Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 02:06 PM

13 posts, read 18,090 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

New to this forum, so be gentle!

So my wife and I are looking for a change in our lives. Since going through immigration hell for the last year and a half, we are currently living in a small town an hour from Kansas City, Missouri. I arrived/was reunited with my wife in June 2013 and we are now ready to commit to a big move.

I am currently pursuing a career in acting and writing. While acting is the main priority, I focus my spare time on writing for the stage or screen. I would like to start doing more TV/Film acting, as I have done a great deal of theatre in the past. My wife is a student co-ordinator for a university and looking to have a similar position in a bigger university/college.

The main question is- out of NYC, LA, or Chicago, which would be ideally suited for our first move?

Some points to mention:

1) I am originally from the UK, and have hardly driven in the US since arriving to the US in June 2013.
2) My acting resume is a work-in-progress. I have few professional credits, so hoping this new area would help build it up!
3) My wife has reservations about the lack of public transport in LA- doesn't want to spend her life in a car!
4) We have about $30,000 in savings for the move.
5) I have concerns about lack of TV/Film opportunities in the Chicago...hoping can clear that up.

The fourth option is to move into the heart of Kansas City! But my concern there is having the lack of opportunities that the other cities would offer.

Any advice/thought would be greatly appreciated!

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 PM

224 posts, read 675,775 times
I worked with many creative people at a former advertising job. All of the ones who are doing really well--one writer for 30 Rock; one writer for The Mentalist--moved to Los Angeles. Another writer buddy moved to L.A. as well and is having successful albeit not on the level described above. The guys doing well in New York City act in commercials and do voiceover work. I don't know anyone who moved to Chicago.

From the little I know, and my experience with these people, New York City is the place to be for theater, advertising and modeling. Los Angeles is the place to be for anything TV or film-related.

Best of luck.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM

224 posts, read 675,775 times
Also, L.A. is more affordable than New York City, where that $30 K will last you two years max. Chicago is very affordable.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
You would certainly need to drive everywhere in Kansas City. I can't imagine there would be much outside of regional theater.

If you really want to write for movies and TV, then LA is what you want. Many shows are written in LA or produced out of LA even if they are filmed in NY. NY is better for theater, broadcast journalism, commercials, Indie films. There are TV talk/comedy shows produced in NYC that need writers. Chicago has Second City if you are into comedy writing and acting. You need to find yourself an agent. Neither NY or LA are as expensive as London, but NY is definitely higher than LA or Chicago.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:20 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
You might get more replies if you post this on the NYC forum rather than the NY state forum.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
If you want to be a screen actor, you really need to reside in the LA area, the epicenter of the entertainment industry. You have to be available on short notice to answer "casting calls." These auditions are not only for major motion pictures but also for TV dramas/sitcoms, commercials and "voice overs."

There are a huge number of aspiring screen and TV writers and you don't have to live in LA to be successful, but it's easier to pitch a story to a producer or agent if you live closeby. The chance of anyone's breaking into the big time in screen acting or writing is very small, but you've got to give it a try.

There are many more job opportunities "behind the camera," offering steadier work. Just look at the credits at the end of a movie and you'll see literally hundreds of names. Good Luck.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,673 times
Depends on what you are looking for in life. I have known people that came out of the Chicago theater scene and said it was great as an artist. Chicago does have over 300 storefront theaters and tons of regional theaters. The only issue is majority of the theater work in Chicago doesn't pay unless your working for big theaters like Steppenwolf or Goodman. Chicago is a affordable town. For a decent place in Chicago your looking around $1,000/month. North of Chicago have some good areas.
The theater scene in New York has tons of musicals and some plays here and there. New York theater has become very commercialized and has tons of musicals. Majority of the roles that are on Broadway or off-broadway are given to celebrities first. I'm not saying there is no opportunity in New York, by all means, there is tons of Off-off broadway and regional theaters that come to New York to help out the unknown artists. Majority of the plays that are being done are coming from Hollywood. Due to the economy majority of the producers are picking celebrities so they can surpass their budget for the musical or play. New York is twice as expensive as Los Angeles. Los Angeles is congested and expensive as well. Hollywood is more of a business and networking town. If you want to be a writer, you really should start networking. Start writing now and submitting them for pilot season in January.
Los Angeles you will need a car, insurance, gas etc. A good place to live in Los Angeles is the South Bay, Culver City, Torrance, etc. For a decent place in Los Angeles your looking at 1100-1400 a month. Or you can check out Northridge, Van Nuys or further away north of Hollywood.
Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York