Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM

93,281 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
No way, we are going to save tons when we move to FL.

Our electric rates are among the highest in the nation. 14 cents per kw hour, my moms in Miami is like eight cents per kw hour.

Car inspection every year 22.00, plate fee every two years 94 dollars.

Sales tax 8.25 percent.

State income taxes. Property and school taxes on a one bedroom cottage 1800 dollars a year.

Heating oil 3.89/gallon x 500 gallons a year, and that's for a 1200 square foot house that is really well insulated with 2x6 studded walls and Andersen dual pane windows.

It would be cheaper in a city like Orlando, but we're looking in Levy/Ghilchrist county so it will be less.
You can search through other threads that discuss this, but unless the part of "Upstate" you live in is within an hour or so of NYC, the overall COL is roughly a wash, give or take. It will depend on what you are comparing in terms similar places in their respective areas too.

Then, the pay aspect probably comes into play as well.

Plattsburgh has its own power company, by way of NYPA, which has lower rates.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-23-2013 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
No way, we are going to save tons when we move to FL.

Our electric rates are among the highest in the nation. 14 cents per kw hour, my moms in Miami is like eight cents per kw hour.

Car inspection every year 22.00, plate fee every two years 94 dollars.

Sales tax 8.25 percent.

State income taxes. Property and school taxes on a one bedroom cottage 1800 dollars a year.

Heating oil 3.89/gallon x 500 gallons a year, and that's for a 1200 square foot house that is really well insulated with 2x6 studded walls and Andersen dual pane windows.

It would be cheaper in a city like Orlando, but we're looking in Levy/Ghilchrist county so it will be less.
Have you ever to Florida in the summer. It's horrible. At least in upstate NY you can dress warmly and deal with the cold. So plan to spend lots of time inside because you have no alternative. And it's flat and ugly, and full of nuclear cockroaches.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
I grew up in Miami.

Have you ever spent a winter in Lake George? We just had two weeks of 15F high temps. You don't dress for that, you run from house to car to building.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I grew up in Miami.

Have you ever spent a winter in Lake George? We just had two weeks of 15F high temps. You don't dress for that, you run from house to car to building.
I agree that weather is going to come with different extremes depending on where and when. I will say that layers are the key during winters up here and winters can be unpredictable. For example, it was around 50-60 on Sunday in much of Central NY.

To the OP, are you looking to live in the city of Plattsburgh or in the surrounding area?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:03 PM

6 posts, read 12,958 times
Quote:
You have to look at the tax situation! We are one of the higest taxed states in the union.

We can't wait to leave here. I can't imagine why you would want to live here. Can't you get the folks to move south?

I've heard Whorelando is getting worse, have you considered moving elsewhere in Florida?

Sorry for the delay,,, busy week. I here you loud and clear CCc girl. It's just the wife's parent's will not budge from canuckustan!

And frankly, after 23 years with my wife, she's never adjusted to the heat. She is a northerner all the way.

This is not necessarily a move for economic reasons,,, and of course I know it is still important to weigh all costs.

We understand the grass is not greener. In fact we know Ill have to take a hefty pay cut. It will just be nice to get away from the crime, heat, traffic and crime.

I hope things work out for you here!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 12,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree that weather is going to come with different extremes depending on where and when. I will say that layers are the key during winters up here and winters can be unpredictable. For example, it was around 50-60 on Sunday in much of Central NY.

To the OP, are you looking to live in the city of Plattsburgh or in the surrounding area?
We would like to buy somewhere between Plattsburgh and Champlain. We figure after renting for a bit, we'll be able pinpoint an area with more accuracy.

The weather should not be a problem, we both enjoy extremely cold temperatures.

Am I right in figuring 300.00 - 325.00 monthly average for oil heat in a 1300 sq ft home?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Plumber View Post
We would like to buy somewhere between Plattsburgh and Champlain. We figure after renting for a bit, we'll be able pinpoint an area with more accuracy.

Am I right in figuring 300.00 - 325.00 monthly average for oil heat in a 1300 sq ft home?
So, it sounds like places such as Beekmantown, Chazy and Rouses Point. Rouses Point has its own power company and may be worth a look for that reason. I'm not sure about oil heat or if it would be necessary though. With villages, taxes may be higher, but this isn't necessarily the case. Here's info in the electric company in Rouses Point: Electric Department | The Village of Rouses Point

Community Development | The Village of Rouses Point

Old 12-27-2013, 08:57 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Plumber View Post

I am pretty sure that the city of Plattsburgh has natural gas available supplied by NYSEG. A few suburban areas up towards Rouses Point also have natural gas. Having natural gas heating will save you big bucks over fuel oil and propane, especially if your new house is well insulated..

Burlington and the towns surrounding it also have natural gas, the only places in Vermont with natural gas. The gas is piped in from Canada, which is a good thing because pipeline constraints have pushed up the price of natural gas in most other cities in New England.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 PM

Here's information on the city of Plattsburgh's power company: City of Plattsburgh

Rouses Point and the city of Plattsburgh get their power from here: New York Power Authority: About Us

New York Power Authority Municipal and Cooperative Customers Map

It is supposed to be more affordable than other providers.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
How often do you plan on visiting the relatives in Montreal? if its in the 4-5 times a year range you might consider further south between Lake George to Albany area for more opportunity in the job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York