Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:30 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
"what the top schools are within 3 hrs of nyc, looking to be 1 1/2-3 hrs away."

"Rochester suburbs has one of the top schools in the nation, namely Brighton with surrounding ones like HFL/Pittsford/Fairport running a close 2nd.....the private schools are top-notch too..."

I suppose Rochester is 3 hours from NYC? lol....

Try Loudonville, Guilderland, Saratoga Springs, Woodstock, Rondout Valley. Just a wee bit closer....
And not considered upstate are they lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 03:22 PM

640 posts, read 2,011,682 times
Woodstock and Roundout..are considered upstate.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
no.....presence of New York/East Coast accent= not really upstate NY.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:16 AM

How open minded...so using your "informed" logic, you think Syracuse University and the University of Rochester, SUNY Buffalo, Geneseo...all FILLED with accented New Yorkers (and contributers to your local ecomomy)..couldnt possibly be considered upstate...

I bet you think Kodak is still the king of photography too...

Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 AM

no; despite your ignorant stereotype; nobody here (Except for the executives) has thought that Kodak was a "king" company for decades. Yes, the people in the universities upstate who are from downstate have the NYC area accent. And they are from the NYC area. What exactly is your point in that? They don't consider themesleves upstate NY'ers any more than you do. Doesn't it get boring making up ridiculous ways to bash an area you've never even lived in before?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:12 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
no; despite your ignorant stereotype; nobody here (Except for the executives) has thought that Kodak was a "king" company for decades. Yes, the people in the universities upstate who are from downstate have the NYC area accent. And they are from the NYC area. What exactly is your point in that? They don't consider themesleves upstate NY'ers any more than you do. Doesn't it get boring making up ridiculous ways to bash an area you've never even lived in before?
Amen to that. The poster might also consider that after school is done, 90% or more of the accented NYers go home or to lucrative jobs in pricy locales. BTW, a good amount of the students at any of the universites he cites are from areas other than NYC and many are foreign. They are all good for the area; however, I'd rather see the NYC group leave ( I was raised down there and never realized how repulsive they could be "en masse" stressing the accent to show their "identity".... thank God my parents made sure I never spoke with the accent; people always thought I was a Canadian for years -- much more acceptable to a Buffalonian than a NYer! OTOH, no one has asked me in years!)

Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM

"Doesn't it get boring making up ridiculous ways to bash an area you've never even lived in before?"

Au contraire...its easy to bash ignorance...

My quote: "Woodstock and Roundout..are considered upstate.'
Your quote: "no.....presence of New York/East Coast accent= not really upstate NY."

Really...because a "presence" of an East Coast/NYC "accent" doesnt make it upstate???

I wonder if rugcity is reading this....his comments were soooo true..

Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 AM

ok, let me see if I can say this slow.

Student populations in upstate universities make up a very small proportion of the regions total population to begin with

The percentage of students from downstate in any of the upstate schools is at best, maybe 50%.

The areas where the New York accent is spoken, which is pretty much everything southeast of the Castkills ,that I was referring to is where the NATIVE people who have lived there all of their lives, and are not just there or 4 years for college, are NOT upstate (i apologize for the run-on sentance).

So I now ask you to pleas keep the coy "more educated than thou" response you may have to yourself because I really don't care to read it or to continue this ridiculous "argument".

Old 01-23-2008, 06:51 AM

6 posts, read 19,491 times
I live near that region you are talking about.
The albany region is very nice if you find the right town. Nisky is very nice. I had friends that graduated from there and loved it.

SUNY New Paltz is located about halfway between albany and NYC, and has a EXCELLENT art program.

SUNY Albany has a lot to offer too, as well as St. Rose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York