Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:46 PM

18 posts, read 48,518 times

Advertisements

Thanks Grifforama for your personal experience. Rhineback has always been my#1 choice since we started talking HV...Red Hook as well is high on the list. I just recently read on Hudson so we decided to check it out as well...we almost decided on Rhinebeck as my husband was looking into a job opportunity with HSBC in Albany but it didnt pan out. But we are still moving forward witthe h move! will visit again mid August, this time for a whole entire weekend!

Thanks Linda for that info, I think the DH will keep trying with HSBC in Albany so this is great information.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:30 PM

18 posts, read 48,518 times
Default Update on HV visit/plan

Finally made it to Hudson NY!! I was somewhat disappointed. The center of town has cute shops/galleries/restaurants mixed with boarded up spaces that are hopefully being restored. Lots of potential but not there yet. 2 or 3 blocks off the main street the housesare in bad shape, but 2 or 3 blocks the other way they are beautiful and well maintained….I hate that! Interesting fact is that we say a building named Etsy (same font of Etsy logo and all) peeked inthe window –building was closed- and did see ‘crafty things’ I wonder if this is their headquarter…that would be so cool. This town looked just a little better than Beacon but to me Beacon has a much better main street, better taken care of it seems.

Great place to eat Breakfast/lunch – from farm to table- is Grazin – only serves breakfast on the weekend…all organic and you can taste the freshness!

Tivoli – was a cute village If it was up to me I would move there in ajiffy. But we have the commute to consider, I really think is longer than what everyone is saying…definitely want to go back and check out the real estate here.

Red Hook/Poet’s Walk- didn’t have to see the center of Red Hook but I didn’t want to miss Poet’s Walk and take a break from driving all day long! how lovely! I wishI could have a house to wake up to that view! And the little guy loved listening to the birds and picking up fuzzy caterpillars we found along the way…Magnificent, will visit again.

Rhinebeck – Ideal! It was busy on a Saturday. The downtown is well take care of. The houses near downtown are all so beautiful and withcharacter. There is an apartment complexthat is walkable to town and looks very well kept. Ate at Matchbox- the owner Sam was so welcoming, definitely has his sales pitch spot on! He will tell you he’s seen you before then go on talking about his bakery in NY blah blah blah, very entertaining… but the food was great, his red velvet is supposedly Oprah’s favorite we were tempted to try it but Hubby has bad memories of red velvet sowent for a choco-chip cookie sandwich with choco in the middle and dipped in choco YUMMERS! Soup was great and hubs had a Hot dog, onion rings and thelittle guy had handmade potato chips and mac n cheese- very good food indeed! Tasted fresh. Sam raved about the ‘only coffeehe seels at his shop’ not that great, Bustelo kicks its butt anytime ( from a espresso hard core coffee drinker’s view). Again, would really love to get an honest opinion on the commute, it just seems like it would he horrendous to do even if its 10x a month. But definitely a beautiful charming town, well maintain will be researching on real estate.

Stayed in an Inn called Le Chambord in Hopewell Junction- DON’T STAY THERE! Superold and run down, free breakfast was cold meat/cheese cereal and ‘fressh’(frozen and rebaked) breads..Not worth it unless you are desperate like we were for just a one night stay. Staff was friendly though.

Newburgh (city vs. Town)- City of Newburgh – SCARY!!! How sad it has the best views of the rivers I have seen on our trip. I wouldnever ever think about moving here. My friend lives about 10 min away in the Town of Newburgh by a golf course, it isday and night but the ugly part is too close to comfort, plus I have to think of the schools/opportunities there will be for my little guy. Wanted to visit the Brewery though but it opened at 12 and we were there early in theam. Went to an apple picking farm, what a fun time we had. But the city of Newburgh really scared the hibijibies out of us. If we had cash money available would deftinely take advantage of the restoration going on and purchase a few brownstones and restore but cant do that right now, we are trying to get the heck out of NJ!

