U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 AM

3,234 posts, read 8,132,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rug city View Post
That you drones in WNY would consider two of our most historic, beautiful, vibrant cities 'urban disneylands' says volumes about why you settle where you do.

And the fact that you drones from where ever you are from do not consider Toronto a cultural outlet says volumes about your ignorance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 AM

155 posts, read 811,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
And the fact that you drones from where ever you are from do not consider Toronto a cultural outlet says volumes about your ignorance.
Toronto is most definitely a beautiful, culturally significant city. My point was to compare Albany's proximity to two of our most important cities, the New England Coast and points South to Buffalo's boast of being able to drive from their own cold, snowy city to another cold city even further north. I personally don't see that as an antidote to upstate's harsh, snowy winters.

Some may argue that it is your own city that should dictate your decision on where to settle, but I happen to think that there are some areas that now find themselves too far removed from our lifeline cities to make a go of it. You never hear people from Albany point to Montreal as a close cultural outlet- we'd rather make a day trip to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas tree or Faneuil Hall in Boston. Executives in NYC & Albany make quick weekly visits back & forth. We are connected to all of this.

Perhaps it's just my personal preference, but I'd rather feel part of the Northeast & New England coast than the midwest- and I feel Buffalo is more akin to/the latter. Then again, that may just be my ignorance talking.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Toronto is most definitely a beautiful, culturally significant city. My point was to compare Albany's proximity to two of our most important cities, the New England Coast and points South to Buffalo's boast of being able to drive from their own cold, snowy city to another cold city even further north. I personally don't see that as an antidote to upstate's harsh, snowy winters.

Some may argue that it is your own city that should dictate your decision on where to settle, but I happen to think that there are some areas that now find themselves too far removed from our lifeline cities to make a go of it. You never hear people from Albany point to Montreal as a close cultural outlet- we'd rather make a day trip to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas tree or Faneuil Hall in Boston. Executives in NYC & Albany make quick weekly visits back & forth. We are connected to all of this.

Perhaps it's just my personal preference, but I'd rather feel part of the Northeast & New England coast than the midwest- and I feel Buffalo is more akin to/the latter. Then again, that may just be my ignorance talking.
You know there are other seasons besides winter in Toronto? If you want to escape a cold snowy winter, your best bet is to leave the northeast all together. Going from Albany to Boston will still bring you cold and snow. Going from Albany to NYC will still bring you cold and snow (just less of it in nyc).
Since your brought up people talking about cultural outlets, I have met only a handful of people from Albany that have actually been to Boston. Most people I know in Albany will only go to NYC once every year or so. If you want to bring up going back and forth on a weekly basis, there are plenty of people that do that between Buffalo and Toronto (to my surprise). Buffalo is not more akin to the latter. That is just your ignorance talking again. If a person wants to feel connected to a bigger city, then live in that city or close by. Not 3 hours away.
With that said, both areas are nice. It just gets very annoying when people like you try to bash an area with untrue statements.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
You know there are other seasons besides winter in Toronto? If you want to escape a cold snowy winter, your best bet is to leave the northeast all together. Going from Albany to Boston will still bring you cold and snow. Going from Albany to NYC will still bring you cold and snow (just less of it in nyc).
Since your brought up people talking about cultural outlets, I have met only a handful of people from Albany that have actually been to Boston. Most people I know in Albany will only go to NYC once every year or so. If you want to bring up going back and forth on a weekly basis, there are plenty of people that do that between Buffalo and Toronto (to my surprise). Buffalo is not more akin to the latter. That is just your ignorance talking again. If a person wants to feel connected to a bigger city, then live in that city or close by. Not 3 hours away.
With that said, both areas are nice. It just gets very annoying when people like you try to bash an area with untrue statements.
You're confusing untrue with unflattering. What have I said that is untrue?- an opinion is an opinion, whether is it bashing or not. People make a sport of bashing the city I live in, and if they are making a point or are not abject morons, I simply agree to disagree- not question their intelligence or cultural literacy.

And by the way, Buffalo has the same Northern Cities Vowel Shift accent as the midwestern states- if it talks like a duck, walks like a duck....

