U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 PM

27 posts, read 129,812 times

Advertisements

For anyone who is familiar with the general area- how do you feel about Beacon as I am considering this area and was told that it's a trendy up and coming area (as compared to the 5 boroughs). It reminds me of Park Slope Brooklyn which is now a beautiful overpriced that was once deemed undesirable and now filled with former Manhattanites. Growing up in Queens I would like a diverse area that is not extremely suburban. Would you recommend Beacon? It is a great area to commute to Manhattan for work- slightly over an hour. I would appreciate any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 09:48 AM

280 posts, read 1,161,772 times
Thumbs up I was born in Beacon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyh001 View Post
For anyone who is familiar with the general area- how do you feel about Beacon as I am considering this area and was told that it's a trendy up and coming area (as compared to the 5 boroughs). It reminds me of Park Slope Brooklyn which is now a beautiful overpriced that was once deemed undesirable and now filled with former Manhattanites. Growing up in Queens I would like a diverse area that is not extremely suburban. Would you recommend Beacon? It is a great area to commute to Manhattan for work- slightly over an hour. I would appreciate any info.
I'm sure someone will bring up crime (I have seen it before), but its not worse then any other town in my opinion. Its my hometown so I love it, it has alot of heart! Its right along the Hudson River & Mt. Beacon & next to the train station, Rt. 84, Fishkill, Wappingers Falls, Poughkeepsie, Hyde Park, Cold Spring. Its a small town, on St. Patricks day the whole town does a pub crawl down Main Street alot of fun. I love being from the Hudson Valley its a beautiful, beautiful area. Go for it!!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:47 PM

7 posts, read 35,418 times
Default Beacon

Quote:
I have to agree with Sue...Beacon has cleaned up alot although you do have your "not so nice" areas like anywhere. People do like the convenience of the train station if they work in the "city".....At this time I'm not sure of the "cost" to live in Beacon, but as anywhere, it depends on what your looking for.....Good Luck

Old 11-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Thanks, being that it is your home town can you tell me if the Streets right off of main are OK. I actually saw a house that I love and it is 2 blocks from Main street close to the Yankee Diner. Also are there any lounges in the area for night life and how far away is the movie theater?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 AM

Smile Good for you....

Quote:
Thanks, being that it is your home town can you tell me if the Streets right off of main are OK. I actually saw a house that I love and it is 2 blocks from Main street close to the Yankee Diner. Also are there any lounges in the area for night life and how far away is the movie theater?
Im pretty sure the Yankee Diner if its the one near the corner of Main Street & Rt 52 thats a good area. The part of Main St. down near the train station is the area people will probably say is iffy. Glenham, Fishkill & Wappingers, Cold Spring, LaGrange are also good areas - they are all so close to eachother. The movie theater is in the South Hills Mall, Wappingers, on Rt 9 & in the Poughkeepsie Gallera, Poughkeepsie, Rt 9 - they are right next to eachother & 10 minute ride from Beacon. Not sure about the lounges on Main Street anymore, but Fishkill has a bunch on Rt 52 (The Hub, The Barking Frog, White House, etc.) & Rt 9 does (couple minutes up the road). actually most of the bars in the area have the Midnight Express which will bring you home for free, just give him a tip. Hope I helped, somethings wrong with my computer at home thats why it took me so long to get back to you. Let me know what else you would like to know. Good Luck with your house hunting & your move!!

Last edited by sue64; 11-12-2007 at 09:15 AM..

Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 AM

348 posts, read 1,307,387 times
Quote:
I also grew up in Beacon, my mom still lives there.
The area around the center of main street (Main & 52(teller ave)) is nice. You don't want to be too close to the end towards the river even if the police station is there.
It has changed A LOT since I was a child (70's & 80's). School taxes are HIGH. I have a friend that has a little under 1/2 acre with a 1700 sf ranch and pays almost $6000.

It is a convenient location. Close to the city, Jersey shore for the ocean not too far and then up to the mountains also close.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 11,325 times
Default also looking

I've also considered looking in Beacon , either for a house or land.
Any recommended Realtors?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Not sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretanne View Post
I've also considered looking in Beacon , either for a house or land.
Any recommended Realtors?
Can't help you there, I don't know anyone personally that I could recommed. But you could look in the Yorktown PennySaver Classified Online Ads for Westchester & the Hudson Valley, NY, they list houses, apartments, jobs, everything.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:04 AM

Great info- Thanks Sue for the details on night life. I will surely have to get used to being a suburbanite and need as many vices as possible.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 52,081 times
Hi Nicky h001,

I know this message may be a bit too late but I just wanted let you know if you read this that my husband and I actually just bought a house in Beacon, NY .. We are on Liberty street which a bike ride away from the east side of Main street ( the neighborhood is nice and quite and so far the nieghbors seem friendly...Ranch 4 bedroom , 2.5 baths ...renovated full basement (the whole house has been renovated ).... great back yard with awesome wood swing set for the kids AND a creek in the back with a view of the mountains in the front.. We paid $350k and the taxes are $5000 but will be reduced with the STAR program, we will also be looking to get the taxes reassesed. We have lived all our life in Queens as well and we were scared of moving upstate but i think we did the right thing for our growing family. As far as night life, Fishkill is alot more developed and offers restaurants with bars as well as movie theatre and Sue is right .. Wappingers, Fishkill, Beacon and Poughkeepsie are short car rides away .. not even 10 minutes away. And the best thing ...NO traffic trying to get to places in the weekends. But its still winter, we'll see how summer traffic is. Bye and thanks for letting ramble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>