Washingtonville – didn’t see much but went to the Brotherhood winery for wine tasting, great stuff!! But its commercialize, I like my small family ownedno gimmick wineries not your mass produced science project wine J but got me some none the less, the Port (18%alchohol!!) and a Riesling that is supposed to be the ONLY American wine at theWhite House. Not bad at all.

Nyack – I didn’t have this on the list but the hubs suggested we check itout. The houses look very nice, thedowntown was very lively – a little more busy than Rhinebeck and for my taste. And you can sense the NY rush/fast paceattitude in people. But might look into this place more because the commute to thecity might be better for the hubs. Anyone has suggestions, please send my way. Maybe they have farm areas we can see, willdo more research on this one.

Oh we also visited Bronxville, beautiful place but a bit snobbish for my tasteI think. If I had 5 million dollars I would buy a house on ‘top of the hill’. We got lost there and that’s where the 0.05% lives There were are no visible street names to the narrow 1 way 1 car streets so only the secluded and privilege that lives there knows how to get around.

That’s it for now, will keep you updated – thinking we should look intoWestchester more, any suggestions?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,595 times
Rhinebeck -> NYC 1x/wk or less would be doable. I'd hesitate to commit to more than that. It is a solid 2 hours either driving or on Amtrak from Rhinecliff.

The trip from Red Hook or Tivoli will be similar, 10-15 min longer depending on location.

There is very limited traffic on local roads in northern Dutchess County during the week. 9 is a little clogged during rush hour but not bad. Weekend is a different story.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 AM

17 posts, read 33,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primumver View Post
SS20ts..I HATE IT HERE!!! lol you totally understand us then..and we are originally from NYC but lived in NC for almost 12 yrs and I miss the southern hospitality and the green I know 1 hr is not enough but we have sooooo many little towns on the list, we want to scope out the areas so that when we see a town we like we can spend more time there. Plus we have been researching the towns local websites and you kinda get a feeling of the vibe of the town. We need to decide by November because our lease is up then and I really dont want to spend another year here..I will die! We are looking for an "Asheville-ish" town but close to NYC so that the DH can commute and we can hang out on the weekends also...so any suggestions you have seen would be appreciated

You hated Asheville,NC? Why?

Old 11-02-2014, 07:00 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,046 times
Quote:
Newburgh (city vs. Town)- City of Newburgh – SCARY!!! How sad it has the best views of the rivers I have seen on our trip. I wouldnever ever think about moving here. My friend lives about 10 min away in the Town of Newburgh by a golf course, it isday and night but the ugly part is too close to comfort, plus I have to think of the schools/opportunities there will be for my little guy. Wanted to visit the Brewery though but it opened at 12 and we were there early in theam. Went to an apple picking farm, what a fun time we had. But the city of Newburgh really scared the hibijibies out of us. If we had cash money available would deftinely take advantage of the restoration going on and purchase a few brownstones and restore but cant do that right now, we are trying to get the heck out of NJ!
OP,

I lived for more than 15 years in Balmville (at one point, right on the Powelton Club golf course), and a short time in the "ugly" (your word) historic district of City of Newburgh, restored several of the city's historic buildings during my 20 years in the area (BTW, they aren't brownstones), and sent two kids to school in the enlarged school system. No one in the town or specifically Balmville should have concern about proximity to the city; This is in fact a non-issue. Life in the Town of Newburgh is pretty good.
Having concerns about the school system is legitimate, however. It is a very poorly managed school district, and getting a kid educated within it is frustrating beyond belief.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 11-02-2014 at 08:30 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,494 times
It seems that the OP is a bit racist, based on her comments about the City of Newburgh. Hmmm...seems it's ok to eat your tofu and sing hippie songs as long as " those people" are far away from you. Typical elitist mentality.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,046 times
The comment reads to me more as clueless Generation X with a dash of hipster thrown in.
Not exactly Rhinebeck's demographic. Lol.
And there's a term for people who float in and buy and "restore" a few of those *brownstones* while living elsewhere.. It's called absentee landlord. This accounts for much of the problem existing in the City of Newburgh since urban renewal displaced residents and destroyed the city decades ago.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 11-03-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York