Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 PM

26 posts, read 175,846 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what New Yorkers think of their state. I like the east coast area of the United States but would like more incite. Any and all information will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanloup View Post
I would like to know what New Yorkers think of their state. I like the east coast area of the United States but would like more incite. Any and all information will be appreciated.
It is a state that varies greatly. So, the response you see may depend on where a person lives, along with personal and other factors.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:01 AM

715 posts, read 2,510,490 times
To piggy back off CKH's idea, you can go from the sprawling mega-24/7-city that is New York, to rural countryside where, if nobody told you that NYC was just an hour away, you'd have no idea...

Farther north, there are mid-sized cities (Albany, Syracuse, Binghamton, Rochester, Buffalo) that differ culturally, socially, and economically from one another and NYC but offer a variety of unique 'perks;' such as distance to mountains, to a Great Lake, or even Canada...

Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is a state that varies greatly. So, the response you see may depend on where a person lives, along with personal and other factors.

You're absolutely right. I should define a little better. Ideally, I would not like to live in New York City. I know it is expensive as all hell. I do know a friend who lives there, but I know it is not for me.

Ideally, I would prefer somewhere upstate. Even though upstate seems to sit in the shadow of New York City, I like having easy access to nature. I also like the idea of living in a place that has a lot of history. I know that this only helps limit things a little. But, are there places you love upstate or places you would avoid at all costs?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM

I don't know if there are places that I would avoid at all costs, personally. There are places that I would prefer over others though.

Given the criteria, I think that you could do what you are looking for in most, if not all, of the metro areas, to some degree. Lack of serious traffic helps in this regard. City size may be a key in terms of the type of city/area you are looking for. Location is another thing to consider, because if you like mountains, then you may want to look at areas within close proximity to them. Job opportunities, may or may not be good for you, but it will depend on what you can do too.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,239 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right. I should define a little better. Ideally, I would not like to live in New York City. I know it is expensive as all hell. I do know a friend who lives there, but I know it is not for me.

Ideally, I would prefer somewhere upstate. Even though upstate seems to sit in the shadow of New York City, I like having easy access to nature. I also like the idea of living in a place that has a lot of history. I know that this only helps limit things a little. But, are there places you love upstate or places you would avoid at all costs?
Truly, I think that the rest of New York doesn't sit in NYC metro's shadow... they're just completely different places. Utterly. It's a completely different place, even within itself. I'd really suggest taking a driving tour on your own before settling somewhere.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
OP has posted the same question in Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

I think you should really figure out what you're looking for first before trying to narrow down. Since you are potentially interested in all those states, it seems you may not really know what you want.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
OP has posted the same question in Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

I think you should really figure out what you're looking for first before trying to narrow down. Since you are potentially interested in all those states, it seems you may not really know what you want.

You are right, I really don't know right now. That's why I have the posts. I would like to see what people think about their states. Part of it is curiosity, the other part is to narrow things down. Ideally, I'd like to go to school in the future to earn a masters in accounting so I would like to find a good school in a good state. I know this makes me sound wishy washy, so I apologize for that.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
You are right, I really don't know right now. That's why I have the posts. I would like to see what people think about their states. Part of it is curiosity, the other part is to narrow things down. Ideally, I'd like to go to school in the future to earn a masters in accounting so I would like to find a good school in a good state. I know this makes me sound wishy washy, so I apologize for that.
Here is some information in regards to accounting programs in NY State: New York Accounting Schools – NY | Accounting Degree Today

Old 08-07-2013, 05:47 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
Quote:
You need to be more specific otherwise we really can't help you. You're asking the pros and cons of an ENTIRE state (several states even). You say nothing of what you want or are looking for. NY state varies greatly as do the different cities and areas. It's frustrating when I see someone post the same question in several forums expecting everyone to just drop everything when you haven't given us any indication of what you're looking for. You probably need to figure that piece out before anyone on a forum can help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York