U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:58 PM

80 posts, read 341,655 times

Advertisements

Those of you from Buffalo and Rochester accusing Albany residents of, as one of you said, "sponging off of us" need to remember it is not the residents of the Albany area that are doing the sponging. It is the elected officials from YOUR area that YOU elected that are allowing it to happen. That is if it is in-fact happening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:06 PM

80 posts, read 341,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I'm glad you eastern NY lovers finally learned that your little distant NYC suburb hamlet of Albany is no match for Rochester and started picking on our red-headed stepchild to the west. At least you have a chance for an argument on that one. Now stop sponging off us taxpayers for your entire economy and you might get some respect from us.
Did you not read the topic of this thread???

Old 11-21-2007, 11:50 AM

623 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Rochester is a red-headed stepchild in the eyes of NYC and Albany.

Especially the brilliant local genuises who thought Kodak could sell film in a digital world.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 AM

41 posts, read 133,090 times
[quote=garmin239;1995919] The cultural activities inside the city you actualy live in should be more important and both places offer much to do in that sense( Buffalo more since its bigger).
QUOTE]

I think people too often make the mistake of equating the cultural benefit of a city with the population or making a mistake. For example if any of you have been to Houston, I am sure you did not find it to be the cultural center that Austin is. I find San Fransico to have a more vibrant local culture than L.A and I found little Ann Arbor to have a more vibrant culture than Detroit.

I know I will be told I'm wrong...but I like Albany better than Rochester. That is an opionion...so do not tell me I'm wrong; I like Albany better. Albany is smaller...by a lot, but if offers just as much in terms of culture: art, music, food, and festivals.

Rochester I found to be a run of the mill mid size city. If you took 10 strangers and sent them to Grand Rapids, Rochester, Toledo, Madison, and Buffalo...I don't think you'd find an overwhelming favorite for any of those cities.

Rochester is certainly popular amongst those who were born there, that is fine...to each his own. I have a buddy that teaches in Rochester and we were talking about this phenominon or "Rochester Pride" and we were sharing stories. He told me he was at dinner at a Restaurant and his new friends were asking him how he like Rochester. He said "It's alot like Syracuse." He said it was just like a movie...the people stopped eating mid-motion and turned their heads toward the man who spoke such blasphemy.

They could not accept that a person not from Rochester not find it such an amazing place.

THat is not a dig...maybe it is a compliment on how much people like the town. I just am one of those who see it as ordinary.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:02 AM

121 posts, read 363,323 times
come visit the area and you'll be able to choose for yourself. If you really are doing a major relocation, that is the only way to decide. If I had listenend to what others had told me when I had to relocate, I'd be living in a vast wasteland of plastic houses with no culture or good dining, etc at all!
You know what you are looking for better than people on this board does!

Although I'd choose Buffalo, I think an "outsider" would choose Albany. It seems a bit more upscale and closer to the major cities and less depressed. Housing is more but you make more there too.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:05 AM

121 posts, read 363,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rug city View Post
You're confusing untrue with unflattering. What have I said that is untrue?- an opinion is an opinion, whether is it bashing or not. People make a sport of bashing the city I live in, and if they are making a point or are not abject morons, I simply agree to disagree- not question their intelligence or cultural literacy.

And by the way, Buffalo has the same Northern Cities Vowel Shift accent as the midwestern states- if it talks like a duck, walks like a duck....
Dialect issues again? Hmm, I always pick up on my Albany area friends with a distinct "Awl-bany" accent. Sounds a bit like the Coffee shop ladies from Saturday Night Live. But it is definitely not a NYC accent.

And not to be a toolbag here, but dude, you live in AMSTERDAM. Ok, enough said.

Last edited by iloveupstateny; 12-14-2007 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 06:46 PM

41 posts, read 133,090 times
I love Toronto. I love NYC also thought. Toronto is great because it is much more manigable than NYC. You can go and just check it out..NYC is way too much to take in, in one day.
I don't agree with the buffalo thing, buffalo has its best days behind it. when you think of rust belt cities...buffalo is right up there with scranton. it is hard to think of a city that evokes a more "rust belt" image than buffalo.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,976 times
I know this is an old post, but I figured I'd comment anyway for future readers.

I used to live in Albany (Pine Hills, Madison, Washington Park, downtown area) and I don't know what the previous poster is talking about, but they are NOT good about snow removal AT ALL. I'm talking not only about roads, but sidewalks too. Most of the time, snow is left to accumulate and even ice over. There is a law saying that residents are responsible for cleaning their own sidewalk, but it isn't enforced. Neither is the pooper-scooper law aimed at keeping the city clean.

People are generally not friendly and do not return a "hello" or smile when you give them one, while walking by. There is a high crime rate, with a fast-rising incidence of violent crimes, a lot of it targeted at college students. There also seems to be some very bizarre racial tension.

On a good note, Albany has some very, very, very good food (Van's, Gandhi, McGuire's, Jack's Oyster House, Elda's, Mammoun's, Al Baraki, etc.). Albany comes alive in the summertime with free concerts (LarkFest, TulipFest, Alive at Five) that have good bands you've actually heard of, interesting crafts and delicious street food. Park grounds are well-maintained, and the city's architecture is beautiful. It's a shame that the locals don't have enough pride in their city to care for it and care for each other. It's got a lot of potential.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:07 AM

33 posts, read 155,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
Ok first off, yes I am an agent in Buffalo, however, I used to be a regional sales manager that covered Albany to Buffalo, Albany was NOT my favorite place. I found it harder to get around than Buffalo, my managers were contstantly complaining of the schools in Albany and I did not find the people friendly - now, this is obviously MY opinion - I am sure you will find others to be more less opinionated on the area.
What I can do is tell you about Buffalo, or more the surrounding areas, the schools have always been rated top notch (Williamsville and Amherst) will your taxes be high> sure, but they will in Albany as well, you are still in NY. But as far as schooling, you will get what you pay for here in the Williamsville area. Amherst has always ranked #1 or #2 is the safest cities to live. In regard to quality of life, if you live in the burbs for schooling and want to visit the city, you are within probably 20 minutes to the city of Buffalo, a few hours from Toronto, 30 minutes from Niagara Falls and great beaches in the summer and if you like skiing 30 minutes from great skiing. Am I biased? Of course I am, however I find a lot to do here, the people are wonderful, (check the other posts of how many move back to this area and why)
You will find naysayers on here saying do not move here, ask specific questions and hopefully you will get specific answers.

Good luck on the job move!!!!
Colleen
I am curious...where is the "great skiing" 30 minutes from Buffalo?
Thanks

Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,265,092 times
Albany is boring. I also find Albany area residents to be more New Englander in attitude which isnt a good thing for any potential outsider/newcomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York