U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 08:33 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,030,769 times

Advertisements

It's pretty hard to go wrong just about anywhere up here (Delaware, Otsego, Sullivan). Be aware of CAFO pollution Save Our Rural Communities - No CAFOs and don't get too close to large farms. There are isolated pockets of trailer parks, mining operations but for the most part it's clean, beautiful & quiet. There are greater restrictions on industrial usage inside Catskill Park so that might be a good option for you. Places like Phoenecia, Boiceville, Fleishmans, Margaretville, W. Hurley along 28 are very nice with progressive artsy communities and Hunter, Tannersville, Haines Falls are gorgeous if not spectacular with deep gorges and big falls. It's a ski area so winter can get a bit crazy.

Instead of buying why not build an ultra energy efficient home/super durable home like http://www.aidomes.com/default.html (broken link), Monolithic Dome Institute or Welcome to Domes International - The Shape of the Future/?

Last edited by geos; 11-17-2007 at 08:41 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 AM

417 posts, read 1,826,166 times
Geos posted some interesting links on domes (geodesic and otherwise), and personally I've always thought they were pretty cool, but there are detractors-

Domebuilder's Blues

I was pretty hyped up about maybe building a geodesic dome once, but then I read that and thought twice. Of course it doesn't mean a beautiful and efficient one can't be built, just that they are not the earth-saving miracle structures some think they are. But I do agree with Geos that you might consider buying land and building, though it definitely can be more complicated. You could really take the DIY to the limit and build something like this:

A Low Impact Woodland Home

Of course the way the building codes are written I doubt you could get approval for such a structure as something to 'live' in, but there are a lot of people experimenting and doing interesting stuff under-the-radar with revived natural and 'traditional' building methods. We were going to do a timber frame/strawbale infill house on our property, but discovered that the run-down little farmhouse already on it was actually very solid and so we went the route of renovating and making it as efficient as possible. We're hoping to break ground on a more natural/progressive cabin for the inlaws somewhere on the land in the next year or so.

The two big drawbacks to the area are lack of public transportation accessibility and braodband accessibility. There are a lot of rural areas where satellite is the only (and very $$) option. Maybe with cell-tower proliferation connecting that way will become viable soon, but also likely quite expensive. If you are in a town you have options.

And here's another CAFO link with an interactive map:

Food & Water Watch

Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 AM

59 posts, read 220,246 times
Wow thanks geo n honey for all the great info. I would love to be able to build from scratch but we want to move sooner, before work gets busier. Hopefully we can modify the home to be energy efficient or save up for land and build a dome then. I know exactly what u r talking about we have been looking at domes and green homes..... there was one in our price range upstate but not big enough for our kids, you dont see many of them for sale!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 AM

417 posts, read 1,826,166 times
What sort of work do you do? Just curious how various folks make ends meet in rural NYS. I'm stuck still spending a few days every week down in NYC and trying to organize my career so I can make it a few days every month (or figure out a new career)!

Old 11-18-2007, 03:13 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,030,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Geos posted some interesting links on domes (geodesic and otherwise), and personally I've always thought they were pretty cool, but there are detractors-

Domebuilder's Blues

I was pretty hyped up about maybe building a geodesic dome once, but then I read that and thought twice. Of course it doesn't mean a beautiful and efficient one can't be built, just that they are not the earth-saving miracle structures some think they are. But I do agree with Geos that you might consider buying land and building, though it definitely can be more complicated. You could really take the DIY to the limit and build something like this:
[/url]
The beauty of the AI system is exterior, insulation and wallboard are all integrated. There's more taping the seams of course but that's a small price to pay. A proper HVAC system will take care of any ventilation issues like humidity or stratification. There are no shingles; it's all concrete on the outside. The only maintenance is repainting every 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York