Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,736 times

Advertisements

We’re looking to move to an upstate NY community where we could rent a spacious 1 bedroom, or a 2 bedroom apartment or house for $850/month or hopefully less.

We run our own online small business, so we don’t need to be able to commute to NYC. We simply need an affordable, hopefully artsy town so we have some time/financial slack to grow the business.

I’m beginning to think it’s impossible, but thought I’d ask.

In terms of what we are looking for:
- affordable rent
- artsy/artisan feeling with decent restaurants within driving distance
- safe (can walk at night if possible)
- quick access to scenic views. We love the mountains.
- comfortable for a mixed race couple
- small town but with a main street/downtown area
- good hospitals and medical care nearby (that would be a plus)

We don’t have children, so we don’t need good school districts. And we don’t go out that often, so we don’t need an active nightlife scene. We’re in our late 30s/early 40s.

We also really liked Jim Thorpe, PA, if that helps to give a sense of what we are looking for.

I’d appreciate any thoughts or places we should check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 04:54 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Consider bigger upstate metros like Buffalo, Syracuse or Albany.

Smaller cities/town outside the big metros include college towns like Ithaca (Cornell/Ithaca College), Dunkirk/Fredonia (Fredonia State), Geneseo (Geneseo State), or Hamilton (Colgate), etc.

You could also try my little city, Jamestown, which has a surprisingly strong arts community and very low housing prices. It's on the southern end of Chautauqua Lake about 30 miles from Allegany State Park and the Allegheny National Forest. We do tend to get a lot of snow, however.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:36 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Consider bigger upstate metros like Buffalo, Syracuse or Albany.

Smaller cities/town outside the big metros include college towns like Ithaca (Cornell/Ithaca College), Dunkirk/Fredonia (Fredonia State), Geneseo (Geneseo State), or Hamilton (Colgate), etc.

You could also try my little city, Jamestown, which has a surprisingly strong arts community and very low housing prices. It's on the southern end of Chautauqua Lake about 30 miles from Allegany State Park and the Allegheny National Forest. We do tend to get a lot of snow, however.
^This....To the OP, there are actually quite a few places that can work, but how far Upstate are you willing to go? You may even like something in metros like Utica-Rome and Binghamton too. Places like Plattsburgh, Oneonta and maybe even Glens Falls could work, as all three are near mountains and fit much of the other criteria. There are other places that could work as well, but it will depend on what you are looking for.

If you came to Syracuse, I'd say to look into Westcott/University Hill area of the East Side, a few places in Downtown and maybe specific neighborhoods just outside of Downtown. As for a small town/cities in the area, Downtown Auburn, Downtown Oswego, village of Liverpool and the aforementioned Hamilton.

You have places like Geneva and Corning that come to mind as well.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Thanks so much for these suggestions!

ckhthankgod: In terms of how far upstate we'd go, I'm not a huge fan of very cold. But I'm a homebody and would be interested in visiting any place that matches what we are looking for and what we can afford.

Also we would be fine with a small town or village (under 7,000 or 5,000 pop and smaller). We don't need to live in a city if we can drive to one.

Glen Falls was on our list. So it's good to know we are on the right track!

Oneonta seems like it might be nice too!

College towns are great if there's artsyness(is that a word?!) beyond what just the college provides...does that make sense? We visited some lovely college towns in PA. But without the college there wouldn't be much going on in the town in those cases.

Is that the same in some of these upstate NY towns?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukajoe View Post
Thanks so much for these suggestions!

ckhthankgod: In terms of how far upstate we'd go, I'm not a huge fan of very cold. But I'm a homebody and would be interested in visiting any place that matches what we are looking for and what we can afford.

Also we would be fine with a small town or village (under 7,000 or 5,000 pop and smaller). We don't need to live in a city if we can drive to one.

Glen Falls was on our list. So it's good to know we are on the right track!

Oneonta seems like it might be nice too!

College towns are great if there's artsyness(is that a word?!) beyond what just the college provides...does that make sense? We visited some lovely college towns in PA. But without the college there wouldn't be much going on in the town in those cases.

Is that the same in some of these upstate NY towns?
I think it depends on the town. At that size requirement, you may like these places:
Center for the Arts
Welcome to Homer Village
Homer (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lake Ontario Playhouse - home
Home
Sackets Harbor, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, Oneida County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Clinton, NY Art & Music Festival
Kirkland Art Center
theredartgallery
Gallery North - Home
Academy of Performing and Creative Arts
The Ruth and Elmer Wellin Museum of Art at Hamilton College

Hamilton (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York
www.hamiltoncenterforthearts.com
The Palace Theater - Hamilton, NY - Colgate University - Performing Arts Center
HAMILTON MOVIE THEATER - Movies, Film Series, Opera, Special Events & More
Hamilton NY | Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - - Arts/Crafts/Framing
Owego (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Owego Homepage
Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

You may want to look into Potsdam, Canton and Ticonderoga, among some others.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:43 PM

10 posts, read 35,718 times
Yes. Absolutely. For about $850 I am sure you can buy an upstate city. Take Binghamton! Please. If you have $850 you probably have more money than the mayor and if you can count that high you certainly have more smarts than he does.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:41 PM

386 posts, read 668,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titiansruleu View Post
For about $850 I am sure you can buy an upstate city.
Yeah cities are cheap these days

Old 11-17-2013, 07:07 PM

This may help too: Approved, Candidate, Disqualified and Shame List, best small towns - New York

Here are a couple more that may work: Trumansburg Area Chamber of Commerce
Village of Trumansburg

Aurora Arts and Merchants Association
Village of Aurora
Wells College Home

Old 11-18-2013, 05:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
Other possible small towns are Naples (no college but still kinda artsy, very scenic, finger lakes area) and Angelica (artsy & beautiful, a bit isolated, no college but somewhat close to Alfred).

Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 AM

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

We found a place in Catskill NY for exactly $850 and are moving there. Plus there are great restaurants across the bridge in Hudson so it seems perfect for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York