Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 PM

187 posts, read 345,631 times

Advertisements

I will check out Homer, as well. That sounds funny. "Check out Homer". DOH!!!

Those are great links, CKH! That gives me a lot of options. That's one of the things we were liking so much about NY compared to other NE places. There seems to be more job opportunities for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 PM

I also have to add, while I've been researching, following links from y'all, and digging I am really liking the looks of the Lake coasts - Erie and Ontario. It would be nice to be that close to the water. From the pictures I've seen, the lakes look to be more accessible than the Atlantic coast (referring to sandy beaches vs rugged coast). Would I be correct in assuming that?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

The pluses to Massachusetts and Maine is that they are doing much fiscally better than NYS. So, long term, that could be something to consider. It makes for a tough decision!
Extremely tough.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:05 PM

92,036 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
I also have to add, while I've been researching, following links from y'all, and digging I am really liking the looks of the Lake coasts - Erie and Ontario. It would be nice to be that close to the water. From the pictures I've seen, the lakes look to be more accessible than the Atlantic coast (referring to sandy beaches vs rugged coast). Would I be correct in assuming that?
There are sandy beaches on Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. So, you don't have to go to the Atlantic Ocean in order to go to a beach. Oneida Lake near Syracuse also has some beaches, as do some other lakes in Upstate NY. Great sunsets on Lake Ontario too.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:32 PM

92,036 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Here's more: Microbiologist - New Berlin, NY - Indeed Mobile

Geologist - Syracuse, NY - Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

https://wm.greatjob.net/jobs/JobDesc...d-9a1a90ffe8c7

http://www.ecoemploy.com/jobs/watershed0626.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-25-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,142,139 times
We WNYers love being near the water, even when it's frozen!

Beaches on Lake Erie -- there are lots of other places to get close to the water, like Barcelona, Dunkirk, and Buffalo Harbors:
  • Lake Erie State Park (south/west of Dunkirk)
  • Dunkirk (Point Gratiot Park and Wright Park, both in the city limits)
  • Silver Creek (Sunset Bay Beach)
  • Brant (Evangola State Park)
  • Evans (Evans Town Beach -restricted to residents IIRC)
  • Angola (Bennett Beach & others may be restricted to residents/cottagers, not sure)
  • Hamburg (Wendt Beach; Hamburg Town Park is restricted to residents)
  • Blasdell (Gallagher Beach State Park)
There's also a beach on the Niagara River between Buffalo and Niagara Falls: Beaver Island State Park.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:50 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,245,828 times
Come to Northampton, Mass.! We'd love to have you, and I think we'll meet all of your criteria. Except -- what kind of work are the two of you seeking? I may have missed that.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Come to Northampton, Mass.! We'd love to have you, and I think we'll meet all of your criteria. Except -- what kind of work are the two of you seeking? I may have missed that.
I haven't been able to find a house that's our speed in Northampton.

My wife has her MS in Biochemistry and I have my MS in Environmental Science. She's worked as a project manager for the last few years though. She's exploring both biochem and project management while looking for jobs up north. I think the northeast will be a great place for my field. There are more companies up north that want to hire environmental scientists, it seems.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 PM

I think I'm really liking the area just north of Syracuse. It's close to the lake, close to the Adirondacks, and it seems like a good sized city that has jobs.

What are your opinions? Anything comparable to Syracuse with that criteria?

Is Syracuse pretty gay friendly? From internet searches they seem to be.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 PM

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason that you folks up north take those metal gas furnaces and put them IN the fireplace to use for heating? Do they heat better than a plain Jane fireplace? Do they use different materials than wood, and save money? Do they just contain the warmth better inside the house? Fill me in here. Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York