Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:16 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,827,061 times

Advertisements

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/reveal...110500616.html

I thought NY was lowering taxes and attracting businesses? 4 of the top 5 cities are all down South, the 5th is out west, and the Northeast is barely represented.

What's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 AM

19,223 posts, read 17,105,490 times
This is the reality of where the markets and jobs really are. Others will poo poo the report saying there low paying jobs but making twice as much in NYC and paying 3 times as much for less than half does not provide for any great standard of living. Businesses look at the bottom line and with unions, taxes, tolls etc the cost of doing business is lower anywhere else.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 AM

93,421 posts, read 124,120,588 times
You may want to check this thread out, as industry is an important factor, which the article mentions: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-find-job.html

Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You may want to check this thread out, as industry is an important factor, which the article mentions: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-find-job.html
I'll take an area adding 50,000 jobs (any jobs) and growth than stagnation, no jobs, and a governor begging on TV "please come back to NY".

Jobs don't occur in a vacuum. Put up a building and they need surveyors, crane operators, environmental studies, pizza places, heavy equipment sellers, concrete plants, road crews, liquor stores, etc. It all trickles down.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'll take an area adding 50,000 jobs (any jobs) and growth than stagnation, no jobs, and a governor begging on TV "please come back to NY".

Jobs don't occur in a vacuum. Put up a building and they need surveyors, crane operators, environmental studies, pizza places, heavy equipment sellers, concrete plants, road crews, liquor stores, etc. It all trickles down.
There has been growth, but you also notice that there have been people that have been laid off and are still looking. That is why I mentioned that industry is also important, not just jobs created. It is something that the article mentions as well. It isn't a knock on any of the areas, but things seem to be more complex according to those residents.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There has been growth, but you also notice that there have been people that have been laid off and are still looking. That is why I mentioned that industry is also important, not just jobs created. It is something that the article mentions as well. It isn't a knock on any of the areas, but things seem to be more complex according to those residents.
If Syracuse was #1 in job growth, would you be posting it? Or would you be saying that there are still laid off people posting on a forum? Because I've seen people complain about the job situation in Syracuse and you call them trolls.

Would you say that "although Syracuse is #1, its only in certain industries and the situation is more complex than that?"

Hmm, let me guess what you're reaction would be. Its interesting how certain areas seem to be favored over others. Why can't you just admit that places like Raleigh are doing exceptionally well, that the population is migrating there for a good reason?

Old 05-21-2015, 07:13 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,411,000 times
Quote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/reveal...110500616.html

I thought NY was lowering taxes and attracting businesses? 4 of the top 5 cities are all down South, the 5th is out west, and the Northeast is barely represented.

What's going on?
Don't introduce reality to this forum. NY state is the best there is. Everything else is just second rate. lol.

Seriously, NY is doing horribly.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
If Syracuse was #1 in job growth, would you be posting it? Or would you be saying that there are still laid off people posting on a forum? Because I've seen people complain about the job situation in Syracuse and you call them trolls.

Would you say that "although Syracuse is #1, its only in certain industries and the situation is more complex than that?"

Hmm, let me guess what you're reaction would be. Its interesting how certain areas seem to be favored over others. Why can't you just admit that places like Raleigh are doing exceptionally well, that the population is migrating there for a good reason?
This is another lie in terms of calling people trolls, just like the denying NY taxes statement. If Syracuse was #1, I'd probably just post it and let it go(shrug). Most of the growth in the Syracuse area has been a couple or a few select industries actually.

Are you from Raleigh, I take it? When did I deny that Raleigh was doing well and why does it matter on a NY forum? It is odd that you never post on the Raleigh forum, by the way. My point is about finding a job even in place #1 can still be difficult.

Also, what is the criteria for the list? I know it uses the top 50 metros, which means that only 2 metros in NY would be eligible(Buffalo and NYC).

Jobs can be created by companies currently in an area as well.

Here is the direct article with the criteria: 25 Best Cities For Jobs | Glassdoor Blog

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-21-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 06:58 AM

19,223 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Regardless how you slice it and dice it (with a dice-a-matic) northern locations are not demonstrating the growth or potential that all these lists look for. When city's show growth of .1% over several years it is easier to say 11 people were born and 9 people died, that's no growth and it reflects the status of that community. Will it change again? probably in a few decades, maybe by then other locations will have cleaned up their act, lowered costs and made them selves viable players to secure business.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Regardless how you slice it and dice it (with a dice-a-matic) northern locations are not demonstrating the growth or potential that all these lists look for. When city's show growth of .1% over several years it is easier to say 11 people were born and 9 people died, that's no growth and it reflects the status of that community. Will it change again? probably in a few decades, maybe by then other locations will have cleaned up their act, lowered costs and made them selves viable players to secure business.
I get that, but a part this is also due to deindustrialization and many Northern areas are growing, but are just built out(thinking the Bos-Wash corridor). So, they build up and any gain they get would be small due to the high population.

Pittsburgh, Boston, Kansas City, Columbus OH, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Chicago are Northern cities that made the list, with some maybe including Baltimore and DC to that list.

I will say that given the criteria, I don't see how San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, DC and Boston make the list given their high COL. Some of the comments are interesting as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-22-2015 at 07:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York