U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM

622 posts, read 1,585,724 times

Advertisements

I have to agree. I think I've had the good fortune to live all over the US and have seen some real armpits of civilization, and I have to say that Fredonia and Dunkirk are mostly charming.
When you have to worry about stray bullets flying into your apartment, or gangs that shoot random people on the streets as an initiation, or hear the popping of what sounds like firecrakers in the near distance -but with that distinct and chilling difference, or being jumped for being in the wrong place at the wrong time...then I would say that your town qualifies as ghetto terrible.
I think that if people started looking around at all of the good and noticing all the real opportunity that exists in NY that amazing things could happen. People have chanted the mantra "this place is a dump" for so long that they actually believe it. I wish they could go see the real dumps, and then be grateful they don't live there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,867 times
Amen

Old 07-17-2009, 11:42 AM

10 posts, read 42,996 times
How about the Mina/Sherman area? The area seems beautiful to me and we are looking to build in the area, first as a vacation getaway home and maybe later as a full time residence. The people I have met from there seem unbelieveably neighborly and indicate they don't even lock their doors, the crime rate is so low. Also, a nice ski resort near by helps with teh draw for us.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 14,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmom View Post
Hello,
We live in Seattle and my husband has been online researching info on Dunkirk and Fredonia NY. Any good or bad things to say about these towns?
Looking for small town feeling but not "dead" after hours. Need a good gym also.
Poster who said Westfield is spot on.. And with the thruway, you would be there in 15 minutes

Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,269 times
Default Have a little perspective

I feel I must add to the thread that Dunkirk and Fredonia can be perfectly pleasant. It really depends on what street you live on and who your neighbors are! We relocated to Dunkirk from a city with 1.5 million people for my husband's job at the university and thought I would hate the small town life. It doesn't have all the conveniences of big cities, but also has less of the traffic and crime, and the homes are so much more affordable. Many faculty members from the college (SUNY Fredonia) live in Dunkirk, not just Fredonia. We really like it here (except for all the snow.)

Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,348 times
Exclamation wow!!

wow i cant believe all the negative remarks that are being said about the "hispanic" people living in dunkirk. it truly does not surprise me at all though. im a puerto rican man living here in dunkirk ny. and it pains me to see that most of the negative remarks about dunkirk falls to blame on the latin folks here sorry but some latin American folks do not like being called hispanics and im one of them! I moved here from New jersey when i was 10 im 31 now with a wife and 3 kids a mortgage and every other bills that come from being a family man. Yes dunkirk has alot of LATIN Americans here. Thats because Dunkirk in its hay days was a booming little city alot of jobs when theres alot of jobs folks with less than tend to migrate in search for a better.If some of you would go for a walk or instead of locking yourself in a car as a black person or a latin person walked by How about this roll down the window step outside say hi converse. be part of the community not a hermit. The people with the negative remarks about dunkirk shame on you! You are the kinda of people who just up and leave when things dont go to your liking instead of doing something about it!! Im here to stay id rather live here than any other place period! You know whats funny is that in our local government ive yet to see a black mayor or a latin mayor all run by whites so whose to blame? If your bored in dunkirk you have no one to blame for yourself Dunkirk has so much to offer but your too lazy to enjoy them. basket ball courts all over baseball fields by the dozen hiking biking boating fishing walking museums also light house museum and the lake front never looked so good and family functions for all to enjoy. Ive never been to a city that will close one of there main streets like central ave to have a free movie night for all too see and enjoy i wish you were to see that it was truly awesome lawn chairs right down the middle of the street while kids ran around without no worries @ 9 pm and the diversity just made it that much better! say what you want about dunkirk and its people but when disaster strikes like the major flooding in silvercreek ny our nieghbor to the east of us about 8 miles away we were there and here collecting helping cleaning supporting and just a plain shoulder we take care of each other we dont need the naysayers. We need more people with a can do attitude not quitters who leave and dont care about there community because if you didnt care about this one you would not care for any other community either!! Ill stay here and go boating and raise my family and give back to my little city That takes very good care of me!!! love peace and hair grease!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:47 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,511,004 times
I forgot to log in before posting this message. Now it seems to have disappeared. So, instead of rewriting the whole message, I just want to ask if anyone who lives in that area can look at their most recent electric bill and post some details from it, so we can compare electric rates in different areas. The most important details are how much electricity was used and how much money was billed, so we can figure the cost per amount. If it shows before-and-after meter readings, those can be used to figure the amount of electricity used, so you could just post those and the amount of money billed.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 9,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chautauquapeopleunited View Post
Also, in Dunkirk, there are gangs. Second Street seems to be the center of all the trouble. Drugs are a definite problem in Dunkirk and there are several 'illegal groups'. My father used to tell me stories about his childhood in Fredonia. He said that one time he was in dunkirk, (NOT TO BE RACIST) There was a big crowd of Pueto Rican people and on the other side a large crowd of African Americans and my father said they had bats pipes and other 'weapons' and they came and attacked each other with them. My father and my grandfather had to escape out the door in the kitchen because they couldnt get out the front door. NRG really needs to clean up and we need to all work together to clean the lake.
Dude there is nothing wrong with the Puerto Ricans and African Americans in Dunkirk, they are peaceful and are as much citizens as you! Shut ur trap bout dunkirk, ik we all grew up thinking about how much we hated Dunkirk cause of school rivalry, but give it up!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,902 times
Default To all of you who have bad things to say about Dunkirk NY

You say what you like But before you talk Sh&* think about the Good People.I have lived here all my Life and Yes some places are bad.But after you walk down secend st walk through Van Buren Point and say "Dunkirk is a Bad place" I agree that their are bad Porto Ricans but their Not the only problem.There is also Bad White people as well as Black.I hate to see this scumbags talking down about the Town I love.I get mad about the bad things that happen but I dont just talk about and Hide behind a Fake username and act tough on here.I am doing something about it.I have been Painting The Robin st Tunnel for the last 3 years. And I have to paint over and over every single month.I dont cry about it I just do it because The people like to see it clean.The Board walk was NOT worth the 1,000,000 they spent on it but atleast it is bringing people to our lake.I hope you think before you speek next time. and if you have a problem Dont be a Pootzcake say what you have to say with out Hiding behind a Username.And dont take your problems out on 1 group of people.The PR's belong here as much as anyone else.I am Italian and Polish and My family came here and wasnt wanted 100s of years ago too.I agree that the "Ghetto" is a problem but You just talk about it Start being about it and do something Good To change it Like I am.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM

22,152 posts, read 38,673,029 times
I stayed at the Clarion Hotel in Dunkirk right along Lake Erie last week. It seemed like the town was little changed in several decades with some improvements in a few areas. I could sense I was approaching the coal plant from several miles away by a strong burning smell. The highlight of the trip was a mention of a new indoor water park by the locals near the lakefront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York