Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times

Advertisements

If I left right now I could be in downtown Oneida in a couple minutes.

I could show you what used to be where maybe. I'm not from here but I have asked. It's about dark now and you don't wanna be there after dark.

Herkimer where I spent a lot of time js the same way. Get a tat or a nice little glass bowl to smoke some weed. Nothing else.

Moving bigger downtown Utica has some life but not a lot. And a lot of what is there may not be what your looking for. Or maybe it is who am I to judge. Downtown Syracse is a well preserved ghost town. It's like one of those bombs feel that kill all the people but leave the buildings. Now that I think about it they could film Walking Dead in Syracuse without clearing the people out.

And it's like that all over the state.

I do not know nor have I ever known a person from Upstate that don't drive. I do know people from the city that didn't until they moved up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
But you have a town center not the sprawl of us southern locations....

No one is saying sprawl doesn't exist to a degree and I mentioned Downstate already, but even in Upstate, commutes are shorter.

Also, if you believe that post to a T, then I don't know what to tell you. No one said that other areas don't have walkability, but the information does give an idea about car dependence. There are plenty of places that aren't tourist areas and don't have the exaggerated description mentioned. I can think of some in this county, let alone others.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
If I left right now I could be in downtown Oneida in a couple minutes.

I could show you what used to be where maybe. I'm not from here but I have asked. It's about dark now and you don't wanna be there after dark.

Herkimer where I spent a lot of time js the same way. Get a tat or a nice little glass bowl to smoke some weed. Nothing else.

Moving bigger downtown Utica has some life but not a lot. And a lot of what is there may not be what your looking for. Or maybe it is who am I to judge. Downtown Syracse is a well preserved ghost town. It's like one of those bombs feel that kill all the people but leave the buildings. Now that I think about it they could film Walking Dead in Syracuse without clearing the people out.

And it's like that all over the state.

I do not know nor have I ever known a person from Upstate that don't drive. I do know people from the city that didn't until they moved up here.
You do know that downtowns aren't the only examples of walkability and I take it that you've never been to Marcellus, Skaneateles, Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Oswego and others in this area that have a decent degree of walkability and even access to public transportation.

Again, the degree of driving is a bit different even up here.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce711 View Post
I'm sure New York City's large population throws that study off a bit. I've met very few people from there who even have their drivers license. It's simply impractical to own a car down there. But there are definitely many many places around this state where you have to drive at least 30 minutes to get anywhere, even to the nearest Walmart.
Most NYC residents have driver's licenses which are used as id. even they don't own a car.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:28 PM

245 posts, read 431,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Most NYC residents have driver's licenses which are used as id. even they don't own a car.
The ones that I've met have their permits which they use as IDs, but not their full-blown licenses.

I live upstate, near the Capital Region, and my aunt lives about a half an hour to 45 minutes away. She visits me once about every two weeks, though, not only because I'm just such an awesome nephew, but because she goes to my local Walmart, because mine is the closest to her. So she drives 30 to 45 minutes just to go to Walmart. And she isn't alone.

We had names for them growing up... "The hill people." They drive down from the hills to the south into civilization in their beat up old gas guzzling trucks and load up on goods. They were often dirty and smelled of manure. It was best to avoid them. But these were whole hoards of people driving great distances regularly just to do their shopping, not to go sightseeing or anything. I think having NYC in our state, which holds at least 2/3 of the total population of the state, greatly influences the findings in that study.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce711 View Post
The ones that I've met have their permits which they use as IDs, but not their full-blown licenses.

I live upstate, near the Capital Region, and my aunt lives about a half an hour to 45 minutes away. She visits me once about every two weeks, though, not only because I'm just such an awesome nephew, but because she goes to my local Walmart, because mine is the closest to her. So she drives 30 to 45 minutes just to go to Walmart. And she isn't alone.

We had names for them growing up... "The hill people." They drive down from the hills to the south into civilization in their beat up old gas guzzling trucks and load up on goods. They were often dirty and smelled of manure. It was best to avoid them. But these were whole hoards of people driving great distances regularly just to do their shopping, not to go sightseeing or anything. I think having NYC in our state, which holds at least 2/3 of the total population of the state, greatly influences the findings in that study.
It does, but even the Upstate metros have shorter commutes on average and are easy to navigate. That example is rare even for Upstate NY, as even small cities have enough to where many people just go there. Heck, even some Canadians go to Watertown or Plattsburgh to shop, for a couple of examples.

Ironically, Alaska is first, if you look at the study.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No one is saying sprawl doesn't exist to a degree and I mentioned Downstate already, but even in Upstate, commutes are shorter.

Also, if you believe that post to a T, then I don't know what to tell you. No one said that other areas don't have walkability, but the information does give an idea about car dependence. There are plenty of places that aren't tourist areas and don't have the exaggerated description mentioned. I can think of some in this county, let alone others.
This was a joke, my prior post to this one explains why I think NY scored the way she did. Upstate commutes are shorter, than where? Watching the traffic in/out of Albany on a week day they are traveling the same as those heading into Richmond or Charlotte. You give alot of value to walkable downtowns but most in the burbs regardless of location want a shopping center with a supermarket etc.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
This was a joke, my prior post to this one explains why I think NY scored the way she did. Upstate commutes are shorter, than where? Watching the traffic in/out of Albany on a week day they are traveling the same as those heading into Richmond or Charlotte. You give alot of value to walkable downtowns but most in the burbs regardless of location want a shopping center with a supermarket etc.
On average commutes are shorter in the Upstate metros than many other metros. Syracuse and Pennsylvania town are East's best spots for commuters - The Business Journals

The Business Journals On Numbers - The Business Journals

Also, many of the cities and villages were development before the existence of cars. While you can find typical suburbia, you also have communities with an older built environment and sprawl from the center city isn't as pronounced versus areas that have been developed later/around the use of a car.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:36 PM

197 posts, read 636,070 times
Considering about 40% lives in NYC and about 60% in the metro area( most densely populated, City and metro in USA), thats not hard to believe at all

Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 PM

195 posts, read 347,848 times
really not a surprise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York