Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 AM

35 posts, read 65,411 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice from those who may have the knowledge having lived and worked in these areas. I am originally from Brooklyn, and am now living in Buffalo, where I came for college and stayed for law school. I've been here for six years now, got engaged, and am planning a wedding for a few years down the road, which will be help up here in the Buffalo area. With me in the legal field, soon to graduate, and my fiancee in counseling and nursing, we are considering where we will settle down. My fiancee is originally from Binghamton, but we met in Buffalo during college. We reside in the small suburb of Kenmore, which is just north of the Buffalo City line.

My fiancee has been down to Brooklyn with me many times and she likes it. I grew up in Sheepshead Bay and went to school in Bay Ridge. Though, she and I both agree that wherever we go, we would like a mix of residential houses that have parking and a yard of some sort, and be walkable. I realize that in terms of NYC this is really a difficult request, which in all likelihood would have us consider Queens or Staten Island, or Long Island, which has much higher property taxes. I know very little, next to nothing, about any of those areas as I've lived in Brooklyn my whole life up until I left for Buffalo.

Alternatively, we could stay in the Buffalo area, but neither of us would really like to. A friend from Rochester (Greece to be specific) suggested I look into the Rochester area (Brighton, Greece, or in the Park Avenue and East Avenue neighborhoods, which are trendy and more city-like).

Ultimately, we want a suburb feel with easy access to a metropolitan. We know about the Elmwood Village and Hertel Avenue in Buffalo, but those don't do it for us. I've seen Park Avenue in Rochester and it is nice, but I am not sure how many families live there. It may be more college students. I hear property taxes there are pretty high - - high enough to be comparable with the $8,000 median on Long Island.

So what to do? Both of us have professions that we should be able to break into all the markets we've considered (Buffalo, Rochester, NYC area). We will work in Buffalo for a few years, so we will have translatable experience wherever we go. The issue is where can be get the biggest bang for our buck for having a family, be in a safe area that is walkable to a metropolitan and stores (we both drive, however), but still feel suburb-like, and be able to have access to activities (museums, beaches, malls, etc.) and nightlife. Part of me would like Long Island because of the access to NYC, but the ability to escape the hustle and bustle and slow down just a bit at home. But, we are torn since we've been up here for six years and plan to be for several more. Our concern is that being up here so long, building connections and such, that we may have a more difficult time transitioning somewhere new, particularly downstate - - more of a concern of my fiancee's than mine.

Any thoughts would be helpful, particularly from people who not only live in any of these areas, but preferably from people who have moved from NYC to WNY or vice versa.

Much appreciated,

Henry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Look into the 12 Corners area of Brighton. It is a nice, walkable and has good schools. It is also close to the Southeastern Quarter of Rochester, which includes Park Ave, Monroe Village/Ave, SouthWedge and Swillburg among others. Highland Park(aka Ellwanger-Barry), Upper Mount Hope and Upper Monroe/Cobbs Hill are more family friendly areas of the Southeastern Quarter. Fairport and Pittsford may be options too.

With the Buffalo area, you can get your fix in Toronto, if you want a more cosmopolitan city/area. So, you could stay in Buffalo and take a weekend trip to a world class city a couple of hours away.

Also, what about Albany? It is only a couple of hours from NYC and Boston. It also has enough to do. Delmar may be a suburb that you may like or Niskayuna near Schenectady's Upper Union neighborhood could as well. Saratoga Springs is another place to think about.

One last thing, take a trip to Ithaca, as it may offer everything you are looking for.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks very much! Truth is, I really love NYC. While there are plenty of metros that are nice, there is nothing like NY to me as a native New Yorker. I just haven't found something I like enough to stay long-term. I will certainly look around. You've made some great suggestions!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:06 PM

14 posts, read 24,455 times
Hi my name is Carmela Hagan and I am a licensed Real Estate Sales Person with Compass Realty Central. I grew up in Brooklyn and then my husband and I bought our first home out on Long Island in the the town of Babylon. My taxes back in 1995 were 7000.00 so my husband and I up rooted and moved to Tottenville Staten Island. I personally can say that Long Ilsand is beautiful and if you can afford the taxes that it great. Staten Iland is also a great place to live. Many great neighbors, with night life and very family orientated. I can honestly say its a great place to raise a family. In addition the ferry and bus make an easy commute into Manhattan. If you need any assistance in locating a property either on Staten Island or Long Island Please feel free to give me a call (718)564-0318. My family and I will be visiting Buffalo this week because my daughter is intested in going to college there. She wants to play Lacrosse and study nutrician. Good Luck!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM

Carmela,

Thank you for the response. I will private message you!

