U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,754,798 times

Advertisements

the economy is better in Albany, that part I would agree with.....but as far as cutlure and climate go...Buffalo has Albany beat in the first, and about the same in the latter. Actually, the comment about the climate in Albany being more moderate than that in Buffalo is false. Lake Erie gives Buffalo more moderate temperatures than Albany pretty mich year round. It gives Buffalo some more snow durring winter than Albany; but it usually keeps it a few degrees warmer than inland Albany, and on the oppostie end, keeps it less humid and muggy durring summer than Albany. To argue Albany has more culture than Buffalo or flaunt its "proximity" to NYC and Boston vs. Buffalo to Tortonto is just ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 PM

525 posts, read 1,731,281 times
Albany has a better economy for now. If the people of New York ever get a backbone to say no that will change. And since Albany is completely dependent upon taxpayer funded jobs (I think GE is the only for-profit that employs more than 5,000?), it will not be able to deal with the results. Just wait until the credit fiasco hits the tax roles in the form of lousy bonuses for Wall Street. $10 says that the budget numbers is based on last year's record-high payout.

As for being close to other cities, you can fly JetBlue from Buffalo to Boston or NYC faster and probably for a similar cost as driving from Albany due to gas prices, tolls, and parking. And you can fly from Buffalo to any city in the US for significantly less than the cost from Albany.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:38 PM

155 posts, read 813,775 times
"the economy is better in Albany, that part I would agree with.....but as far as cutlure and climate go...Buffalo has Albany beat in the first, and about the same in the latter. Actually, the comment about the climate in Albany being more moderate than that in Buffalo is false. Lake Erie gives Buffalo more moderate temperatures than Albany pretty mich year round. It gives Buffalo some more snow durring winter than Albany; but it usually keeps it a few degrees warmer than inland Albany, and on the oppostie end, keeps it less humid and muggy durring summer than Albany. To argue Albany has more culture than Buffalo or flaunt its "proximity" to NYC and Boston vs. Buffalo to Tortonto is just ridiculous"-I'minformed2

You're right, being close to two of the most desirable, major cities in the US and the New England Coast is a huge drawback. I wish we had a straight shot to Cleveland instead.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM

636 posts, read 1,872,009 times
or Erie, Saint Catherines, or Rochester...lol!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM

636 posts, read 1,872,009 times
"Lake Erie gives Buffalo more moderate temperatures than Albany pretty much year round."

So instead of 20 degrees and sunny...you get 30 degrees and a slate gray sky with snow squalls. No thank you.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM

3,234 posts, read 8,179,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rug city View Post
"the economy is better in Albany, that part I would agree with.....but as far as cutlure and climate go...Buffalo has Albany beat in the first, and about the same in the latter. Actually, the comment about the climate in Albany being more moderate than that in Buffalo is false. Lake Erie gives Buffalo more moderate temperatures than Albany pretty mich year round. It gives Buffalo some more snow durring winter than Albany; but it usually keeps it a few degrees warmer than inland Albany, and on the oppostie end, keeps it less humid and muggy durring summer than Albany. To argue Albany has more culture than Buffalo or flaunt its "proximity" to NYC and Boston vs. Buffalo to Tortonto is just ridiculous"-I'minformed2

You're right, being close to two of the most desirable, major cities in the US and the New England Coast is a huge drawback. I wish we had a straight shot to Cleveland instead.

Yes, and being close to Toronto, 2 great lakes and wine country is so horrible.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,660,251 times
You guys always kill me with your posts lol
the good the bad and the ugly huh????

The schools in Williamsville and Clarence have been on the top for years, if that is a priority. Homes here are huge for the money, taxes wont be much different in Albany than in Buffalo Burbs. I have investors buying from me from as far away as California, is that a bad thing? No, what it says is they know a good thing to invest in, the market isnt great for sellers, but great for buyers and guess what???? IT ALWAYS TURNS AROUND!! Everything has its ups and downs, but imho you cant lose with good real estate in Buffalo Area - before anyone starts telling me "oh yeah, great investments on the east side or lackawanna", those are not the kind of investments I am speaking of. I have access to beautiful homes listed in Williamsville for under 150k - not huge, and others in East Amherst can go up to 800k - but bottom line is for 200-300k you can get a very very nice sized home in a great school system in a very very safe community IF that is what a buyer wants, that cannot be denied.
Colleen

Old 11-14-2007, 05:53 PM

253 posts, read 1,225,228 times
Quote:
(and, no, I do not consider driving 3 plus hours even further north into the bowels of wintry Toronto a cultural outlet).
1 hour 40 minutes.. and even thats a stretch because we drive fast both in WNY and so do the Canadians on the QEW.

buffalo, ny to toronto ontario canada - Google Maps

Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 PM

253 posts, read 1,225,228 times
Quote:
Cleveland?
If I wanted to visit a major city I'll visit Detroit. (No disrespect to Cleveland at all)

If I wanted to visit an overpriced urban disneyland.. then maybe I'll visit NYC/Boston

Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 AM

155 posts, read 813,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
Cleveland?
If I wanted to visit a major city I'll visit Detroit. (No disrespect to Cleveland at all)

If I wanted to visit an overpriced urban disneyland.. then maybe I'll visit NYC/Boston
That you drones in WNY would consider two of our most historic, beautiful, vibrant cities 'urban disneylands' says volumes about why you settle where you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York