a difference from my house out in the woods on a hillside and my grandmothers house in the actual village)

Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Honestly if you live anywhere in NY you are going to have hard winters.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM

403 posts, read 771,165 times
Right now, we are in northeastern PA and see our fair shares of bad winters. My husband wants to get away from it, but if we stayed the same, it probably wouldn't be unbearable...... I love the Watkin's Glen area in the spring, but that's the only time I've been there. I hear it gets pretty crazy during the summer with the races. Of the places with the best weather, which do you think would be best for finding jobs? I'm guessing the Ithaca area would offer the most opportunities?

Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM

93,283 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Right now, we are in northeastern PA and see our fair shares of bad winters. My husband wants to get away from it, but if we stayed the same, it probably wouldn't be unbearable...... I love the Watkin's Glen area in the spring, but that's the only time I've been there. I hear it gets pretty crazy during the summer with the races. Of the places with the best weather, which do you think would be best for finding jobs? I'm guessing the Ithaca area would offer the most opportunities?
I'd say Ithaca is the best bet and maybe Corning or Elmira(depending on the type of work you are looking for).

Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
yeah - CHK is probably right on the jobs front .... you could find some in pockets along the southern tier or some of the smaller cities around the lakes (you'll frequently find better weather towards the southern finger lakes)

my college roomate was from hazleton and the weather between there and the corning/watkins glen area isn't all that different .... depending your exact spot in NEPA you wouldn't be getting away from the weather, but it wouldn't be worlds worse either

I wouldn't worry about race week in Watkins Glen .... it's crazy, but it's a week

Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
In general, south of the Thruway and west of Syracuse there's less snow. But what's freezing cold and a lot of snow to you? Does it get to zero here? Yes, occasionally it does. Does it last for days or weeks? Not normally. But winter is different every year.

There are many microclimates here in the FLX. I live in an area with one. The City of Geneva can get snow or rain and I won't get a drop. The city border is less than a half mile away.

Being on the western side of a lake can also make a huge difference. I watch the weather go over me and slam the east side.

Where I am, we don't get many storms. Last winter we had two storms that left us with 6"-8" of snow. The majority of our snowfall fell overnight. Many mornings we'd wake up to a half an inch to an inch of snow. Most of it would evaporate by the late afternoon. Frequently it didn't stick to the roads. Now this is not what the snowfall is like throughout the FLX, but in my neck of the woods it is.

If you don't want snow and cold in the winter, then the FLX isn't for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York