Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 09:34 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times

Advertisements

Please tell me that this is unusual for snow this early in Upstate NY?
I wanted to drive up and see Rochester and the peak of the Fall foliage and what's up with the snow?

I am about 80% sold on Rochester as far as relocating, the only thing I'm wondering about is the weather. I don't mind driving in it, I just don't feel like shoveling my driveway and steps all the time.

Can someone please tell it like it really is?

Regards, Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 01:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Well, amazingly enough, Rochester didn't get any snow from thsi system. Buffalo is only 60 miles away and got hammered with 2 feet, meanwhile it was sunny and in the 50's in Rochester today. Rochester doesn't get nearly the lake effect that Buffalo does. Rochester is on lake Ontario, but it's on the southern shore of it; whereas Buffalo's Western edge is all Lake Erie shorline, in a direct-hit zone. If the wind blows from the west towards Buffalo, and the lake is warmer than the cold air, they get lake effect snow. You can definitely see the fall foliage in Rochester, and in fact it's probably at it's peak right now. No snow on the ground there. But if you go just a little west (wel, you can't because I-90 west of Rochester is closed), you'll find yourself knee deep in the stuff. Lake Effect snow..... it's sneaky stuff.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:00 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
After a rainy summer, fall hasn't been much better. Definitely, not a normal Fall in Upstate NY. Normal highs are in the low 60s today, but we've been only getting low 50s as of late. September seemed more like October and October is turning out to be more like November. Where is global warming?

Old 10-13-2006, 03:19 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
NYTom, snow in WNY in not common, but not unheard of in Oct/Nov and Mar/Apr. The last big Rochester ice storm happened in early April. Yes, April! Google "ice storm rochester 2003."

This is the one drawback for the area. It can be gray, cold, and snowy for quite a while. Just find 1 or 2 ways to enjoy the change and you'll be fine. I still would like to return to the area despite this. Maybe I'll change my name to "Snowy" then.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:57 PM

76 posts, read 399,925 times
I lived in Buffalo for 23 years and I never experienced a snow storm like this in Oct. I did go trick or treating a few times with snow flurries but that wasn't too bad. It was a freak storm so early imo.

My best friend lives in Rochester and they as someone else said dont get the lake effect like Buffalo does.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,266 times
What does this say about the kind of winter NY is headed for? Does anyone have a farmers almanac?

Old 10-13-2006, 09:20 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
It makes no difference when the first snow is really. One year we had snow in late Sept but then nothing for three months. Another I remember we had no snow till Dec, but then we got absolutely hammered for the rest of the winter through March.

Rochester is snowy Tom. Don't hide from the snow like so many others. People I know from Syracuse all say the same thing - to get outdoors and do stuff in winter so you don't get depressed.

And to get a snowblower and some rock salt.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:38 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
My parents tell me that in Central NY, there was snow as early as before Halloween some years, but I can't remember it. It's a shame for all the leaf-peekers who come in droves to see the foliage. Fall is supposed to be the best time of year for Upstate.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:34 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
It is peak fall foliage season, the rest of Upstate is still deep with the fall colors, this was only a Buffalo thing. I would say this week would be the best time to see the foliage, but in another 2 weeks, the trees will be going bare fast.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:52 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,439 times
I think what it is is for whatever reason when Buffalo gets hit its more likely to cause problems. HEnse the national news coverage every year.. but Buffalo actually does get as much snow as Rochester and Syracuse.

As far as I know, technically speaking.. Buffalo is #3 in NYS for snow
Rochester is typically #2 (Syracuse typically being the snowiest)

I dunno about Rocester specifically, but for Oswego -> Syracuse lake effect snows coming off Lake Ontario is WORSE becuase it can go on longer, sometimes even all winter. (main cause Lake Erie tends to freeze sooner since its more shallow)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York