U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 PM

2,766 posts, read 2,545,423 times

Advertisements

I don't have any land in the Catskills yet but I heard that there are laws governing such a scenario.

Does anyone know what happens in such a case?

Also, what if you already have a house up?

I don't mind complying with the law, I just would like to know what are the rules.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 AM

Btw, I checked but couldn't find anything online about this. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:00 AM

76 posts, read 119,340 times
Just don't bother the eagles.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conteacher View Post
Just don't bother the eagles.
That's easy. I have no intention of bothering any animals. I'm not one of those people who don't care about ecological balance. I was under the impression that if an eagle built a nest on your property the state could effectively confiscate your property. But I guess that was exaggerated or mindless fear mongering. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM

1,697 posts, read 4,004,586 times
I'd recommend contacting the New York State DEC with your question. Here is some information on their Bald Eagle monitoring and management program: DEC Bald Eagle Program - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation and here is their contact info: Contact Us - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

There really are lots of eagles in the Catskills! It's awesome to have the opportunity to watch them.

I'm sure it could be a tricky situation if you're building on a lot that has an existing nest.. however if you already had a house and an eagle pair decided to set up a home on your property I can't see the state getting too involved except maybe to band the eaglet fledglings, and of course you would not be permitted to disturb the nest.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I'd recommend contacting the New York State DEC with your question. Here is some information on their Bald Eagle monitoring and management program: DEC Bald Eagle Program - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation and here is their contact info: Contact Us - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

There really are lots of eagles in the Catskills! It's awesome to have the opportunity to watch them.

I'm sure it could be a tricky situation if you're building on a lot that has an existing nest.. however if you already had a house and an eagle pair decided to set up a home on your property I can't see the state getting too involved except maybe to band the eaglet fledglings, and of course you would not be permitted to disturb the nest.

I imagine that even if an eagle does build a nest on your property, they wouldn't occupy it for more than one or two seasons any way. That actually is not a big time frame for the pace at which my life moves lately. I might just sleep in the trees with them.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 AM

13,949 posts, read 12,912,085 times
Bald and Golden Eagles are federally protected. The state doesn't control this. Pretty much touching a bird, egg, or nest is a federal offense with a HUGE penalty. The laws apply to live and deceased birds as well.

Federal Laws to Protect Bald Eagles

The Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act

16 USC § 668 - Bald and golden eagles | Title 16 - Conservation | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,367,468 times
So you'll be fine.Just like any bird that buiklds a next on your land, no need to bother them like you say. Fear-mongering by paranoid ignoramuses I guess.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
So you'll be fine.Just like any bird that buiklds a next on your land, no need to bother them like you say. Fear-mongering by paranoid ignoramuses I guess.
I knew it was malarkey. I heard it from the strangest place anyway. I was watching an episode of American Greed, the one where that guy Philip something or other from Brooklyn got caught in a pyramid investment scheme. It was a small side remark. At one point he said he had land in the Catskills that had been effectively taken away from him because eagles had built a nest on his property.

Maybe that was the rule back then? I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York