Last edited by rug city; 11-15-2007 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 09:55 AM

You said Toronto was a cold snowy city as if a place like Boston was not in the winter months. You said that it took 3+ hours to get to Toronto when it does not. You said that Buffalo is not close to any cultural outlets when it is.
People in Buffalo talk nothing like the people in Cleveland, KC, Chicago or other midwestern cities. From Buffalo to Albany you don't see any real accent shift. You have to start getting into the middle part of MA to see it.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
You said Toronto was a cold snowy city as if a place like Boston was not in the winter months. You said that it took 3+ hours to get to Toronto when it does not. You said that Buffalo is not close to any cultural outlets when it is.
People in Buffalo talk nothing like the people in Cleveland, KC, Chicago or other midwestern cities. From Buffalo to Albany you don't see any real accent shift. You have to start getting into the middle part of MA to see it.
That you people can't even make a connection to a city in your own country says it all. No accent shift? HAAHAHA.
Northern cities vowel shift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-15-2007, 10:22 AM

253 posts, read 1,221,709 times
Quote:
You're confusing untrue with unflattering. What have I said that is untrue?- an opinion is an opinion, whether is it bashing or not. People make a sport of bashing the city I live in, and if they are making a point or are not abject morons, I simply agree to disagree- not question their intelligence or cultural literacy.
Whats untrue about NYC being an urban disneyland for rich white people? The parts you want to visit - Manhattan - thats exactly what it is. Its a fun place to visit for a weekend if you can afford it (like blowing through a grand over a weekend). And as for actually living there, if you are not very rich then you're not going to be able to afford to do anything, that or you'll be living way out on LI or in a different state NJ or CT .

Also, If you were really that connected to NYC you'd have that 'New Yorker' attitude and would've just said something about my mother instead of rushing to the defense of two cities that don't need your help.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
That you people can't even make a connection to a city in your own country says it all. No accent shift? HAAHAHA.
Northern cities vowel shift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does being in the same country have to do with anything? Buffalo is right on the border. If the city was located far away from the border you may have a point. Plenty of people in Buffalo make a "connection" to NYC as many travel there a few times per year.
And that wikipedia article does not mean much since its wikipedia. Anybody can edit those articles. There is even a heading at the top that says the article lacks citations and sources. I've met my fair share of people from Chicago and they sound nothing like the people here in Rochester as the article claims.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 AM

525 posts, read 1,723,970 times
I'm glad you eastern NY lovers finally learned that your little distant NYC suburb hamlet of Albany is no match for Rochester and started picking on our red-headed stepchild to the west. At least you have a chance for an argument on that one. Now stop sponging off us taxpayers for your entire economy and you might get some respect from us.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:51 PM

26 posts, read 79,186 times
I currently live on Long Island (Nassau county) and have lived in Binghamton, NY and Buffalo, NY for many, many years.

I haven't lived in Albany but have traveled/visited countless times

I'm not sure if I have this correct but is someone trying to say that Albany might be a better place to live than buffalo because it's close to Boston and NYC??

first, it's not close at all. 3hrs as the crow flies and add at least an hour for traffic when you get in this neck of the woods. trust me I do it every day.

How about not living 3 hrs from the cities you're apparently trying to glean some kind of status from and actually LIVE THERE!
You'll get all the culture you want, every day, all the other bull**** too but just like ****ty wx, you deal with it. By the way, Jet Blue flies direct from BUF to JFK and it only takes what...an hour and a half?

people always complain about the wx in buffalo, it's ridiculous, are people made out of glass or some precious material?? C'mon, dealing with that **** builds character, probably why I've been able to survive down here.

Actually, I would say a nice thing that Albany has going for it is its proximity to Montreal.

Having said that, one of the best things about Buffalo to me was being close to Toronto, Niagara on the lake, the falls. There are some beautiful parks in the area too (losson and Birchfield park come to mind).

I lived in east amherst, ny. I really don't have anything bad to say about it, the schools do have fantastic reputations. Transit road is a traffic cluster**** now thats for sure.

To the original poster, I would unreservedly recommend living in Buffalo. I'd take Buffalo over Albany any day. In fact, I can't imagine why anyone would choose to live in Albany with Boston and NYC so close?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York