Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 PM

417 posts, read 1,886,157 times

Advertisements

I was born and spent early childhood in upstate NY- haven't lived there in decades, but travel around upstate often, have family scattered around there and feel a certain 'pull' from the area. Perhaps it's romanticism of that upstate childhood, but a rural existence is more appealing to me than life in NYC, so we're doing a little looking around and would be interested in hearing from folks who live or have lived in Delaware County. We have interests in green building and permaculture farming, sustainability, small-scale stuff, open-minded and not at all convinced that New York City is the center of the universe (as seems to be the typical city-dweller attitude!). Wondering about others' experiences integrating into upstate life/community, etc., and also if anyone has any experience building 'green' (strawbale, timber frame, cordwood, etc.) in Delaware Co. (code officials enthusiastic? resistant? indifferent?).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2006, 07:35 PM

275 posts, read 789,258 times
Default Re:Sidney/Delhi, Delaware Co. impressions

I had a house in Roxbury in the mid to late 70s. Absolutely loved the place. Would go back there in a heartbeat except I think the price of houses has skyrocketed. I also liked Oneonta but that is in Otsego County.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:09 AM

Default Catskills and north

Yes, the area around Andes and Delhi (not too far from Roxbury) has started to see significantly rising prices (well, everywhere has really....). Roxbury is (in theory!) just about 3 hours from NYC, which still seems to be the distance beyond which prices start to come down a bit, though if demand keeps up the acceptable distance from NYC for weekenders will probably keep creeping farther. Of course that has to be balanced with rising gas prices.... We can't afford to buy within that 3-hour range, so we're looking further afield.

Sidney seems very economically depressed, but a nice area not yet being bought up and 'renovated' by Manhattanites. Still would like to hear from anyone living there!

Old 04-25-2006, 04:30 PM

10 posts, read 36,974 times
Sidney is one of the better off towns in Delaware Co.
Thats not saying much it is a poor area. Be carefully what a real estate agent says. Many a city person has paid double what a local would.
That said prices for standard things are not cheaper in the country.
Taxes are high for what you get due to most of the manufacturing jobs having gone over seas or down south.
Sidney has one of the best schools for the entire country
People are nice, but not any more so than anywhere else. You are not likely to get shoot on the street, but you may get a Homer Simpson neighbor, had to check his garage for my lawn mower, or tools.
If you are looking for that quite house on a dead end road, be smart, is there a little snowmobile sign, or 4 wheeler marks, this may mean that on the weekend, it may be like living next to a freeway on ramp, and no one has a muffler.
It is also a very Republican area. Trash collection is something you contract with a individual for. and don't try to convince the locals on what a benefit it would be, for it to be a Gov run thing.
I have had some wonderful neighbors who moved up from N.Y. They would go to the town board meetings and present some great ideas, which did nothing but got somebody's feathers ruffled, and got there taxes raised. Remember that farmer is his dirty clothes may be related, or is the code inspector. Politics is dirty no matter where you live
I hope I did not seem to negative, I love it here, and would not live in a major city for anything. I have, and the country has so much more to offer in my opinion.
If you like being able to drive down to the ice creme stand, then parking next to the river, laying there in the sun, or walking in the 1000s of acres of state forest, and never seeing another soul, Or going to Wall mart and having the employees out number the customers, (happened last night in Norwich NY).
chasing Deer out of your garden

Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 AM

Thanks for some good info and points. Having lived in pretty rural locations throughout most of my childhood and up through highschool I don't think I'm under too much illusion about 'quaint country life.' If anything I had illusions about living in a big city and now I want out of it. Of course it's only been by living and working in a big city that I might be able to afford to leave it.....
The snowmobiles and ATVs are an excellent point that I hadn't really thought of (and I should have- one place I lived in MN was very much like a freeway on ramp all winter long and often late into the night). Maybe global warming and rising gas prices will take care of that potential problem (though I won't count on it)!

Since you know the area well, let me ask a specific question- happen to know any haulers/wreckers/recyclers to talk to about getting rid of a derelict mobile home there?

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2006, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 16,142 times
I am from the Albany area so don't know much about the Delhi region. However, since you mentioned green farming etc., there is a farmers' market in Troy, NY (Removed) that is dominated by organic vegetablers, meaters, cheesers, breaders, etc. Perhaps visting them could open some doors.

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2006 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-26-2006, 10:59 PM

Since DUI became common the drunks have switched to the 4 wheelers and snowmobiles.

The trailer if you are lucky, Someone may want it for storage, or camp trailer, depends on how bad it is.
If not I am fairly sure you could get some one to scrap it for you, for a couple hundred and the salvage from it.

The telco name is Frontier a citizen communication company. For the area around Sidney.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:30 AM

Default Major Flooding

It is late I will add this quickly.
We have had the all time record flood in this area. Most of downtown Sidney has been damaged and is still closed off. The same goes for Bainbridge. Walton, Hancock and many others.
Please look carefully at any homes you may buy.
Travel is difficult with many roads still washed out including the interstate.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:46 PM

79 posts, read 358,314 times
How about the Stamford NY Area? looks like a nice town w/ nice homes on the Real estate sites. We are planing a trip this fall. What other towns to Explore?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Major Flooding

Well, we'd already contracted to buy in Unadilla not long before the flooding, but luckily the property is up fairly high on a hillside. Luth, do you happen to know what roads into Unadilla and Sidney are still closed? I'm guessing that 206 through Walton probably isn't a good idea, but how about rt 8 up from Deposit?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York