Best,

Henry

Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 AM

517 posts, read 678,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth878 View Post
Though, she and I both agree that wherever we go, we would like a mix of residential houses that have parking and a yard of some sort, and be walkable. I realize that in terms of NYC this is really a difficult request,
No offense, but why is this a difficult request? You just described most of Queens and Staten Island, and big chunks of Brooklyn and the Bronx (not to mention huge parts of Long Island, NJ, Westchester, etc.).

There probably isn't another place in the U.S. with as many walkable single family home neighborhoods.

Granted, someplace like Bay Ridge or Sheepshead Bay is probably too urban for you guys, but what about places like Howard Beach, Bergen Beach, Bayside, Little Neck, Glen Oaks, Bellerose, Hollis Hills, Fresh Meadows, etc.?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 AM

Thanks for sharing those places. Frankly, if we could afford a house in Bay Ridge, I'd love to live there! I love the Bay, having lived there my whole life before leaving for school, but Bay Ridge would be my top choice in Brooklyn.

Property in the boroughs to fit our desires is expensive (property anywhere down there is expensive), which is why I said it was a difficult request. Finding a house in NYC with a driveway, yard, and bigger than 2500 sq. ft. may not be possible without shelling out $1M. That's the primary reason for looking to LI, but we know taxes are hefty there. That said, alternatively we are looking into Queens and SI, but I don't know much about those boroughs living in Brooklyn my whole life.

You gave some great options, though! We do have some time before we transition down there as we each have a year of school left. Our distance from NYC requires us to look remotely since we aren't close enough to survey properties. All these comments do certainly help!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Look into the 12 Corners area of Brighton. It is a nice, walkable and has good schools. It is also close to the Southeastern Quarter of Rochester, which includes Park Ave, Monroe Village/Ave, SouthWedge and Swillburg among others. Highland Park(aka Ellwanger-Barry), Upper Mount Hope and Upper Monroe/Cobbs Hill are more family friendly areas of the Southeastern Quarter. Fairport and Pittsford may be options too.

With the Buffalo area, you can get your fix in Toronto, if you want a more cosmopolitan city/area. So, you could stay in Buffalo and take a weekend trip to a world class city a couple of hours away.

Also, what about Albany? It is only a couple of hours from NYC and Boston. It also has enough to do. Delmar may be a suburb that you may like or Niskayuna near Schenectady's Upper Union neighborhood could as well. Saratoga Springs is another place to think about.

One last thing, take a trip to Ithaca, as it may offer everything you are looking for.
CK you are always so helpful and your knowledge of upstate NY is quite impressive! When Im ready for my vacation/retirement home upstate I think you may be one of the first people I ask advice from!!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
CK you are always so helpful and your knowledge of upstate NY is quite impressive! When Im ready for my vacation/retirement home upstate I think you may be one of the first people I ask advice from!!
No problem and just let me know. I think this website brings out my inner savant in regards to Upstate NY.

stealth, I was just looking at the demographics of Sheepshead Bay and from what I've seen, Brighton has similar demographics. Brighton is known for its Jewish population and has an above average Asian population with some Black and Hispanic residents too. So, it has some walkability, cultural demographics similar to what you are use to and one of the best school districts in Upstate NY, while being close to some nightlife in Rochester.

Ithaca has similar demographics as well and has a cosmopolitan feel too. Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

The Future of Downtown Ithaca - YouTube

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-29-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM

541 posts, read 912,438 times
Buffalo or LI? Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York