U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:05 PM

16 posts, read 78,094 times

Advertisements

Could anyone compare the two areas for me? I might have to relocate to one of the above 2 areas because of my job switch, we have 2 kids, so safety and schools are very important, and all other issues regarding quality of life are also important, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 11:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,646,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgeneral View Post
Could anyone compare the two areas for me? I might have to relocate to one of the above 2 areas because of my job switch, we have 2 kids, so safety and schools are very important, and all other issues regarding quality of life are also important, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ok first off, yes I am an agent in Buffalo, however, I used to be a regional sales manager that covered Albany to Buffalo, Albany was NOT my favorite place. I found it harder to get around than Buffalo, my managers were contstantly complaining of the schools in Albany and I did not find the people friendly - now, this is obviously MY opinion - I am sure you will find others to be more less opinionated on the area.
What I can do is tell you about Buffalo, or more the surrounding areas, the schools have always been rated top notch (Williamsville and Amherst) will your taxes be high> sure, but they will in Albany as well, you are still in NY. But as far as schooling, you will get what you pay for here in the Williamsville area. Amherst has always ranked #1 or #2 is the safest cities to live. In regard to quality of life, if you live in the burbs for schooling and want to visit the city, you are within probably 20 minutes to the city of Buffalo, a few hours from Toronto, 30 minutes from Niagara Falls and great beaches in the summer and if you like skiing 30 minutes from great skiing. Am I biased? Of course I am, however I find a lot to do here, the people are wonderful, (check the other posts of how many move back to this area and why)
You will find naysayers on here saying do not move here, ask specific questions and hopefully you will get specific answers.

Good luck on the job move!!!!
Colleen

Old 11-13-2007, 11:35 AM

3,234 posts, read 8,131,504 times
I am not from either city but have spent enough time in both places. Both places offer great suburban schools and safe suburban communities. If I had to choose I'd go with Buffalo just because its bigger and has more to do. It has major league sports teams, more activities, etc. Either way, both places are good.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM

16 posts, read 78,094 times
Thanks for your inputs. I did some search on the schools and house prices, the house prices are a bit more expensive in Albany area (Guilderland specifically) than Buffalo area (East Armherst, Williamsville specifically). As far as the schools go, a little confusing, both districts claim they are one of the best in state.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:35 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,097,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgeneral View Post
Thanks for your inputs. I did some search on the schools and house prices, the house prices are a bit more expensive in Albany area (Guilderland specifically) than Buffalo area (East Armherst, Williamsville specifically). As far as the schools go, a little confusing, both districts claim they are one of the best in state.
Go on the NY State Dept. of Education website and you can get the standings for each town and school system. Remember, some systems may be in other towns.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:04 AM

155 posts, read 811,128 times
Default Smallbany over Buffalow

Albany area will always be more stable than Buffalo, due to state gov't there. Winters are long & rough upstate, but Buffalo takes it to a different level- Albany is far more moderate.

Also, Albany is far more connected to the important major cities and cultural outlets- NYC, Boston, points south, and Saratoga & the Adirondacks. I would be real hesitant to move to an area that has been dying a slow death for many decades & is not in proximity to anything vibrant (and, no, I do not consider driving 3 plus hours even further north into the bowels of wintry Toronto a cultural outlet).

Buffalo's woes are well-documented and deeply ingrained. Even the name connotes images of a lone buffalo standing idle in a vast wintry barren field, facing extinction with an icicle hanging off his forlorn beard.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 AM

5,265 posts, read 15,684,895 times
What an ignorant comment.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 AM

155 posts, read 811,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
What an ignorant comment.
What in particular is ignorant? That Albany is not more stable (typically one of the lowest unemployment rates in US). That Albany is not more connected to major cities? That winters suck in Buffalo?

Your stock 'ignorant' response to anything unflattering of Buffalo just doesn't cut it. The poster wants truthful feedback & opinion: good, bad, & ugly.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 AM

3,234 posts, read 8,131,504 times
I find those comments to be off base. The winters in Albany and Buffalo are really not that different. Buffalo will get more snow but thats does not matter since they are good at removing it. A winter will be cold and windy no matter which city you are in upstate.
The comment about Toronto is very off base. It does not take more than 3 hours to get there from Buffalo(around 1.5 hours, 2 if the border is backed up). Toronto is a world renowned cultural area. Buffalo is closer to Toronto than Albany is to NYC or Boston. I never understood that argument anyways. Choosing an area because its a few hours away from a larger city never made sense to me. Most people aren't traveling every weekend to these places. The cultural activities inside the city you actualy live in should be more important and both places offer much to do in that sense( Buffalo more since its bigger).
Both areas aren't that great off economically, being a state capital is irrelevant. Government workers are subject to the same ups and downs private sector workers are. The poster already had a job anways.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:51 AM

623 posts, read 1,856,680 times
Buffalo is a tough town. Great music scene and good sports town....but it seems like it is on the wrong side of progress. Those blue-collar cities have a lot of charachter (Buffalo has much more than Albany)....but that doesnt always equate to a healthy economy. Albany has some really nasty pockets as well...but overall the region is at least growing and doing fairly well. The migration out of western NY has been going on for a while...and it doesnt look like that is going to stop anytime soon.

It may come down to what you are used to. Those big blue-collar cities up in the rust belt have really taken a beating. I'm not sure I would want to see all that blight and couple it with all that slate-gray winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York