Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,657 times

Advertisements

I'll second and third the other posters that Long Island isn't a good choice. Despite that it's a suburb of NYC, it's not socially progressive. I visit there often because I have family and friends down there, and feel that many people there are living in some 1950s time warp. In addition, Long Island is very congested and the housing prices are extremely high for what you get.

You may be happy in the Albany area. Much more tolerant, integrated, and socially accepting than Long Island. Lots of good outdoor recreation during the warmer months. People do say the economy is weak in Albany but there are several STEM industries in the region so you probably will have a better chance than most people at finding jobs with your background and skills.

Like other posters mentioned, I'd check out Ithaca and parts of Massachusetts as well.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 07-23-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM

187 posts, read 347,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Forgive me if this seems redundant, I'm half asleep.

As far as culture and politics, you'll definitely feel more at home in or near the southern tier being from the south. It's in the Appalachian foothills and some of that Appy culture does influence the area. It's rural, it's friendly, and it has great local food! It can tend to be more religious and moderate to conservative politically and belief-wise. There are tons of churches in the towns, including baptist if that is your speed.

It's also warmer than the Ontario plains and north country by far. Maine is definitely much colder by weather.

And finally, a fun fact. Especially around Watkins Glen a lot of people from Mississippi and Louisiana have settled there in recent years. So they have been bringing even more southern flavor to the hill country of NY.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I need to better explain why I want to leave the south. Lol! I love the scenery here, so your recommendation about the Appalachian foothills is great! However, I am not religious, at all. So, if the people there are anything like the people here, I would like to steer clear of that.

Are southerners taking over up there????

I would like to be around a more liberal population of people. I don't mind the culture of conservatism (like sports, hunting, fishing, etc...) but I do mind the politics. I would like to be around a population that has more socially liberal people.

I will put it this way, if I could keep the scenery here, and trade the people, I would. Lol!

I didn't list my criteria though, so thanks for being helpful.

I will list my criteria here, and hopefully that will help.

I know that there will always be exceptions to the rule, but if I could I would like to find an area that most closely fits the following:

-LGBT friendly
-Socially liberal
-Can be close to the city, just not IN the city
-Needs to have acreage available for sale
-Mountains
-Rivers, lakes, streams
-Not oppressive regarding religion (you do your thing, I will do mine. You won't give me dirty looks because I am heading to the mountains rather than church on Sunday).

I do love to look at old churches and old graveyards, though. That's the historian in me.

Oh! Which reminds me:

-A lot of history and historical buildings to explore.

Not too much to ask for, right???

Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
Hmmmmm. Maybe I need to better explain why I want to leave the south. Lol! I love the scenery here, so your recommendation about the Appalachian foothills is great! However, I am not religious, at all. So, if the people there are anything like the people here, I would like to steer clear of that.

I would like to be around a more liberal population of people. I don't mind the culture of conservatism (like sports, hunting, fishing, etc...) but I do mind the politics. I would like to be around a population that has more socially liberal people.

I will put it this way, if I could keep the scenery here, and trade the people, I would. Lol!

I know that there will always be exceptions to the rule, but if I could I would like to find an area that most closely fits the following:

-LGBT friendly
-Socially liberal
-Mountains
-Rivers, lakes, streams
-Not oppressive regarding religion (you do your thing, I will do mine. You won't give me dirty looks because I am heading to the mountains rather than church on Sunday).

I do love to look at old churches and old graveyards, though. That's the historian in me.

Oh! Which reminds me:

You'll be fine, as people are live and let live up here. Given your criteria, you have quite a few options. So, it seems like it is just a matter of key aspects falling in line.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You'll be fine, as people are live and let live up here. Given your criteria, you have quite a few options. So, it seems like it is just a matter of key aspects falling in line.
Great!!! Thank you!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM

I'm thinking Albany, Buffalo, or Syracuse areas.

Opinions?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking Albany, Buffalo, or Syracuse areas.

