Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 13,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaniac View Post
Hmmm, how does that ignore feature work? I've never used it. Let's give it a go... highlight and copy "itSmellsBAD" > My Settings > Buddy / Ignore Lists > paste "itSmellsBAD" into Ignore List field > click Save List. Hey, that was pretty easy. And things seem to smell much better around here too.
Thanks that was helpful and gave me a chuckle. I think their attitude is what they are smelling, because I've checked out their other posts and they are completely negative across the board! (both this board, and figuratively speaking).

Let me just reiterate----

I POSITIVELY <3 FREDONIA AND DUNKIRK. This is my home :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,330 times
I just moved from central Florida to Dunkirk NY a year ago. with in a year I've managed to acquire 3 properties, something I would have never been able to do in Florida. all I did was apply a big city mentality into a thriving small town and squeezed a diamond out of what some people are calling a pile of Cole.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,300 times
Default Western New York

Hello Seattle! Love your town, hate the real estate prices there. Like you, I have been researching where to retire affordably. Like you I've been looking at Chautauqua county.

My family moved to Greencrest (west of Van Buren) in the late 50's to get as far away from inner city "mischief" as possible. I attended Brocton Central High School and SUNY Fredonia. That was an idilic time.

However, to keep New York City afloat, the home owners in New York are bearing the financial load via property taxes. While a 5 bedroom lakefront home looks good at $400,000 (for us Californians anyway) the $6000 a year property tax makes for one hefty monthly payment.

Dunkirk has always been the more depressed area. Brocton is a farm town. Fredonia is a college town, so the larger homes are or were bought for conversion to student housing. Westfield has stately mansions on market, but you have to marry a work in progress.

The steel mills shut down, Welch's pulled out, True Temper moved away, indeed most every major employer is now gone. Median family income is well below the state and national averages.

Weather is harsh in winter; remember, you're pretty close to Buffalo.

With all that said, I would still consider the area for investment or retirement. The folks who have lived there all their lives are among the most honest, and friendly that you will meet across the states. Yes, the area needs attention and an infusion of employers. Perhaps you would consider offering either or both.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 PM

58 posts, read 324,889 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloisec View Post
Buffalo does not deserve its reputation regarding climate. As someone who grew up in Chautauqua county and now lives in Buffalo, I can honestly say that I find the weather in Buffalo to be milder than in Dunkirk and Fredonia. I visit Dunkirk and Fredonia frequently, and am usually driving into bad weather, not going out of it.

As for where to live, Fredonia is preferable. It has the charm of a 19th century village and the cultural resources of a college town. I would love to retire someday in either Fredonia or Westfield.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:03 PM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloisec View Post
Hello Seattle! Love your town, hate the real estate prices there. Like you, I have been researching where to retire affordably. Like you I've been looking at Chautauqua county.

My family moved to Greencrest (west of Van Buren) in the late 50's to get as far away from inner city "mischief" as possible. I attended Brocton Central High School and SUNY Fredonia. That was an idilic time.

However, to keep New York City afloat, the home owners in New York are bearing the financial load via property taxes. While a 5 bedroom lakefront home looks good at $400,000 (for us Californians anyway) the $6000 a year property tax makes for one hefty monthly payment.

Dunkirk has always been the more depressed area. Brocton is a farm town. Fredonia is a college town, so the larger homes are or were bought for conversion to student housing. Westfield has stately mansions on market, but you have to marry a work in progress.

The steel mills shut down, Welch's pulled out, True Temper moved away, indeed most every major employer is now gone. Median family income is well below the state and national averages.

With all that said, I would still consider the area for investment or retirement. The folks who have lived there all their lives are among the most honest, and friendly that you will meet across the states. Yes, the area needs attention and an infusion of employers. Perhaps you would consider offering either or both.

Property taxes go to the school district - not to NYC - that's where State taxes go. So whether your house costs $800,000 like here in CA or $100,000 in Chautauqua Co (where I also grew up), it still costs the same to educate a child and therefore the school must raise the necessary funds. Personally I'd rather pay $6000 property taxes for a $400,000 home that would cost over a million in CA than that much for a tiny $600,000 home in CA - you're still paying a lot less each month and getting much more house. Which by the way with Mello Roos, our property taxes here in CA are way more than that.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 60,574 times
Dunkirk...If you want a slum. Ferdonia is a college town, however it is a small town with people waving and saying hello when they don't know you. Letting you get into traffic (there isn't that much) before them. Just kind "folk" I went to Dunkirk for a new position and would not have lived there for a moment. Let us not forget the RGE Power Plant.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:32 PM

