U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM

11,882 posts, read 12,017,575 times

Advertisements

I really love the natural environment in upstate ny. It is so refreshing and fills me with a sense of joy. I also like the rich history across the entire state. However, I keep hearing that there is no possibility of economic growth and development in Upstate NY. Is this true, or is it just another rumor. I love parks and recreation a lot, and certain areas in upstate NY is like heaven on earth. I especially like the Saratoga springs area a lot, and would like to eventually settle down there. However, I am worried about the economic conditions in upstate NY, and don't know if jobs are easy to get and pay enough to lead a comfortable life. I have applied for several engineering companies with offices in NY state, but are they willing to hire for a decent pay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM

63,304 posts, read 88,796,451 times
For those interested in Technology and Economic activity in Upstate NY...

Upstate NY job openings......

Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM

Also, are you open to other parts of Upstate NY?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,846,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I really love the natural environment in upstate ny. It is so refreshing and fills me with a sense of joy. I also like the rich history across the entire state. However, I keep hearing that there is no possibility of economic growth and development in Upstate NY. Is this true, or is it just another rumor. I love parks and recreation a lot, and certain areas in upstate NY is like heaven on earth. I especially like the Saratoga springs area a lot, and would like to eventually settle down there. However, I am worried about the economic conditions in upstate NY, and don't know if jobs are easy to get and pay enough to lead a comfortable life. I have applied for several engineering companies with offices in NY state, but are they willing to hire for a decent pay.
I don't think that an engineer or other technically trained/experienced individual would have too much difficulty finding acceptable employment in the big Upstate Metros: Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. Finding technical jobs in smaller metros may be more difficult because they have smaller populations and smaller economies. Remember that while salaries may be less than in areas closer to the coast, the COL is significantly less, too.

Much of the whining about economic growth and development in Upstate NY, especially on the web, comes from individuals who have never lived elsewhere (and assume the grass is always greener anywhere but "here") and/or are lacking in marketable skills. Blue collar manufacturing jobs, which used to be the economic backbone of Upstate NY, continue to disappear, primarily because of automation/closing of out-dated facilities. That's not going to change and it's the same pretty much true everywhere in the country.

Jobs that are dependent on an influx of population, such as the building trades, are going to be limited. There are not thousands of new subdivisions a year being built annually as there are/were in some parts of the country like Florida, Las Vegas, California, etc. However, there have numerous smaller projects, particularly, the rehabbing and conversion of historic buildings.

Engineers, IT people, and medical/scientific personnel etc are in demand (for example, my employer has struggled to fill even entry-level technical positions over the last year) in most parts of Upstate. If you are interested in living in Saratoga, that county is one of the fastest growing counties in NYS. It's also within commuting distance to the state capital, Albany, which has a very stable economic base because of the presence of the state government.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Also for engineering jobs in smaller areas, look into NY Air Brake in Watertown, Novalis and Exelon in Oswego, ITT/Gould Pumps in Seneca Falls, Raymond Corporation in Greene and perhaps some the companies in the Ithaca area, among some others.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,846,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also for engineering jobs in smaller areas, look into NY Air Brake in Watertown, Novalis and Exelon in Oswego, ITT/Gould Pumps in Seneca Falls, Raymond Corporation in Greene and perhaps some the companies in the Ithaca area, among some others.
Cummins Engine in Ashville, NY has engineering positions just west of Jamestown in the far southwestern corner of the state.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Cummins Engine in Ashville, NY has engineering positions just west of Jamestown in the far southwestern corner of the state.
I believe that Eaton in Olean and Corning Inc. in the Corning area may also have some Engineering job openings too. Dresser-Rand also has Engineering jobs in Olean, Painted Post and Wellsville. Alstrom has some openings in Hornell. Pall Corporation in Cortland has some openings as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-21-2013 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM

How is OLED works in Rochester doing. My undergraduate research project involves manufacturing processes for OLED's, and I have worked with LED designs during my 50 day internship at Ashok Leyland. A company that I can establish myself well would be very beneficial.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, are you open to other parts of Upstate NY?
Yes, as long as there is no economic depression and excessive corruption like Camden and parts of South Jersey. Economy and unemployment is horrendous down there (close to 13 %) and the government is doing nothing about it. North Jersey and lower Hudson valley COL is too high, which is another reason I am willing to go upstate. Although, I don't want to be too far away from the city in the middle of nowhere.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM

I think you could find something in many areas up here, but it may be a matter of other factors. Being from Central Jersey and of a South Asian background, if you want places that are similar, you may like Ithaca and parts of places like Brighton, Amherst, Williamsville/East Amherst, DeWitt, Manlius, Vestal, New Hartford, Colonie, Niskayuna and maybe some others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or