Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM

403 posts, read 771,302 times

Advertisements

Hello again everyone,

My family and I just took another trip up to the Finger Lakes area this past week. The towns we liked the most to move to were these 3. However, there were some sections of Canandaigua especially and also Geneva city that looked a bit shady. Are there parts of these towns to avoid? Also, of the 3, any good, bad, or ugly opinions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Are you saying that Canandaigua had shady areas? Just wondering. As for the towns, they are pretty rural and should be fine.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM

We got a bit lost in both Canandaigua and Geneva thanks to our terrible GPS. We ended up on a road in Canandaigua where quite a few houses looked pretty run down. Then in another area there was an abandoned building boarded up with crackhouse written on it. The area where I live now is near WAY worse looking areas, but since I'm very unfamiliar with the town, I just wanted to check.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
We got a bit lost in both Canandaigua and Geneva thanks to our terrible GPS. We ended up on a road in Canandaigua where quite a few houses looked pretty run down. Then in another area there was an abandoned building boarded up with crackhouse written on it. The area where I live now is near WAY worse looking areas, but since I'm very unfamiliar with the town, I just wanted to check.
Interesting.....Canandaigua's crime rate is pretty low. So, I don't think there is an issue with crime. I know that Geneva has some public housing that is hidden to where you have to know where it is, but its crime rate is below average as well.

Also, what other places were you able to go to?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 AM

We drove around Seneca Lake. We went through Penn Yan, but it was raining, so it was just a quick drive. We also drove through Ithaca quickly, but only the main street (not sure of the road number). We didn't get to the downtown. We went to the mall in Syracuse (huge)! Hammondsport seemed like a lovely little town as well, but very small. We would definitely like to have a view of the lake, and hopefully be able to walk to it as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
We drove around Seneca Lake. We went through Penn Yan, but it was raining, so it was just a quick drive. We also drove through Ithaca quickly, but only the main street (not sure of the road number). We didn't get to the downtown. We went to the mall in Syracuse (huge)! Hammondsport seemed like a lovely little town as well, but very small. We would definitely like to have a view of the lake, and hopefully be able to walk to it as well.
Were you able to go through Waterloo or Seneca Falls at all?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM

Although I remember seeing a sign for Waterloo, I don't remember driving through a downtown area. We did not see Seneca Falls. We were trying to cram A LOT into 4 days!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Although I remember seeing a sign for Waterloo, I don't remember driving through a downtown area. We did not see Seneca Falls. We were trying to cram A LOT into 4 days!
I hear you. Are you coming back to check out other communities or are these the communities you are concentrating on?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM

For now, my husband is going to continue sending out resumes... If he lands something, then we will take the time and come up with the sole intention of REALLY checking out nearby areas. I wouldreally like to be in a town (definitely not a city though), not in the middle of nowhere. I've heard the west sides of the lakes tend to get a bit less snow, so that would be a plus. I am open to other possibilities, but heard good things about these areas.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Waterloo & Seneca Falls are both off the lake, although I really do like Seneca Falls - I have family in Waterloo and it's OK IMO

Another town that could be of interest (if not too far north or east) is Auburn ..... has quite a bit going for it and packs a pretty solid punch IMO with their theater group, lake proximity, nearby hiking, etc

Hammondsport is a great little village - you'll definitely be close to the lake, they have a fairly active community (we could go there for the firemans carnival, they'd have concerts at night, etc) ..... it is small though - some nice stores off the square, but like many area villages it's not exactly the easiest thing in the world if you want to go buy a pair of pants or have a large grocery selection

I really enjoy Watkins Glen as well .... love hiking through the gorge, long pier out onto seneca lake

Geneva & Canandaigua are both fine as well ..... a little larger than the others with a little bit more nearby .... Geneva has the colleges there and there are a couple areas to avoid ........ like any community though, especially ones in areas that have seen a lot of changes over the years - you are going to have some areas that are better than others ..... both of those communities offer plenty though with the negative side easier to avoid

Penn Yan is fine - it's like a slightly smaller version of those other 2 communities

All of these places would be fine to live if you are looking for that type of community ....... I wouldn't worry about the random bad stretch in town - I would worry about proximity though ..... IMO that is a key element, what do you value and how much does each community offer or how close it is to what you want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York