5 posts, read 22,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capjmp2 View Post
Dunkirk...If you want a slum. Ferdonia is a college town, however it is a small town with people waving and saying hello when they don't know you. Letting you get into traffic (there isn't that much) before them. Just kind "folk" I went to Dunkirk for a new position and would not have lived there for a moment. Let us not forget the RGE Power Plant.
I grew up in Drugkirk, use to be Drunkirk, but most of the 1st. and 4th. ward bars are gone. There is also a thing called D.A., Dunkirk Attitude. You notice this attitude at local clubs, bars, stores, etc. Every one in Dunkirk has a down in the dumps look on life. This city is not the place I grew up in the 60's and 70's. OK, I live in Fredonia, but, there's not one street in Fredonia I would be afraid to walk at 2 am. Some people call Dunkirk lil' Buffalo because of the crack whores, gangs, and lowlifes that live in most parts of the city. Again, I grew up in Dunkirk, i'll never go back the way it is now.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnymarc View Post
I grew up in Drugkirk, use to be Drunkirk, but most of the 1st. and 4th. ward bars are gone. There is also a thing called D.A., Dunkirk Attitude. You notice this attitude at local clubs, bars, stores, etc. Every one in Dunkirk has a down in the dumps look on life. This city is not the place I grew up in the 60's and 70's. OK, I live in Fredonia, but, there's not one street in Fredonia I would be afraid to walk at 2 am. Some people call Dunkirk lil' Buffalo because of the crack whores, gangs, and lowlifes that live in most parts of the city. Again, I grew up in Dunkirk, i'll never go back the way it is now.
Have you ever visited a real city? Dunkirk is very safe compared. It isn't that bad at all. It is economically depressed, but it isn't dangerous at all. And maybe you should go hang out with some of the people, they aren't depressed or anything. They are excited about the future, have you been there lately, alot of work has been done. And this is from someone who has no connection to the city, except that i lived in a crappy apartment there for a few months. Fredonia is no safer. In fact, because of the college kids, it is less safe. Not that Fredonia is bad or anything, but Dunkirk isn't any worse.

By the way, if you ask someone in Dunkirk where to find some drugs, most of the time they point you in the up Central Ave. in the direction of Fredonia, where people have enough money to buy large quantities of drugs

And where is this terrifying street in Fredonia you speak of?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynn83 View Post
Buffalo does not deserve its reputation regarding climate. As someone who grew up in Chautauqua county and now lives in Buffalo, I can honestly say that I find the weather in Buffalo to be milder than in Dunkirk and Fredonia. I visit Dunkirk and Fredonia frequently, and am usually driving into bad weather, not going out of it.

As for where to live, Fredonia is preferable. It has the charm of a 19th century village and the cultural resources of a college town. I would love to retire someday in either Fredonia or Westfield.
Westfield is better Although, the weather is not as bad in either of those areas than the rest of the county. Anything close to the lakeshore is usually a little better. Whats you start going up the hill and reach the escarpment, the weather usually gets quite worse...mayville, cassadaga, etc.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:49 PM

30 posts, read 37,621 times
I lived in Dunkirk-Fredonia from 1988-1997 and I last visited in 2003... and it was wonderful. I often think if I could win the lottery or make what I currently make ($90K per year) I could live there very comfortably.

Fredonia is a beautiful town. College town sandwiched between two natural boundaries The Escarpment & Lake Erie. The town has pretty tree lined streets, large victorian homes, and lots of open farmland outside of town. As long as you don't live next to the college, you won't run risk of a college student pissing on your lawn. Lots of great bars and restuarnts on Main St. and Water. I lived on Temple St. Prospect st. and center st. Buffalo and Erie, PA are 1 hour in each direction. The college adds some culture to the small town living.

Dunkirk is blue collar, depressed and yes... in the shadow of Niagra Mohawk's coal plant. That doesn't mean there are not some nice places to live. I lived on west 4th street and the houses were a steal. $70-80K for a beautiful victorian. Fredonia/Dunkirk border each other so it's not like it's not a short drive to Fredonia.

The major consideration would be employment. Unless you have an opportunity to work at NI-MO or SUNY you'd have to hike to Buffalo everyday for a decent job. There are NO jobs in Chautauqua Co. Self employment would be a consideration.

Ismellbad... opinion is pretty exaggerated. I wouldn't put much stock into it. Appearently he's never lived there... only visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York