Opinions?
Well, Albany is a little more expensive than the other 2, but it has a higher educational attainment than both areas. Albany may be closer to mountains than the other 2, but Syracuse isn't too far from mountains as well. Albany is one of the oldest cities in the US, but each have quite a bit of history. Buffalo is the best of the 3 in terms of urban offerings. Buffalo and Albany are within closer driving distance of world class cities. Syracuse is centrally located and is still within a reasonable drive of world class cities and outdoor options. With all of this said, I wouldn't rule out Rochester or Ithaca, as they have qualities that fit your criteria. I'll try to post some potential properties that may fit what you are looking for.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Dunkirk might suit you. It's right on Lake Erie, but it's about 40-50 minutes minutes by interstate to either Buffalo or Erie, PA. The college town of Fredonia (Fredonia State) is next door. About 10 miles south of Dunkirk, the hills start, and you're in areas that are much like the hill and valley terrain of East Tennessee. You can easily find a decent house on acreage near Dunkirk for < $150,000.

You might also like Jamestown which is about 30 miles south of Dunkirk. It's a little further out of the way than Dunkirk, and isn't dominated by a big college as Dunkirk/Fredonia is but it does have Jamestown CC and Jamestown Business Institute. It's a little colder in the winter. It's also got lots of hills and is about an hour away from Ellicottville, which is the big time ski area in the Southern Tier, and Peak n Peak, another ski area, is only about a half hour away. Cheap real estate, too.

In fact, the only truly pricey real estate in Chautauqua County is along the Lake Erie and Chautauqua Lake shorelines and in the Chautauqua Institute. Most of the rest of it, whatever you pay here, you'd probably pay twice that or more in other parts of the country. Even the lakeside homes are "cheap" compared to other places which is why so many wealthy people from out-of-state buy here -- despite the constant moan of locals about property taxes.

Most Upstate New Yorkers are pretty tolerant. The conservatives tend towards libertarianism, and the social conservatives don't hold a lot of sway although they sometimes make a lot of noise in the local media in the usual places like talk radio and in the letters to the editor in some local newspapers.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Oh yeah!!! ...and before I forget! I would like to live near some culture, as well. At least within an hours drive or so. I'm thinking food meccas, primarily. I haven't been able to experience very much cuisine outside of southern cooking and Mexican.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, Albany is a little more expensive than the other 2, but it has a higher educational attainment than both areas. Albany may be closer to mountains than the other 2, but Syracuse isn't too far from mountains as well. Albany is one of the oldest cities in the US, but each have quite a bit of history. Buffalo is the best of the 3 in terms of urban offerings. Buffalo and Albany are within closer driving distance of world class cities. Syracuse is centrally located and is still within a reasonable drive of world class cities and outdoor options. With all of this said, I wouldn't rule out Rochester or Ithaca, as they have qualities that fit your criteria. I'll try to post some potential properties that may fit what you are looking for.
Here are some properties that you may consider: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Audrey Edelman Realty USA - Welcome to Ithaca!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:

-LGBT friendly
-Socially liberal
-Mountains
-Rivers, lakes, streams

Oh! Which reminds me:

After reading this, I now would suggest southern Maine for you, Portland in particular. It meets every one of your criteria, moreso that anywhere Upstate that I can think of. Portland is Maine's biggest city but is really more of a large town. Acreage in Maine can be found west of Portland a bit, but that's also where the mtns begin, and just a few towns west of Portland is very rural. I camped just west of Portland during November, maybe 15 miles away, and had complete solitude on the road and in the woods.

If you like the scenery in TN, you'd love the scenery there, because not only is it green and mountainy like beautiful eastern TN, you also got the rugged coast. The last thing I'll say too, coming from the South and not being used to cold and snow, southern Maine coast could be more sunny and less snowy than other inland Upstate areas.

It also really has many old churches and history, few if any will care about your religion, and is a progressive, gay friendly state. Your question about Southerners being up here, is no, there are not very many Southerners living in the Northeast. Hearing a Southern accent will arouse curiosity in most of the Northeast, but its a generally friendly inquiry if someone asks, and I'd consider it an easy ice breaker rather than an intrusion.

You may find some places Upstate as well, but just be careful Upstate. Its very hit and miss in certain areas, and many of the cities are block by block on what is nice and what is run down. Maine is generally nice almost everywhere. Suburbs are generally really nice though, Upstate. Also, NY is in a deeper fiscal crisis than any other state in the US. I don't know how that will play out, but just something to be aware of. That said, with a good, stable job and average income, you can live quite well in many areas of Upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York