Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 03:31 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,950 times

Advertisements

I strongly suggest you invest in a good set of snow tires. Your Bimmer should be able to handle most situations provided you have the proper rubber. Do not attempt to drive on high perfomance tires in the snow, or for that matter when the temps dip much below 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 05:33 PM

130 posts, read 173,149 times
Default Black Ice, Dry Gas & Caution

Hi mikehawk-

A couple of things (and I haven't checked the weather report yet--this is a warning for bad weather and cold conditions)

1.) I use "dry gas" in the winter, which is a fuel additive one pours in the gas tank as you fill up. It's readily available in the northern areas at convenience stores and takes care of any H20 build up in the tank (which I have been told is a natural occurrence) and keeps it from from messing up your lines. *How* this might effect a car such as yours---I don't know. I'm sure others can contribute on the wisdom of using dry gas in a BMW or Audi. Better yet, check with a mechanic. (I have a Dodge and a Ford). I DO, however, know that when the temperatures drop *severely* people who don't use dry gas get major starting problems. My husband also changes out the oil in the winter and puts a thicker grade in our older vehicle (the plow truck--ie, it's NOT "a fine driving machine," but a work-horse that we rely on!).

2.) Yes--Black Ice. It can be deadly, and does occur on the I81 as well as secondary roads. DRIVE CAUTIOUSLY. This is not the time to day dream and pretend you're on the Autobaun!

3.) Ok, all the men in the group will probably call me "a worry wart" but I seriously do this in the winter. I travel secondary roads, and this has actually SAVED me on one occasion when I went off the road in the middle of no-where during a snow storm: Keep in the vehcle: Flares and regular "road saftey gear"--Then add a set of long underwear, LL Bean winter waterproof thermal boots, and make SURE you have a thick parka with you. IF by some chance you go off the road, it can be A LONG WALK TO THE NEAREST FARM HOUSE. And cell phone calls for help? It may take a looooong time for help to get there... (It took 45 minutes for a sherrif to arrive for me. He was busy helping OTHER motorists he found along the way, who were in worse starits than I was!) that set of long-johns and a pair of good snow boots will be the best $75 investment you can make. Besides, unless you plan on spending your entire trip indoors...you'll get use out of them!

Much luck on your trip,
Make sure to see the lights on the lake in 'Cuse!

Peace and Justice,
Ham Sandwich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York