U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,164 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to the Plattsburgh area. I now live in Essex Junction and work in Williston but alas cannot afford to buy any houses within the area. I would kept my job in Vermont and commute via the ferry to my job here. Anyone know any issues that may arise from doing this. Pro's and con's? The winter commute? Home's seem much more reasonable in the Plattsburgh area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 PM

518 posts, read 1,934,413 times
Post The ferry is crowded..............

with people who do exactly what you are doing. There is a new subdivision (actually two) being built on Cumberland Head (right at the ferry crossing near lake) and a realtor I know says that many of the people building those homes are Vermonters who want a nice home, but can't afford it in Vermont. I know several IBMers and a couple of Verizon peeps and some Fletcher Allen nurses who live in NY but work in VT. You see them getting on and off the ferry. Some even have a "junk" car that they keep on one side of the lake to get them to the ferry and keep their regular car on the other side of lake so they only pay the $3 walk-on passenger fee, NOT the car plus driver fee................I think there are more people doing this than you might even imagine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: